Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: I have quad core systems! Dec 10, 2012, 14:31 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 14:21:
Well I guess for flash games you could hit a cpu ceiling without at least 2 cores, but an I7? Your CPU is likely boring itself to death, wouldn't be surprised if you are the cause of the Skynet uprising.. ;p
"We are Antz. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile."

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: I have quad core systems! Dec 10, 2012, 14:21 eRe4s3r

Well I guess for flash games you could hit a cpu ceiling without at least 2 cores, but an I7? Your CPU is likely boring itself to death, wouldn't be surprised if you are the cause of the Skynet uprising.. ;p  

19. Re: I have quad core systems! Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 10:25:
Even a P4 could fulfill your needs. ^^
Not really. I have PreScotts. Too slow IMO!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: I have quad core systems! Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 eRe4s3r

Even a P4 could fulfill your needs. ^^  

17. I have quad core systems! Dec 9, 2012, 16:26 Ant

Q8200 and i7 950. I was thinking of upgrading them again for this Christmas 2012 break, but I decided not to since I don't play computer games (just random and quick Flash games) these days and I still use old, updated 32-bit Windows XP Pro. SP3 and 64-bit Debian stable, and old PCIe 512 MB video cards (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and ATI Radeon 4870). All I do is use my computers for desktop usages, using the Internet, watch videos (online and locally), etc. Nothing fancy.  

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 9, 2012, 14:31 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 13:41:
I still run an Core 2 Duo E8600... and I bought a GTX680 about 6 months ago.

While my CPU is a bottleneck for that video card... it's still plenty fast.

But once you get a much more modern quad or better... you'll see there is a bigger difference then what you might think.

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2012, 13:41 wtf_man

I still run an Core 2 Duo E8600... and I bought a GTX680 about 6 months ago.

While my CPU is a bottleneck for that video card... it's still plenty fast. A modern AMD CPU would be even less of a bottleneck... so, I think they are still a viable solution for gaming.

One just isn't going to get bragging rights in benchmarks... whooptie-doo.

That said... I personally would still choose Intel over AMD because they lost their way. In the Athlon era it was performance per clock... and they trounced the Pentium 4. Intel has reversed that with the Core 2 series and onward. Clock for Clock, Intel just wipes the floor with AMD.... and bang for buck wise, you are getting what you pay for. Even the cheaper Core i3's are kicking the shit out of AMD in many scenarios... that's just sad. So, I'm saying I'd go core i3 before I'd go AMD for a budget build... but I'll probably go core i5 on my next build (or whatever comes after Ivy Bridge)

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 13:53.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 9, 2012, 12:08 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 02:14:
I bought a Bulldozer CPU (the 6300 I think - I'm not at home so I can't check) for my new build and it is extremely fast; certainly a massive upgrade over the first-gen Phenom I was running. I've seen the benchmarks and it's clear that without overclocking the Bulldozer chip can't touch an i5, but seeing as how I got it, the mobo, and 8 gigs of memory for around the same money as just the i5 would have cost me, I am thrilled with what I got for the money. I have always used AMD cpu's and have never really been disappointed by them - while slower than Intel, they have always been so much cheaper that I could afford far better video cards and motherboards. The choice was made especially easy for me as cpu power became less and less important (relative to the GPU) as time went on. I will miss AMD CPU's when they inevitably disappear, and not just because of the lack of competition for Intel.

I get a lot of that, but there was a shift not too long ago where cpu speed is once again a top need, it's not as GPU heavy as it used to me, imo. I've had both, I always go price/performance, however if they are close I do go Intel/Nvidia because they are the better standard. I haven't owned AMD stuff for quite a while now, even though their VC's are right there with NVidia, but since that is so close I go with the better supported brand.

But here is the story teller, single thread performance:
AMD fx 8350 scores 1533 (Their best)
Intel i5-3570 scores 2014

This also gives an interesting picture:
Intel vs AMD @ 3ghz

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 12:31.

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 9, 2012, 11:58 HorrorScope

DangerDog wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:44:
Intel isn't on sure footing right now either, the desktop / laptop market is getting trounced by tablets - and very few of those use intel chips right now.

Trounced? 4 to 1 PC to Tablet. Yes one is down YoY and another up, but that doesn't mean Tablets are outselling PC's. Intel is performing very well.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2012, 02:14 Prez

I bought a Bulldozer CPU (the 6300 I think - I'm not at home so I can't check) for my new build and it is extremely fast; certainly a massive upgrade over the first-gen Phenom I was running. I've seen the benchmarks and it's clear that without overclocking the Bulldozer chip can't touch an i5, but seeing as how I got it, the mobo, and 8 gigs of memory for around the same money as just the i5 would have cost me, I am thrilled with what I got for the money. I have always used AMD cpu's and have never really been disappointed by them - while slower than Intel, they have always been so much cheaper that I could afford far better video cards and motherboards. The choice was made especially easy for me as cpu power became less and less important (relative to the GPU) as time went on. I will miss AMD CPU's when they inevitably disappear, and not just because of the lack of competition for Intel.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 02:23.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 23:27 Dades

The channel is flooded right now at several price ranges as the overall desktop PC market demand has weakened, it makes no sense to keep dumping into it. Their graphics and APU lines are very strong, they will be fine.

Intel's prices don't have much room to skyrocket, they are already quite high.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 22:45 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 21:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 18:34:
It's sad but it seems like they had every chance to succeed.

I hope ATI doesn't fail though. It's going to suck if there's only one video chip manufacturer and one CPU manufacturer..

The ATI guys seem to be the only ones keeping AMD alive.

That, and ATI chips are slated to be in both the next gen XBox and Playstation. Even if the AMD procs cease to be, the graphics business will survive on its own or be sold off for sure.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 21:42 Fantaz

I hope ATI doesn't fail though. It's going to suck if there's only one video chip manufacturer and one CPU manufacturer..

The ATI guys seem to be the only ones keeping AMD alive.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 19:55 jdreyer

Wow, the news just gets worse and worse for AMD. Saw this yesteraday, and am just not sure how they'll pull out. I really appreciated what they were doing with Fusion, and CPU power is getting less and less important. The vast majority of people don't need a Core i7 for Facebook, web surfing, and Mafia Wars. You'd think they'd have better market share. (I realize mobile and tablets are eating into sales, I'm just saying relative to Intel).

@Halfie: dude, seriously, there were other players in the market when 3DFX went under. In the Wintel sphere there is only Intel and AMD.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 19:00 The Half Elf

3DFX FOREVER MAN!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 18:45 wtf_man

Someone will buy ATi... MS for Surface Devices? Apple? Samsung? some other Android Device Manufacturer?

Since Apple already makes their own CPUs... it might make sense for them to grab up ATi.

Who knows... but I'm pretty sure AMD would need to sell off ATi before going completely under.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 18:34 Silicon Avatar

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 17:44 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 16:46:
Yeah, I don't see them staying afloat much longer. They just can't repeat their Athlon success, and Intel is trouncing them on all fronts.

Better buy some Intel CPUs before AMD goes under, because I can guarantee their (Intel's) prices are going to skyrocket once AMD is gone. Not only that, but the whole "CPU soldered to the motherboard" thing will get implemented not long afterwards as well.

It'll be a really shitty day when Intel becomes the cole PC CPU manufacturer.

Creston

Intel isn't on sure footing right now either, the desktop / laptop market is getting trounced by tablets - and very few of those use intel chips right now.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 17:14 Cutter

In a new agreement signed with manufacturing partner GlobalFoundries, AMD reduced its promised silicon wafer purchases to just $115 million, down from $500 million, while agreeing to pay a $320 million penalty for the order change over the next year.

So why not just buy the chips in that case and sell them at cost? At least they won't lose anything and it'll get them into the public mind.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2012, 16:46 Creston

Yeah, I don't see them staying afloat much longer. They just can't repeat their Athlon success, and Intel is trouncing them on all fronts.

Better buy some Intel CPUs before AMD goes under, because I can guarantee their (Intel's) prices are going to skyrocket once AMD is gone. Not only that, but the whole "CPU soldered to the motherboard" thing will get implemented not long afterwards as well.

It'll be a really shitty day when Intel becomes the cole PC CPU manufacturer.

Creston

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo