Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls II Announced

This portion of the Spike video game awards introduces Dark Souls II, an upcoming sequel to the challenging action/RPG. Eurogamer has details from Eurogamer.cz from a Namco Bandai's Czech announcement on this saying this is coming to Windows as well as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 14:12 Rattlehead

Dark Souls was such a refreshing game in a world of games that hold your hand on everything. It threw you into a dark, bleak world where everything is hostile minus a few NPCs. No objectives, no map, no story, barely any dialogue, nothing. Best of all what you see is what you get. You don't level up in the sense of learning new powers, only stats which are meager compared to player skill. Wake up dead(literally) into one of the most fascinating RPG worlds ever created.

It hated you but also loved you, but knew you could overcome, like an army sargent screaming jeers to grunts doing pushups in the mud. Eventually these grunts will rise to the top and make proud with enough commitment and patience.

All they need to do for Dark Souls 2 is make more of the same, do not change ANYTHING(other than making a better port). They have a formula that works, so do not fix what isn't broken From Software.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 12:34 Smellfinger

The Black Knight weapons are pretty to look at, but there are normal weapons that serve the same purpose. I beat the game using a Zweihander and you can get that an hour into the game if you figure out how to fight skeletons. You can farm Black Knight weapons before the last boss if you want, but it's not worth it unless you need to have everything.

The only thing that bothered me about Dark Souls was the inability to reset your stats and the lack of information about what stats do. Everything else about the game was fine and I still managed to beat it without looking at a wiki or FAQ.

35. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 11:56 netnerd85

PHJF wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 11:27:
Yeah but here's the thing... unless you use a FAQ you're never going to have the "best possible" anything. How the fuck is anyone going to correlate standing in place shooting arrows at a dragon's tail for ten minutes with getting the best low-level sword? Or how about the Black Knight gear which not only have poor drop rates but drop from non-respawning enemies? Or how about the fact the Tiny Being's Ring originally claimed it regenerated the wearer's health while instead only boosting max hp by a worthless 5%?
Much like any of these types of games really

I was lucky enough to get the Black Knight Greatsword (and early).

34. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 11:27 PHJF

Yeah but here's the thing... unless you use a FAQ you're never going to have the "best possible" anything. How the fuck is anyone going to correlate standing in place shooting arrows at a dragon's tail for ten minutes with getting the best low-level sword? Or how about the Black Knight gear which not only have poor drop rates but drop from non-respawning enemies? Or how about the fact the Tiny Being's Ring originally claimed it regenerated the wearer's health while instead only boosting max hp by a worthless 5%?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

33. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 11:09 Smellfinger

NicklePop wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 02:00:
Dark Souls was hard for a few hours.

Then you realize you can dodge every attack, and the game becomes stupidly easy.

You don't even need to dodge or parry anything. I beat the game by equipping the best shield possible and blocking everything. I rarely had to fight a boss more than once or twice (the first and second-to-last bosses were the hardest).

32. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 10:02 PHJF

It isn't coop at all, AFAIK there is no way to specifically play with friends (I know this was true in Demon's, I never looked into it in Dark). And in order to play with other players at all you are opening your game up to invasion by other players (forced PVP is not my cup of tea).

I loved the core of the game but some of the design decisions and rough edges really, really, REALLY rubbed me wrong. While it was fine overlooking them for the duration of Demon's they kept me from playing Dark for too long. Anyways Dragon's Dogma eventually came out and offered the same style in a less punishing package with more fleshed out combat/classes and best of all NO FUCKING PVP.

31. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 09:37 Fibrocyte

bigspender wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:52:
throws money at screen.

ds1 co-op was the best game i've played in a long time.

Is the main story coop-capable? Or is it just some additional content to play through with someone else?

30. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 05:20 Frags4Fun

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 14:47:
As long as Dark Souls II means Dark Souls: Twice the Framerate

I'm running it at 60 fps. I locked it at 60. It's pretty easy to run it at high res, tons of eye candy settings and high fps. Looks awesome too.

There are some mods required for those things though. Also a mod for the controls.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 05:27.

29. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 02:00 NicklePop

Dark Souls was hard for a few hours.

Then you realize you can dodge every attack, and the game becomes stupidly easy.

28. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 01:23 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:19:
For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

Then you get to a boss which can and will instantly kill you. GG.

Once you know the strategy to each boss they're fairly easy, though. Maybe it's just me, but I found that only a few of the bosses are actually harder than the things you face getting to them (Orenstein and Smaugh, Four Kings) but even then it's because they're faster paced than the rest of what you've dealt with.

The games definitely aren't for everyone, either way. For people looking for something similar, Dragon's Dogma is a game that gives a lot of the atmosphere without the same difficulty... although there's unfortunately no PC version of it.

27. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 00:08 Jerykk

ochentay4 wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 22:31:
PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 22:13:
How is a high-selling game with an 89% on gamerankings "underrated"? Demon's was a sleeper. DS had hype.
I couldnt care less about gamerankings/metacritic. The thing is this game is a Classic for me and I know very few people who played it.

Obscure and underrated are two very different things. Demon's Souls/Dark Souls were certainly not mainstream games but they weren't underrated either.

26. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 23:57 Cutter

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 23:51:
Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 15:34:
Omni wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 15:16:
Praise the Sun \o/

doh! Why wasn't this the first post

You're right that needs to be the next major meme on the internet. The \o/ really makes it.

Do you play Dark Souls? It's a thing in the game... it's a... thing

And no it's not that difficult once you get into the swing of things.

I played some of it on the Xbox - only gave it a rent for a few days and didn't have a lot of time to check it out when I did. I remember crying and pooping my pants in fear a good deal. I'll be picking this up on a good sale however. I like the sun though. Almost as much as Kal-el does.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 23:51 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 15:34:
Omni wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 15:16:
Praise the Sun \o/

doh! Why wasn't this the first post

You're right that needs to be the next major meme on the internet. The \o/ really makes it.

Do you play Dark Souls? It's a thing in the game... it's a... thing

And no it's not that difficult once you get into the swing of things.

24. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 23:41 Prez

Yeah, I wouldn't call it underrated. Most of the reviews were pretty glowing when they weren't talking about how bad of a port it is. Of course they also mentioned the merciless difficulty that would make wusses like me cry like a biotch, so I stayed away.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 22:31 ochentay4

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 22:13:
How is a high-selling game with an 89% on gamerankings "underrated"? Demon's was a sleeper. DS had hype.
I couldnt care less about gamerankings/metacritic. The thing is this game is a Classic for me and I know very few people who played it.

22. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 22:13 PHJF

21. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 21:40 Yakubs

Prez wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 19:58:
I am willing to accept that those of you who think Dark souls isn't that hard are just far better at games than me in general. No I haven't tried it, but I have played games like it and struggled mightily with them. So when a game comes along that takes such pride in its difficulty and wears it like a badge of honor, I avoid it like the plague.

Dark/Demon Souls reminds me a little of the old Mario games in terms of difficulty. They're only hard if you refuse to take your time, although the game does demand a little manual dexterity from time to time.

20. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 21:15 ochentay4

Yeahh!!! Dark Souls was the first ARPG that I litterally dreamt about for weeks trying to figure out how to beat those motherf*ker bosses. For me its the game of the decade, totally underrated, and I say this being a FPS fan and played a lot of A-RPG.  

19. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 20:52 bigspender

throws money at screen.

ds1 co-op was the best game i've played in a long time.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

18. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 20:38 Overon

Dark Souls is probably the worst PC port since Resident Evil. The thing that makes it better is the modding that the guy did with hack dx 9 dll that allowed higher resolutions and texture replacement and generally better graphics overall.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2012, 20:44.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo