Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?

Valve expands upon their plans for hardware, with Gabe Newell telling Kotaku they hope to begin selling appliance-style PCs next year to provide a turnkey way to play Steam games in the living room using the service's new Big Picture Mode. He explains this will help to unify two oddly defined environments:

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

17. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:58 DangerDog

Valve shouldn't step into the hardware arena, lots of software companies end up eating it when they branch into such a burdensome extension to their business.

A linux based PC isn't going to be a hot seller since you can't take along all your games that you've purchased through Steam to it.

These android based mini console/pc's have a better chance at success, google has 70%+ of the cell phone market making all these types of devices more consumer friendly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:58 Hellbinder

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:21:
I hope this flops harder than the non existent Phantom.

the PC market is collapsing.. do you want to play games or not.

The Whales name is Bob.

15. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:45 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:27:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:22:
Sounds like the "Phantom Console" is finally coming to fruition.

EDIT: Doh! Posted within a minute of RollinThundr!

No worries! Your comments actually get read!

Way to be a douche nin. Well done.

14. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:44 Gocows

The Gabe-box!  

13. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:41 necrosis

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:35:
Bad move. It's the tv that will be the computer in a year or two. He should be working with the tv manufacturers to sign deals to have steam a default app on the tv. Why waste money on a another console type thing? Gabe needs to rethink his plan.
I like this idea!

Basically your personal OnLive/Gaikai. Leave your high end PC in your computer room or wherever and stream it to your big assed TV over Ethernet.

Once in a blue moon I do like to play a game on my large TV instead of at my desk. Here I don't have to buy another machine or drag my computer into the room.

12. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:36 Creston

I guess they're going to market that as a console? Because their existing customer base is not very likely to go and buy this...

Creston

11. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:36 Smellfinger

DRMbox  

10. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:35 Steele Johnson

Bad move. It's the tv that will be the computer in a year or two. He should be working with the tv manufacturers to sign deals to have steam a default app on the tv. Why waste money on a another console type thing? Gabe needs to rethink his plan.  

9. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:35 RaZ0r!

You know there was one company that was the king of PC gaming and then it made a console and it nearly ruined PC gaming.

But then there was this awesome game company that made a awesome digital download service that people trusted with their games that helped keep PC gaming relevant and afloat.

But then they made a console....

8. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:33 ChaosEngine

Simon Says wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:26:
So Gabe, on one side you hate Win8 for it's Walled Garden approach and on the other side you want to build a Walled Garden of your own and that is OK? Yeah... right!

Do you get internet under your rock? Because if you do, you might have heard something about Valve porting Steam and their games to linux.

Personally, I'm not a linux fan, but if you want open, there ya go.

7. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:27 nin

wtf_man wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:22:

No worries! Your comments actually get read!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:26 Simon Says

So Gabe, on one side you hate Win8 for it's Walled Garden approach and on the other side you want to build a Walled Garden of your own and that is OK? Yeah... right!  

5. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:25 Hellbinder

hmm.. wonder if they will end up taking out the big three.. they have the user base.. they have the games can they rebuild it? make it better .. stronger... faster?  
The Whales name is Bob.

4. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:22 wtf_man

3. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:21 RollinThundr

I hope this flops harder than the non existent Phantom.  

2. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:20 El Pit

Call your console V'ger! Trekkies, rejoice!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

1. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:16 nin

The VBox!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo