Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?

Valve expands upon their plans for hardware, with Gabe Newell telling Kotaku they hope to begin selling appliance-style PCs next year to provide a turnkey way to play Steam games in the living room using the service's new Big Picture Mode. He explains this will help to unify two oddly defined environments:

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

57. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 08:26 RollinThundr

Trevellian wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 01:12:
Prez wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 20:16:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 19:41:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 16:50:
If it makes PC gaming easier for the masses I'm for it.

Though I would argue that PC gaming is already pretty damn easy these days.

Please no. I'd appreciate if the Brotards stuck to their console COD slop and left the PC gaming to intelligent people.

"Here we see the curious, solitary animal known as the "PC Elitist" in a web forum, its natural habitat! Look how he encircles his prey with insults and silly, baseless arrogance before he pounces! This is amazing!"

Too bad you can't type in an Australian accent - it would have given it a more authentic nature show feel.

I'm hardly a PC Elitist. I have my PS3 and I play many games on it. It was more of a jab at the fact that the majority of the console fanbase are now Brotards thanks to games like COD. There is a reason why specific genre's such as the Eastern RPG (FF, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean etc) have all but died out on the current generation of consoles when on the original Playstation when it was still "Not cool" to be a gamer they flourished. In fact the short attention span of the Brotard led to things like the streamlining of the more recent Final Fantasy's which pissed off a lot of it's original followers. Feel free to disagree with me if you'd like. But I am correct. PC Gaming feels like the last bastion against stupidity sometimes... and even that is stretching it.

Eastern JRPG's died off because of a lack of innovation. I blame Nintendo really, Japanese game makers seem to be stuck in the same rut they've been in for years. Remaking the same few games over and over and over while the west has moved on to other things.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 08:18 Fibrocyte

shihonage wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 18:21:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 17:02:
Apparently one part of Windows 8 being a walled garden makes it a "catastrophe" but an entire box being a walled garden is A-OK if Valve does it. OK Gabe, sure. And yeah, he said "our hardware will be a very controlled environment,"

He wants to think Windows 8 is a "catastrophe" because of the completely optional Windows Store, that's his opinion and that's cool. But if Valve's going to do the same thing with the entirety of their living room box, I can't see how that's anything but hypocritical. I don't run Windows 8 and honestly, do kind of want to see Metro flop. But this seems a little two-faced to me.

Wrong.

A game console SHOULD be a walled garden. A desktop PC should NOT.

It's that simple.

Yea because nothing new should ever be invented or dreamed up and there's just no place for hybrids.

I think YOU'RE that simple.

55. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 07:23 Dades

You can get an i3 with 4GB ram in a small form factor, this is definitely possible for moderate gaming. The AMD hudson platform is pretty cool, I was playing Portal 2 on one over the weekend. Fits into the palm of your hand, would be neat for playing light games on the TV.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

54. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 03:39 Armengar

This is going to cut too many corners in order to be commercially viable. Im guessing that it will need to run windows in order to use the most of the catalogue. Since size will be a factor im also guessing it will effectively be a glorified laptop interior.

Big question of AMD or intel really. Im guessing a deal with AMD, they need the business and probably have tons of low power llano esque components sat around collecting dust. So an AMD with a reasonable high detail 720 medium detail 1080 GPU.

It wont be powerful enough for most people. That being said it probably only needs to be optomised for 2 resolutions - 720 and 1080

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

53. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 03:37 lvitriol

Valve = drm, gtfo.  

more sp.

52. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 01:31 dj LiTh

I see failure in the future for this project. For it to work how they want they'd have to put linux on the box, and for that to work they'd have to have atleast most of their games be linux compatible, which just is not going to happen. So which means they going to try to compete with what homemade htpc's that can do more.

They would be a lot better served just selling a custom linux distro than trying to sell hardware. Especially if they arent making the hardware themselves.

51. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 01:31 netnerd85

Meanwhile the Steam Forums are still down. How useless is this company.  

50. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 01:12 Trevellian

Please no. I'd appreciate if the Brotards stuck to their console COD slop and left the PC gaming to intelligent people.

"Here we see the curious, solitary animal known as the "PC Elitist" in a web forum, its natural habitat! Look how he encircles his prey with insults and silly, baseless arrogance before he pounces! This is amazing!"

Too bad you can't type in an Australian accent - it would have given it a more authentic nature show feel.

I'm hardly a PC Elitist. I have my PS3 and I play many games on it. It was more of a jab at the fact that the majority of the console fanbase are now Brotards thanks to games like COD. There is a reason why specific genre's such as the Eastern RPG (FF, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean etc) have all but died out on the current generation of consoles when on the original Playstation when it was still "Not cool" to be a gamer they flourished. In fact the short attention span of the Brotard led to things like the streamlining of the more recent Final Fantasy's which pissed off a lot of it's original followers. Feel free to disagree with me if you'd like. But I am correct. PC Gaming feels like the last bastion against stupidity sometimes... and even that is stretching it.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2012, 01:30.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

49. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 00:41 Bumpy

Couch PC, eh? I feel it will certainly increase the PC market share BUT in a bad direction - the mass appeal, dumbed down market.

I'm already not buying hardly any PC games cause they, for the majority; are all console designed, simplified and tech limited.

I am disappoint.

48. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 21:34 Prez

Fletch wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 20:53:
nin wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:27:
No worries! Your comments actually get read!

On that note, why am I seeing RT posts? Is "ignore" broke/disabled?

When you reply to a quote, make sure the "Remember Me" button is checked. The ignore script works on cookies I think.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

47. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:53 Fletch

nin wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:27:
No worries! Your comments actually get read!

On that note, why am I seeing RT posts? Is "ignore" broke/disabled?

46. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:38 Lorcin

I'm intrigued - if it's a PC hooked to a TV that only supports a controller then no sale. If it has a full keyboard with a mouse locked into a box where the number pad normally is then I'd be very interested.  

45. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:34 Slashman

Good one!

44. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:33 PHJF

Price/Specs or GTFO...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

43. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:16 Prez

42. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 20:11 DangerDog

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 18:23:
RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:35:
You know there was one company that was the king of PC gaming and then it made a console and it nearly ruined PC gaming.

But then there was this awesome game company that made a awesome digital download service that people trusted with their games that helped keep PC gaming relevant and afloat.

But then they made a console....

That sums it up really well. Good-bye desktop PC gaming. Not tomorrow but gaming as we know it will look very different in five years from now. The last hope for us desktop PC gamers is that indies and crowdfunded games are going to be successful enough to keep the desktop alive.

I think PC gaming is going to go through a transition, but then again so is the way we use computers in general - and not just with regards to tablets.

I'm hoping it's something virtual reality like Oculus Rift, Google and Valve think it's going to be augmented reality. We have a ways to go before either are viable.

41. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 19:41 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

40. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 19:33 noman

shihonage wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 18:21:
Wrong.

A game console SHOULD be a walled garden. A desktop PC should NOT.

It's that simple.

Windows Store is optional. You can play all games (from 80s, 90s, 2000s and this decade) and any obscure emulator you can think of on Windows8, just as well as in previous Windows OS.

Once again, this thing will be hyped up by Valve fans and the gaming media. The fact is, any PC you buy or build today, comes with HDMI out (even on the cheapest motherboards) and where the audio is also routed through HDMI. Running a gaming HTPC is just about connecting the PC to the TV, and having a PC case that's on the smaller side and relatively quiet. From then on, WMC is an awesome application that works great with a remote, and basically has no equal regarding LiveTV/DVR capabilities. You have WMC, XBMC, Flex and tons of other applications that manage media streaming in far better way than Steam. You can also run Origin, Uplay, Steam, or games with no DRM equally well with no issues.

Then again, we have PC developers like Notch coming out with idiotic statement about how Steam big picture has made connecting PCs with a TV so much easier and with so fewer cables. Apparently Valve invented HDMI spec, PC games, media streaming, Homegrouup, UPnP etc.

39. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 19:07 MisterBenn

It sounds like a way to make couch gaming-compatible PC games available to the non enthusiast market. If a game can be played fully with controllers and has text size and gameplay that works from across a room then you can install it preconfigured and ready to play as all the target hardware is known.

Valve can presumably offer current and future games from their catalogue this way and target all the people who might play PC games but who don't want the hassle of maintaining a gaming PC. They are just opening up a new market, some games like MMOs, competitive FPSs, RTS and so on will still be only playable on a regular PC and the demand for them isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Playing: Path of Exile.

38. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 18:38 Prez

I'm not getting the assumption that him saying "hardware will be a very controlled environment" automatically means "walled garden" (jeez I hate that silly term). I take 'hardware being a controlled environment' to mean that the parts are proprietary (no upgrading with off-the-shelf PC parts to eliminate hardware incompatibility issues) and fixed (no overclocking or tweaking that could potentially cause system instability). If he had said that the software will be a very controlled environment then yeah, I would be thinking Apple or Windows 8. He didn't say that. If Valve is calling it a PC then I think he means an open software environment like any PC, though I could be wrong. Of course, if it is a controlled hardware AND software environment that makes it a console, not a PC. We'll see.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 18:43.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo