Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 21:41 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 20:12:
Havent played GW2, i was really tempted by the huge reception it got here at blues, but it seems everyone tired of it fairly quickly.

High five Dread Lord buddie, I was on Chesapeake and had numerous people dedicated to hunting me

It wasn't that people necessarily got tired of GW2, it's that you can put it down and go play new stuff without worrying about sub fees. The playerbase tends to rise and fall with each big release. I love GW2 but I promised myself I would never pull a WoW again and let one game devour all of my free time, so I just play it casually.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 21:00 PHJF

Dragon's Dogma was my GOTY...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 20:12 dj LiTh

Havent played GW2, i was really tempted by the huge reception it got here at blues, but it seems everyone tired of it fairly quickly. For me its XCOM, turn based strategy combat with a meta game, yes please.

@Verno I miss my Dreadlord, nothing will ever compare to UO.

Edit: In Soviet Russia we start kicking you! sorry had to

13. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 19:21 MisterBenn

Can't really comment on the quality of Guild Wars 2 since I am not really an MMO player. It's Torchlight 2 for me by quite a long way. It exceeded my expectations by a long way, they really nailed the action and made the grinding, builds, loot grabbing all fantastic fun to do. They were also really sensible with their design decisions, adding flexibility and convenience without fucking up the overall experience. It was exactly what I wanted, the Diablo 2 feel with updated aesthetics and modernised design without any "twists" to screw it up.

XCom is on my list to pick up but I haven't yet so I can't comment there. Terror from the Deep was the one I played the most in the past and that was great so I might end up loving it. The streamlining of equipment is offputting but there's no denying that the YouTube videos of missions and multiplayer make the combat look like a whole load of fun.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

12. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 17:24 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 16:51:
And someone mentioned xcom for moddability. I was under the impression that xcom was more or less not mod friendly, at least officially.

Yeah, I'm totally loving XCom, but haven't played enough of the other games released this year to judge whether or not it's the "Game of the Year"

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 16:51 Flatline

PropheT wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 13:28:
Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are better than anything else on that list. Dishonored's clunky play and bad storytelling isn't even good, much less a GotY contender, and I still can't decide if I like Guild Wars 2 or outright hate it...partly because I haven't had any interest in playing it for months to solidify an opinion on it.

This year has really sucked for games, though. Last fall was packed, the year before was packed, and this year the only game I was even looking forward to was a Vita port from years ago. At least next year is looking good, since everything was pushed back until then anyway.

I haven't played Far Cry 3, and it's safe to assume Time didn't write this article at a point in time where they could play it (which is why naming GOTY before... like... the end of the year is stupid), but Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO that has managed to keep me interested for longer than 60 days.

That's pretty significant.

And I played the f*ck out of BL2, but it only brought a small amount of polish to the table over BL1, and is not GOTY quality for me.

And someone mentioned xcom for moddability. I was under the impression that xcom was more or less not mod friendly, at least officially.

10. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 16:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Time is still around? How many subs do they have anyway, 30k? 60k?  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 15:15 Mordecai Walfish

I wanted GW2 to be my GoTY, but after release and finally playing it I realized that the merry-go-round method of MMO gameplay just gets incredibly boring to me very, very quickly.

I had more fun with Faster Than Light, honestly =)

8. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 14:30 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:17:
FPS Russia: The Game Kickstarter. Not an FPS. Go fig. Thanks Josh…

Crappy flash game? Free to play.

You know, I know I've seen this game somewhere before...

Oh, Yeah.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 14:17 xXBatmanXx

FPS Russia: The Game Kickstarter. Not an FPS. Go fig. Thanks Josh…

Crappy flash game? Free to play.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 13:52 gilly775

GW2? No thanks; game was shallow for me. My personal favs were XCom, BL2, FC3, and Torchlight 2. TL2 and XCom also get high marks for modding.  

5. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 13:28 PropheT

Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are better than anything else on that list. Dishonored's clunky play and bad storytelling isn't even good, much less a GotY contender, and I still can't decide if I like Guild Wars 2 or outright hate it...partly because I haven't had any interest in playing it for months to solidify an opinion on it.

This year has really sucked for games, though. Last fall was packed, the year before was packed, and this year the only game I was even looking forward to was a Vita port from years ago. At least next year is looking good, since everything was pushed back until then anyway.

4. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 12:54 Fion

GW2 is certainly my GotY, and it was a pretty big crowd of amazing games this year. Pretty much all of them were on this list heh.  

3. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 12:46 Verno

Well it's Time.com and the game has pretty fair mass market appeal, a good business model and something for everyone. We had many disappointments in big releases this year but GW2 stood up pretty up well, especially if you consider its just $60.

If it was up to me we'd all still be playing pre-Trammel Ultima Online

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

2. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 12:19 jacobvandy

Well maybe if they were awarding best game of 2001, your dinosaur MMO would be in contention.  

1. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 12:10 LaxerFL

Guild Wars 2? Best game of 2012? Really? I mean, it's not a BAD game but it certainly isn't the best of the year. Let me put it this way... I bought GW2 and one week after it came out, I was back playing Dark Age of Camelot, an 11 year old game. That should say a lot about GW2. I still play from time to time. It is nice to pay a one time amount for the game and not have a monthly subscription I will say!  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo