Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 10, 2012, 04:51 Jerykk

The challenges are retroactive, so once you complete them, they are permanently completed even if you restart the level. The idea is that you play through the level multiple times to complete all the challenges, then complete the level for real to get your final score. It's a pretty contrived way to promote replayability. Sadly, if you want to get Silent Assassin on most of the levels, you'll have to complete the challenges as that's the only way to get enough points.

I'm not really sure why they thought it was a good idea to make a Hitman game where the vast majority of the game has nothing to do with assassination. I understand the desire to make it more story-driven and cinematic but they could have done that while still having assassinations in every level. The Contracts mode seems like a band-aid for this. It's like the devs realized that there weren't enough assassination missions so they thought "Hey, let's throw in a mode where players can set up their own assassinations!" It's a cool idea but not enough to compensate for the lack of proper assassination missions.

Hopefully they recognize their mistakes and make the next game more like Blood Money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2012, 07:50 Quinn

After playing the game, I really agree with Jerykk.

I also find it horribly how much the score system is embedded to the gameplay. You see, if I want to disguise as a cook and just throttle the target to death.. that may as well be one of the lowest scores to get. Because if you decide to just use 1 disguise, you miss out on the "disguise as this guy, this guy and this guy!" 'achievement' score, so instead the game would want me to either: 1. Keep on disguising once you started to do so, or 2. Don't disguise at all and just finish the level with just your suit for the "You finished the level without disguising! w00t!" 'achievement'.

It's fucking horrible.

Also, if you look at how to get the best score and what 'achievements' per level to get... you spoil every single possibility of how to kill your target. Seriously, take one look in the "score" tab and you know you can, for example, do the following: poison your target, explode your target, electrify your target, snipe your target, push your target in a pit of acid or make him step in his own mines.

It's fucking horrible.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2012, 21:48 Jerykk

Absolution isn't a bad stealth game. It's just a bad Hitman game. Most of the missions are just about getting from point A to point B instead of assassinating any specific targets. In that respect, it plays a lot like Splinter Cell most of the time. If you enjoy Splinter Cell, you'll likely enjoy Absolution as well. However, if you're looking for another Blood Money, you'll be sorely disappointed.  

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2012, 17:10 Cutter

The Hitman Derpsolution vid on Youtube really says it all.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2012, 14:37 Prez

That Strategy Informer review wasn't so much a review as it was an editorial debunking other reviews. Maybe I am being too close-minded, but I am too busy being disappointed that the game is not like the brilliant Blood Money to really care anymore. I'll eventually pick it up for at a deep discount and judge for myself at some point, but my enthusiasm went from through the roof to non-existent in a hurry once reviews kept highlight how stifling and linear it is compared to Blood Money.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo