Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer

The Sniper Elite V2 Community Forum has a post from Rebellion senior management on multiplayer support in the original Sniper Elite, saying this was was switched off by Glu, the third-party now responsible for the shooter's GameSpy multiplayer support. As noted on Slashdot, Glu acquired the GameSpy multiplayer technology from IGN in August of this year (apologies for missing this then -- interestingly, this is not even yet reflected in the Wikipedia), saying at the time: "There will be no disruption in service to GameSpy's current customers and contracts as a result of this acquisition by Glu." Rebellion says that after seven years they will no longer be able to provide multiplayer support, as they are locked in by the current economics of having used the GameSpy middleware:

"A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them.

For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free.

This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control.

We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year - far in excess of how much we were paying previously. We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider. Because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy’s middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

While we are not happy about the situation, as an independent developer we simply do not have the resources to pay the massive costs of new servers along with redeveloping a seven-year-old game.

We share the disappointment of fans who have played the game since it was published in 2005. This is not something we intended or wanted to happen, but unfortunately it has been beyond our control. We have always looked to support our fan community and we hope the past seven years of free multiplayer service have been evidence of that - we're sorry that the servers have been shut down in this way.

We would like to thank all the fans who have continued to support Rebellion and Sniper Elite."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: GameSpy Arcade Dec 10, 2012, 16:30 Ant

Jeraxle wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 07:48:
nin wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 00:11:
Jeraxle wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 00:08:
Ant wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 17:46:
I still have GameSpy Arcade v2.0.5 installed on my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine. It still runs except script errors from web pages. I didn't try gaming with it though. There are still people in a few lobbies!!

Do you know of a good download link Ant?

Google sez...

Thanks nin!

So, did the games still work in old GameSpy Arcade? I haven't used it forever.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 10, 2012, 15:02 Verno

Gamespy had a bunch of lifetime contracts that they apparently aren't honoring anymore. Don't get me wrong, lifetime contract doesn't mean what it used to but these contracts are barely surviving a decade, let alone a lifetime.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

45. Re: GameSpy Arcade Dec 10, 2012, 07:48 Jeraxle

nin wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 00:11:
I still have GameSpy Arcade v2.0.5 installed on my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine. It still runs except script errors from web pages. I didn't try gaming with it though. There are still people in a few lobbies!!

Google sez...

Thanks nin!

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

44. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 10, 2012, 04:27 Shadowcat

I guess this is what they meant by "Powered by Gamespy".  

43. Re: GameSpy Arcade Dec 10, 2012, 00:21 Ant

Nope. I had mine installed since 10/3/2004! Dang.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

42. Re: GameSpy Arcade Dec 10, 2012, 00:11 nin

Google sez...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: GameSpy Arcade Dec 10, 2012, 00:08 Jeraxle

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

40. GameSpy Arcade Dec 9, 2012, 17:46 Ant

39. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 17:09 Burrito of Peace

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 10:19:
Better than anything.

Get out more. I can name dozens of things better than clicking a mouse button in a campfest, and I enjoy the shit out of gaming.

38. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 16:51 Ant

Open source the server code!  

37. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 10:19 netnerd85

Just played some Sniping Camp fest fun! But of course, my killing streak was met with revenge. When you suddenly hear foot steps, running towards you. The grenade icon appears on the hud. "Oh shit", time to run! Pistols blazing. Dodging bullets to the next cover.

What a rush. Better than anything.

Sniping games rule!

36. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 09:44 Dev

Julio wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 07:16:
If it was EA, multiplayer would have been turned off after 1 year not 7.
LOL you got that right. I've seen their list of games they close down online stuff for, and some of them are less than a year after release.

Just in case anyone wants to check:
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

35. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 ViRGE

Flatline wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 06:41:
Whats interesting is that Flight Sim X is in there. I know there's still a relatively strong community surrounding the MS Flight Sim games. That must have pissed a lot of people off.
The FSX guys can just directly connect to servers (which is why I don't think this issue should be conflated with dedicated servers). Still, they're none the bit pleased about this.

34. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 07:16 Julio

If it was EA, multiplayer would have been turned off after 1 year not 7.  

33. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 06:41 Flatline

KilrathiAce wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:23:
ViRGE wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:15:
Overon wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 19:28:
Another argument for dedicated servers.
This has nothing to do with dedicated servers. It has everything to do with the server browser itself.

Actually it does, because the game itself does not allow one to host a server and another person to join at all without gamespy auth and server browser. So while its not only ability to host dedicated or peer to peer server its also issue of auth service.

Tribes 1 & 2 survived the master browser being shut off. All you need is a new master browser server and a line of text pointing to this new server, and you're good to go.

The problem is that I'm sure even if the community started a new master browser with auth turned off and issued a fan patch to point to the new server, this Glu company would sue the bejeebus out of whoever did this.

Whats interesting is that Flight Sim X is in there. I know there's still a relatively strong community surrounding the MS Flight Sim games. That must have pissed a lot of people off.

32. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 01:42 J

I enjoyed the Sniper Elite V2 multiplayer. Just my opinion. Don't shoot. Haters gonna hate.  

31. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 00:32 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:05:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 15:05:
Opinion? No, you are just being rude. You have NO idea what you are talking about. Try it. Then, maybe if you don't like it then hey, say "I don't like it, not for me". No need to be a complete cock is there? No. There is not.

Ahh, delicious irony. Nothing like someone being a cock about someone else being a cock. Rather than kick a man for not bowing low enough you need to first learn to bow yourself. Your indignation and self-righteousness is way out of line. And for the record, most people find campfests to be boring.
Cock on the mind?

My horse may have been high and standing on the shoulders of another horse, but it's not very nice to point and laugh when someone falls - is it not?

There are a lot of people that like Sniping games and the whole point of Sniping games is to sit and wait. There is a lot of fun in it. When I first bought SNiper Ghost Warrior I had no intention of playing the MP and it took months before one day for some reason I did. It was amazing fun and the people are friendly.

My other crazy comment was in reference to a fact we all forget about that not every gamer is young or has full use of their limbs. A slow paced game like a sniping game is one way for these people to still enjoy the fun of online gaming with others.

I've heard some touching stories recently that has made me think very differently about how powerful online communities are. And how important they are to some isolated people. To have that suddenly taken away for some people is upsetting.

30. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 23:56 netnerd85

silvaril wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:34:
Here following a list of games I know to be thus far affected:

• Hidden and Dangerous 2

• Microsoft Flight Simulator X

• Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

• Sniper Elite

• Star Wars: Battlefront

• Swat 4

• Sword of the Stars

• Wings of War
  • That's a pretty solid WTF list. I knew about H&D2, you can try this: http://www.nomandown.com/hd2/servers/

29. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 22:08 Lokust

This seems like the sort of thing a fan patch would be able to correct. I mean if fans were able to ADD multiplayer to Just Cause 2, I'm sure they could hack the server browsing aspect of this title.  

28. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 20:23 KilrathiAce

ViRGE wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:15:
    Overon wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 19:28:
    Another argument for dedicated servers.
    This has nothing to do with dedicated servers. It has everything to do with the server browser itself.

Actually it does, because the game itself does not allow one to host a server and another person to join at all without gamespy auth and server browser. So while its not only ability to host dedicated or peer to peer server its also issue of auth service.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
    Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo