Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 17:31 Axis

Its obvious most of you read headlines, possibly do a a quick F pattern on the actual article, and then just throw up opinions that you think others might agree with.

Kyle quotes one sentence from Nintendo's faq, creates a future theory in his own mind, then spends the rest of his article living in the past problems comparing it to his made-up theory of how it's going to work in the future.

Anyone bother to read the FAQ he's quoting from? Here's the rest of the quote:

"In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's."

If you actually read the entire FAQ, you'll see they are obviously going to refine it, but putting in restrictions to the network account right now. Maybe it will be a netflix type of thing, where you'll 'register' a console somewhere and be able to download and play your games, or download the media to a PC to use on other consoles, who knows but they obviously stated changes will come regarding the current way it works.

Some DRM complaints are warranted, I get it. But in this day and age it's just not a big deal, at least for the large majority of people who buy Wii's. Most prefer to buy the media anyway, so it's completely irrelevant in that case.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 16:01 Jivaro

dubfanatic wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 13:46:
Prez wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:04:
So when your Wii breaks (and judging by the 2 that broke on my kids, it WILL break) you have to re-purchase all of your downloaded games? That's just bullshit.

If you send it to Nintendo for repair and you didn't modify the system, they will transfer your downloaded content to the replacement. At least that's how they did it when I worked as a Nintendo service rep about 2 years ago.

Sure they will...if you pay them. Again. I mean you already paid for the software once. Apparently in Super Bizarro World it makes complete sense that if the hardware breaks you should have to pay for the software again in some way.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 16:00 Jivaro

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 15:36:
This Ars article is relevant to this recent epiphany people are having about Nintendo's ass-backwardness of late, its only a few weeks old

Anybody thinking of buying a Wii U should read that first.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 15:03 Creston

Btw, follow that link in the story about Nintendo's DRM for an even more fantastic piece of DRM shit. That guy is basically out of 400$ worth of content.

But hey, as long as lemmings keep buying it, companies will keep fucking you over.

Creston

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 13:46 dubfanatic

Prez wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:04:
So when your Wii breaks (and judging by the 2 that broke on my kids, it WILL break) you have to re-purchase all of your downloaded games? That's just bullshit.

If you send it to Nintendo for repair and you didn't modify the system, they will transfer your downloaded content to the replacement. At least that's how they did it when I worked as a Nintendo service rep about 2 years ago.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 13:45 CrimsonPaw

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:55:
Nintendo will become completely irrelevant? I guess that's why you can't find a Wii-U in the USA for love or money?
I see them all over the place where I'm at which is interesting since this seems to be the first console launch for a while that has been that way. Maybe the peeps around me learned something from the Wii purchase.

~~Crim~~

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 13:32 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:55:
I'm sure that Pachter is just trolling everybody by now. He just wants to see how much retarded shit he can spew out before people stop paying attention to him.

Nintendo will become completely irrelevant? I guess that's why you can't find a Wii-U in the USA for love or money?

Creston

It's a new console with "Nintendo" on the box that came out at christmas time. They pretty much all sell out like that, it's the later months to a year later that tell the tale of the system.

Nintendo also learned that artificial shortages with the Wii helped created demand for the console. They'd be dumb not to be doing it again.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 12:36 Smellfinger

Call of Duty is a failure because it's too successful and discourages people from buying their competitors games.

Free multiplayer is a mistake even though it's a major selling point that keeps people playing long enough to buy the endless stream of map packs and DLC.

Black is white, slavery is freedom, etc.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 11:53 Beamer

He's right that the WoW business model is better than CoD. But I don't think CoD could sustain paid multiplayer. $60 plus $5 perhaps? Maybe, but I'd guess you'd have more people find a new game instead, which erodes the community, which makes the multiplayer less valuable, which makes fewer people pay, which erodes the community, etc.

I mean, hell, how many other MMORPGs have found that they can charge people monthly?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 11:44 Ecthelion

Verno wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:36:
It is a pretty ridiculous way to do it, like having your Steam library being tied to a specific hardware config or something.
Agreed. I think there's an option to transfer the purchases to another console, but if you lose a console before doing that, you're boned. The 3DS is the same way.

Even Sony (and they do a lot of stupid things) is smart enough to tie downloads to your PSN login, NOT a specific console.

I've read several articles saying Nintendo wants to get serious about digital downloads (for example, offering DLC for the first time with New Super Mario Bros 2). The first step is to fix their stupid console-specific purchasing system.

It's really a shame, because on the 3DS there are quite a few worthwhile downloadable games, and the Wii of course has the Virtual Console with NES, SNES, and N64 games.

Once again, Nintendo just does whatever it wants, regardless of whether it makes sense.

Jivaro wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:42:
The bad news is that you can't possibly trade in your Wii toward the purchase of a Wii U and keep your stuff. You see, you need both systems together to make the transfer. (As outlined here)
I did a trade-in upgrade from the 3DS to the 3DS XL at Gamestop, and they let me do the transfer first. Basically I bought the XL, did the transfer, then returned it and re-bought it with the trade-in the next day. It was a hassle though, and it was only necessary because of Nintendo's backwards policies.

Anyway, they might allow the same thing with the Wii U, not that this in any way excuses Nintendo's policies.

8. re: Wii U's restrictive DRM Dec 7, 2012, 11:42 Jivaro

Here is something equally baffling:

Let's say you have a Wii in perfect working order with a bunch of saves and downloaded purchases on it. You want to buy a Wii U. Gamestop has a pretty sweet trade-in deal for going from a Wii to a Wii U. The good news is that you can in fact move all of *most* of your digital purchases from the Wii to the Wii U....something nobody was really expecting considering how screwed up the Nintendo policies are.

The bad news is that you can't possibly trade in your Wii toward the purchase of a Wii U and keep your stuff. You see, you need both systems together to make the transfer. (As outlined here)

lolwut?

Anyway, Nintendo continues to be ridiculously backwards when it comes to digital distribution. I mean, let's say we throw away the whole trading in one system for another thing since that probably isn't Nintendo's priority anyway. What exactly does Nintendo think is the motivator for people to buy anything from their digital store? I bought a couple of old NES games before I realized how this all works and haven't bought anything else since then. It is money down the toilet. They are the hardware manufacturer and the software distributor, so having a system where if hardware fails people have to buy the software AGAIN is really sketchy. Like mafia loan shark sketchy.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 11:38 NegaDeath

Oh Pachter, will you ever tire of being wrong?

Verno wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:36:
It is a pretty ridiculous way to do it, like having your Steam library being tied to a specific hardware config or something.

It wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't make some obviously dumbass decision with a console release. It really is bizarre how they think. I still like their stuff but sometimes you want to smack them on their heads.

Edit: I think this quote sums up my opinion best. They can be surprisingly forward thinking on interface and design and incredibly backward on execution.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 11:47.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 11:36 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 11:19 Rigs

This seems to be the case, as each download account is tied specifically to the console and NOT the customer. Tell me that isn't the most backwards, dipshit, asinine scheme I've ever heard...smh...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 11:09 nin

I'd heard stories of people saying the original wii was the same way: your license download (ha!) was tied to the console, not the login/user.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 11:04 Prez

Each story is worthy of comment but nin covered it well for me on the subject of Activision supposedly buying Take 2, so I'll instead wonder out loud how anyone would ever put up withNintendo's asinine and insulting DRM. So when your Wii breaks (and judging by the 2 that broke on my kids, it WILL break) you have to re-purchase all of your downloaded games? That's just bullshit.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 10:55 Creston

I'm sure that Pachter is just trolling everybody by now. He just wants to see how much retarded shit he can spew out before people stop paying attention to him.

Creston

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 10:20 nin

Pachter: Activision to buy Take-Two

Fucker REALLY better be wrong this time!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo