Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The Bethesda Blog notes that yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the release of QUAKE II, which may be accurate for some territories, but I think the North American release date for the game was actually December 9th, in fact we still have a banner from id announcing the release date in our archive. It's easy to be confused, as "when it's done" has been the second week in December for a couple of id's big releases, so this it's like an anniversary week for them. Anyway, happy birthday Quake II.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Snail Bob 3.
Links: Staggering Beauty.
Stories: Burglar calls 911 to save himself from homeowner. Thanks Cutter.
Media: Coolest guy at the boat ramp.
Why Parenting Children Is Impossible.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: MS Windows 8 Dec 9, 2012, 02:28 Ant

Quboid wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 11:51:
Dev wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 06:58:
Quboid wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:55:
How good is Windows 8? I'm building a PC for my mum and I'll need to buy an OS; she's used to Windows and won't fancy switching.

Specifically, how good is Windows 8 without Metro.

I know Metro is appalling for keyboard/mouse users and I would be disabling that. However, Metro's received so much attention that I've no idea if the rest of the OS is any good. Is Windows 8 - Metro better than Windows 7?
Remember that you won't be able to disable metro at boot without a 3rd party tool, MS disabled all the registry ways to disable metro on boot when they did the final release version. Also, you will still be missing a start menu, again a 3rd party tool will take care of that.

Without a 3rd party tool you will have to enter desktop mode on every bootup and be without a start menu. MS really really wanted to force people into metro.

You can still get win 8 for $15 (details are on slickdeals). So fortunately its cheap enough you can still pay for the 3rd party tool without too much issue.

Alternatively one can generally downgrade as well. Not sure how the details of that are handled.

Hmm, I thought it was just the registry tweak.

This isn't a problem but if something goes wrong on my mother's computer and Metro gets re-enabled, I'd like to be able to talk her through fixing it. Bah.
Just go to Windows 7. Metro sucks unless she has a tablet or something with a touch screen for it. It makes no sense with a keyboard and mouse.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: MS Windows 8 Dec 8, 2012, 11:51 Quboid

Dev wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 06:58:
How good is Windows 8? I'm building a PC for my mum and I'll need to buy an OS; she's used to Windows and won't fancy switching.

I know Metro is appalling for keyboard/mouse users and I would be disabling that. However, Metro's received so much attention that I've no idea if the rest of the OS is any good. Is Windows 8 - Metro better than Windows 7?
Remember that you won't be able to disable metro at boot without a 3rd party tool, MS disabled all the registry ways to disable metro on boot when they did the final release version. Also, you will still be missing a start menu, again a 3rd party tool will take care of that.

Without a 3rd party tool you will have to enter desktop mode on every bootup and be without a start menu. MS really really wanted to force people into metro.

You can still get win 8 for $15 (details are on slickdeals). So fortunately its cheap enough you can still pay for the 3rd party tool without too much issue.

Alternatively one can generally downgrade as well. Not sure how the details of that are handled.

Hmm, I thought it was just the registry tweak.

This isn't a problem but if something goes wrong on my mother's computer and Metro gets re-enabled, I'd like to be able to talk her through fixing it. Bah.

- Quboid

32. Re: MS Windows 8 Dec 8, 2012, 06:58 Dev

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2012, 07:04.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2012, 04:55 Cutter

Dev wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:10:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:39:
Miner Wars 2081 80% off today at GMG

Don't forget:
GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6

25% off code works on it making it $3.75 !!!

Edit:
http://www.minerwars.com/SteamKeys.aspx
Apparently its one of those games where they have a separate login thing you have to create. Anyway once you do, you can get the actual steam key there, after entering in the key from GMG.

Just picked up Batman Arkham Asylum for $3.74 with that code.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 19:04 Orphic Resonance

1badmf wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 17:20:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 16:58:
yeh i remember picking that shit up on day one at Electronics Boutique

and how the open GL driver didnt support my nvidia Riva 128 because nobody gave a shit about anything except voodoo cards

ooh a fellow riva128 alum. i know there was either an opengl driver or directx adapter for it because i played q2 extensively on it. i remember it being 10 fps faster than the voodoo cards at the time too. it didn't look quite as good, but that 10 fps was a big deal when going from 30 to 40.

yeh it came out about a month or so after the game IIRC...

i remember getting <100ms ping on 56k with that game.. the netcode was more solid than anything else by far at the time.. then tribes came along, also did not support anything other than voodoo, which was bullshit because i loved that game and the software renderer looked like ASS

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 17:45 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 15:12:

Message sent /w his name, enjoy hawaii!

I'll check it out. Army

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 17:40 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 17:20:
i remember it being 10 fps faster than the voodoo cards at the time too. it didn't look quite as good, but that 10 fps was a big deal when going from 30 to 40.

Didn't that ruin the experience for you? Since it looked like digital video instead of film.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 17:20 1badmf

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 16:58:

and how the open GL driver didnt support my nvidia Riva 128 because nobody gave a shit about anything except voodoo cards

ooh a fellow riva128 alum. i know there was either an opengl driver or directx adapter for it because i played q2 extensively on it. i remember it being 10 fps faster than the voodoo cards at the time too. it didn't look quite as good, but that 10 fps was a big deal when going from 30 to 40.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 16:58 Orphic Resonance

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 16:51 Smellfinger

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:21:
Q2 was ok, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the original.
They totally screwed up the rocket launcher in Q2 and the sound was much weaker overall.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 15:47 LaxerFL

Verno wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 13:18:
LaxerFL wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 12:12:
For fuck's sake, put a god damn warning after that Staggering Beauty link. WTF man? Some of us are at work and blaring sound and bright flashing lights aren't exactly work safe...

There are nicer ways to ask for these things but I agree, that should be tagged for sound or throw under Media.

Sorry about the attitude in that post. My heart was still racing and I was getting some seriously shitty looks from coworkers I can barely stand as it is.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 15:12 dj LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:23:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:11:
Definitely havent forgotten in my family, My great uncle is still entombed in the USS Arizona, RIP

I'll probably go out there in a couple of weeks, since I have a vacation coming up (I go every couple of years). What's his name? I'll look it up on the wall.

Message sent /w his name, enjoy hawaii!

22. Re: MS Windows 8 Dec 7, 2012, 15:08 Verno

It is Windows 7 without Aero in pretty much every other respect, you will notice no difference once disabling Metro. File copy dialogs are changed, storage spaces sucks so dont use it, task manager has changed. There are other minor changes but that's really about all you'll notice in day to day usage. If you use another monitor then you'll get another taskbar. I recommend StartisBack, it costs like $3 but has more features than Classic Shell and uses the old native Win7 code.

I suggest setting Task Manager back to always on top once you first boot up.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

21. MS Windows 8 Dec 7, 2012, 14:55 Quboid

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 14:25 jdreyer

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:21:
Q2 was ok, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the original.

I loved playing Q2 in coop. So much fun. And so much improvement over Q1, even if there wasn't a zero G level.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 14:23 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 14:11:
Definitely havent forgotten in my family, My great uncle is still entombed in the USS Arizona, RIP

I'll probably go out there in a couple of weeks, since I have a vacation coming up (I go every couple of years). What's his name? I'll look it up on the wall.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 14:11 Dev

mispost  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 14:11 dj LiTh

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 14:10 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 11:39:
Miner Wars 2081 80% off today at GMG

Don't forget:
GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6

25% off code works on it making it $3.75 !!!

Edit:
http://www.minerwars.com/SteamKeys.aspx
Apparently its one of those games where they have a separate login thing you have to create. Anyway once you do, you can get the actual steam key there, after entering in the key from GMG.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 14:16.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 13:40 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 13:18:
LaxerFL wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 12:12:
For fuck's sake, put a god damn warning after that Staggering Beauty link. WTF man? Some of us are at work and blaring sound and bright flashing lights aren't exactly work safe...

There are nicer ways to ask for these things but I agree, that should be tagged for sound or throw under Media.

It always makes me laugh when people at work complain because a link will blow their cover. I always picture the most awkward of circumstances.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo