Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer

The Sniper Elite V2 Community Forum has a post from Rebellion senior management on multiplayer support in the original Sniper Elite, saying this was was switched off by Glu, the third-party now responsible for the shooter's GameSpy multiplayer support. As noted on Slashdot, Glu acquired the GameSpy multiplayer technology from IGN in August of this year (apologies for missing this then -- interestingly, this is not even yet reflected in the Wikipedia), saying at the time: "There will be no disruption in service to GameSpy's current customers and contracts as a result of this acquisition by Glu." Rebellion says that after seven years they will no longer be able to provide multiplayer support, as they are locked in by the current economics of having used the GameSpy middleware:

"A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them.

For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free.

This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control.

We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year - far in excess of how much we were paying previously. We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider. Because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy’s middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

While we are not happy about the situation, as an independent developer we simply do not have the resources to pay the massive costs of new servers along with redeveloping a seven-year-old game.

We share the disappointment of fans who have played the game since it was published in 2005. This is not something we intended or wanted to happen, but unfortunately it has been beyond our control. We have always looked to support our fan community and we hope the past seven years of free multiplayer service have been evidence of that - we're sorry that the servers have been shut down in this way.

We would like to thank all the fans who have continued to support Rebellion and Sniper Elite."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

7. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 15:02 netnerd85

Prez wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 14:58:
Don't be so fucking rude and thick headed.

Seriously? You got "rude" and "thick-headed" out of that? Jesus, that's sad.
You called it: "awful,boring,stupid"

So, Yes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:58 Prez

Don't be so fucking rude and thick headed.

Seriously? You got "rude" and "thick-headed" out of that? Jesus, that's sad.

I think it was a TB video for V2 that showed multiplayer, and I laughed my ass off. It was basically everyone camping (which, since you're a sniper...) and every 5-10 minutes someone would get bored and try to reposition/move themselves, only to get killed.

I could easily see how it could get boring, but an entire map full of campers (with very little shooting going on) made me giggle.

Shhhhh! You'll upset netnerd's delicate sensibilities.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:43 Dev

I RTFA and got this:
There will be no disruption in service to GameSpy's current customers and contracts as a result of this acquisition by Glu.

If rebellion has a contract about the service they could probably sue to get it back on, especially since they can show they said publicly it wouldn't change.

4. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:42 netnerd85

Prez wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 14:23:
The multiplayer has been universally described as awful anyway. Apparently a sniper-only multiplayer match is every but as boring and stupid as it sounds.
Just because you dont like it doesn't mean there aren't MANY people that do. Don't be so fucking rude and thick headed.

I don't play Sniper Elite but I do play Sniper Ghost Warrior and the multiplayer experience is the second best I have ever come across (first being Red Faction). Amazing people.

3. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:41 Dev

Protip: Use steam and things like this can be avoided. I think GFWL was in existence even back then, so even that piece of crap could have been used and probably gotten a kickback from MS.  

2. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:40 nin

Apparently a sniper-only multiplayer match is every but as boring and stupid as it sounds.

I think it was a TB video for V2 that showed multiplayer, and I laughed my ass off. It was basically everyone camping (which, since you're a sniper...) and every 5-10 minutes someone would get bored and try to reposition/move themselves, only to get killed.

I could easily see how it could get boring, but an entire map full of campers (with very little shooting going on) made me giggle.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 14:23 Prez

The multiplayer has been universally described as awful anyway. Apparently a sniper-only multiplayer match is every but as boring and stupid as it sounds.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo