Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

November NPD Results

The November report on U.S. game sales from NPD Group is out. The report and some analysis can be found VentureBeat, including a warning that this does not include the fast-growing non-physical side of the market, and another saying that at this stage in the console cycle, the most appropriate month to compare with is November 2005, showing the market has grown almost 100% in that time. As you might surmise, those warnings accompany some disappointing results:

Game hardware sales were $838.9 million, down 13 percent from $962.2 million a year ago.
Game software sales were $1.43 billion, down 11 percent from $1.60 billion a year ago.
Game accessory sales were $280.9 million, down 8 percent from $305.3 million a year ago.
If you count PC games, total software sales were $1.46 billion, down 11 percent from $1.65 billion a year ago.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 11:39 Verno

Pickup groups in MMOs are always awful, it's practically a tradition It gets to the point where if you find a decent one you friend everyone who was there and tell others that you managed to find a group of people who don't watch X-Factor while they play.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 11:03 sauron

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 00:24:
GW's 2 has been down for a couple hours now. Not a single dev post... NCSoft just shut'm down. And you said not to worry.

Back up now. I just got my first piece of Ascended gear.

Not sure I can grind Fractals of the Mists for another piece though. My guild are all playing LOTRO and some of the pickup groups I've been in have been really bad. Pretty sure some of the players were actually chimps from the Bronx Zoo who somehow sneaked a copy of the game into their enclosure.

Kittens!

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:17:
If NPD has no estimate even for online, I'm amazed PC sales has only dropped so little YoY. You would think there would have been a sharper drop off if it's just retail.

A lot of people still buy Blizzard games at retail. Between Diablo 3 and Pandaria, I bet those alone kept the retail PC numbers high this year.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 10:17 HorrorScope

If NPD has no estimate even for online, I'm amazed PC sales has only dropped so little YoY. You would think there would have been a sharper drop off if it's just retail.  

14. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 09:35 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 09:21:
My non-medicated (PA got me there ) comment was about the claims of NPD's irrelevance. I strongly disagree with such claims in light of revenues that are in excess of US$2 bn. Just because they don't cover the (without a doubt important and growing) digital market does not make them irrelevant. NPD data is certainly interesting and relevant to those who understand it and those who know how to put it to use.

There is a world beyond the horizon of some kiddies who are online a lot and think that retail is irrelevant when clearly it is not.

Here's the thing though. You're right in that using irrelevant as a general term for NPD might be a bit strong. There is a two pronged failure taking place here, both on NPD's part and the gaming press. NPD's failing is that they're still pitching this monthly report as a good general barometer for the health of the games industry as a whole and it's not any more. It was at one point when the only way to buy games was in a box from a store but that's not the case any more. This report covers one segment but that underplay that and keep acting as if the industry as a whole is represented here. They do that for one reason: Analysts have to pay a lot of money for their report and they want to keep that subscription money rolling in. But the report is simply not nearly as useful as it once was.

And of course, the bigger failing is on the gaming press themselves which routinely doesn't point out the gaping flaws in NPD's current methodology and uses their report as an easy way to generate clicks through controversy. When people in forums and guys who run blogs no one reads are the ones who have to point out that it doesn't include all retailers, countries outside the US or any digital services, there's a massive problem somewhere. They also don't provide any context, like say for example how hardware sales are down because we're at the end of a 7 year old generation or how most luxury industries are down as a whole right now because there's still a massive worldwide recession going on.

Both of these groups contribute to the misinformation permeating the gaming community that the industry as a whole is represented by this report because it's not. AAA games are hurting big time right now, that can't really be denied but the games industry is doing much better than NPD reports. It may not be totally irrelevant but as a barometer of industry health as a whole, it's not all that useful any more. But as has been the case for years, the enthusiast press is pretty useless.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

13. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 09:21 CJ_Parker

My non-medicated (PA got me there ) comment was about the claims of NPD's irrelevance. I strongly disagree with such claims in light of revenues that are in excess of US$2 bn. Just because they don't cover the (without a doubt important and growing) digital market does not make them irrelevant. NPD data is certainly interesting and relevant to those who understand it and those who know how to put it to use.

There is a world beyond the horizon of some kiddies who are online a lot and think that retail is irrelevant when clearly it is not.

12. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 09:08 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 05:49:
But could you kindly shut the fuck up, kids, while us adults realize that revenue in excess of 2+ billion is relevant enough to be covered by the NPD Group (or any other research facility for that matter).
My, thank you very much, kids, and now back to your Count0r Strii!!ke r0XX0r gaming on Steam but try to be quiet, kthx? Cool.

Steam had an estimated billion dollar valuation by a third party alone, so yeah it is relevant and a big deal but Gabe isn't sharing. It's not even a question of whether PC gaming is lucrative or not, if it wasn't every publisher wouldn't be tripping over themselves to setup their own DD shit and go direct to customers.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

11. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 05:49:
Aaah here go the little kiddies again... "but... but... but... I uuuuse Steeeeaaam and I am reeeealllly revellant and all that".

Cute.

No, really. Cute.

But could you kindly shut the fuck up, kids, while us adults realize that revenue in excess of 2+ billion is relevant enough to be covered by the NPD Group (or any other research facility for that matter).
My, thank you very much, kids, and now back to your Count0r Strii!!ke r0XX0r gaming on Steam but try to be quiet, kthx? Cool.

CJ, did you forget to take your meds again? The doctors told you what happens...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:52 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:36:
If you have to preface your data by saying it doesn't include a shred of information on the fastest-growing segment of the market by a massively huge margin every time you release it isn't that kind of admitting it isn't worth a damn?

... NPD's inevitable irrelevance.

I like your page Parallax Ab. - I especially like how you give it to Apple whenever you can!

Well, no one in the press is going to do it so I figure I might as well for the half dozen people who read my blog.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 theyarecomingforyou

Mangrove wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 06:53:
I called someone l33t in a game the other day and no one knew what it meant :/
Well, I hope you gave them a history lesson on what was cool in 1997!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 06:53 Mangrove

I called someone l33t in a game the other day and no one knew what it meant :/  

7. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 05:49 CJ_Parker

Aaah here go the little kiddies again... "but... but... but... I uuuuse Steeeeaaam and I am reeeealllly revellant and all that".

Cute.

No, really. Cute.

6. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 03:21 aesir05

I can see NPD going all red that no one tells them about digital sales

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 00:24 HorrorScope

GW's 2 has been down for a couple hours now. Not a single dev post... NCSoft just shut'm down. And you said not to worry.  

4. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 23:56 Cutter

Eveyrone should be sticking it to Apple whenever possible!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 22:36 Prez

If you have to preface your data by saying it doesn't include a shred of information on the fastest-growing segment of the market by a massively huge margin every time you release it isn't that kind of admitting it isn't worth a damn?

... NPD's inevitable irrelevance.

I like your page Parallax Ab. - I especially like how you give it to Apple whenever you can!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 22:21 nin

Seriously. How long do they ignore the 800 pound gorilla?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

Another month, another step towards NPD's inevitable irrelevance.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo