Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 19:12 kanniballl

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 18:31:
"Kind of don't blame them," what could you possibly blame them for? Unless they were taking a blank check from some relief organization meant for repairing the lines, and opting for a much more expensive solution that would benefit them, this is nothing but a GOOD thing. Almost makes me want a tropical storm around here... I'd love me some FiOS.

I heard about this, and someone was talking about it by the water cooler. They were annoyed because their parents (I don't know where) are in a similar situation as Blue.

No hard-line service, and the estimation still says it's a long ways out.

The guy was saying "I imagine it's about this FIOS Replacement thing... they really should get the copper working instead since phones are a necessity in an emergency"

And I guess I can see where he's coming from. It's one thing if your Internet connection is down for months, but for some people having their landline down for months is inexcusable. What if they need to dial 911? What if they don't have cellphones (I know some people that don't). etc.

Me: in that situation, I'd say that the infrastructure upgrade is probably worth it. Maybe have them give out some free (low-quality) prepaid phones to customers that are affected so they can make some calls.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 18:31 jacobvandy

"Kind of don't blame them," what could you possibly blame them for? Unless they were taking a blank check from some relief organization meant for repairing the lines, and opting for a much more expensive solution that would benefit them, this is nothing but a GOOD thing. Almost makes me want a tropical storm around here... I'd love me some FiOS.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 18:11 kanniballl

jdreyer wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 15:06:
I guess that's why Blue's land line will be out of commission for so long: using the disaster as an opportunity to upgrade to FiOS.

In many ways, I kind of don't blame them.

If sections go so entirely thrashed that you need to replace large stretches of stuff... you might as well go with something newer and modern. And if it has the potential to boost your revenue stream in the long-term, then all-the-better.

It's like your computer... maybe it's doing a good enough job as it is. But if it takes a massive dump (CPU overheated, spilled water, etc.) then you might as well upgrade it a little instead of trying to find 3 year old parts.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2012, 15:06 jdreyer

I guess that's why Blue's land line will be out of commission for so long: using the disaster as an opportunity to upgrade to FiOS.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo