Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Humble THQ Bundle Grows

Humble Mumble has word that the Humble THQ Bundle is expanding:

We just added more stuff to the Humble THQ Bundle! Feast your eyes on the action RPG Titan Quest and Path to War, the awesome mission pack for Red Faction: Armageddon!

If you haven’t picked up your Humble THQ Bundle yet, just set your price higher than the average to get Titan Quest and the Path to War mission pack. You’ll also get the original seven games, which includes: Saints Row: The Third, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, Red Faction: Armageddon, and Metro 2033!

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 15:33 Crustacean Soup

I didn't have Tales of Valor, and I had retail versions of the other CoHs. I've dreaded reinstalling them because the last time I did the patch process took at least a good hour of me clicking OK to a ton of incremental patches, so getting them on Steam is totally worth it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 13:43 dj LiTh

Already had TQ and COH but didnt have the rest, i snatched it up, gave 100% to THQ  

21. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 10:09 Dev

I'm thinking I might get a couple extra bundles for gifts.

Make sure you have the appropriate games on your wishlist

20. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 04:44 killer_roach

Not to mention the untold millions they pissed away on licensed IPs that they mostly just cranked out shovelware with.  

19. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 02:11 DangerDog

THQ screwed up big time over that uDraw Wii/xbox360/ps3 drawing tablet, they'll never be able to recover from that loss.

Speaking during an investor Q&A earlier today, CFO Paul Pucino revealed that the publisher has around 1.4 million unsold units collecting dust in its inventory.

and then there is the lawsuit

THQ faces a class-action lawsuit after allegedly misleading its shareholders regarding its failed uDraw peripheral.

The publisher has been accused of violating the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 by distributing "materially false and misleading statements," according to a report by GamesIndustry International. The complaint was filed in the US District Court for the Central District of California by shareholder rights firm Robbins Umeda LLP on behalf of THQ's shareholders.

18. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 02:10 finga

Axis wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 00:07:
They absolutely would have been saved, I'm sure of it. They were too late as I mentioned, new games were meh at best, stigma attached.
The games you're talking about, like the Dawn of War games were out and done a while before they ever really got into that much trouble. Also, you're talking from a purely PC-oriented perspective when a majority of THQ's business was on consoles, and they made many mistakes there that you're completely ignoring.

Supreme Commander wasn't GFWL and the community for that was sunk by poor sales and poor post-release support from THQ, who refused to even run QA on the final patch that Gas Powered Games actually made, so that patch had to get leaked as an unofficial one. (The game's back up and running on a free lobby called FAForever.) The Red Faction games' multiplayer was based on client hosting, and a full dedicated server model would have taken more time and money to make, since GFWL actually handles a lot of the multiplayer code and connectivity. They'd have to have rolled their own. Plus, I don't know if you played Armageddon, but it compromised a lot of the things that made Red Faction fun. No amount of Steamworks fixes Badgame Syndrome.

Still, again, you're talking ONLY about their PC business, not their mobile business or console business. Mistakes there did just as much, if not more, to sink them. UFC, WWE, de Blob, MX vs ATV, UDraw, all of these licenses had rather expensive repeated boondoggles that cost THQ a lot more money than they made back, and the sales potential was larger on these than they ever would have gotten by nearly any small change to their PC library.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 02:17.

17. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 01:53 Jerykk

Adding multiplayer doesn't guarantee your game is going to have a long shelf life. See Spec Ops, Darkness 2, Bioshock 2 or any of the myriad of games that have had MP tacked on for the sake of MP. Conversely, you can look at the success of games like Arkham City, Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc, as proof that SP-only games can be successful.

THQ is dying because their profits aren't compensating for their budgets. Such is the risk of AAA development. Big game budgets and even bigger marketing budgets are hard to recoup and none of THQ's games (barring maybe Saints Row 3) have been able to do so. Unlike Activision, EA, 2K, etc, THQ doesn't have any blockbuster titles to help carry the company. Their games sell decently but even selling a million units isn't enough to cover costs these days.

16. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 00:24 OpticNerve

I hope THQ somehow keeps afloat since they publish games from some of my favorite developers.  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

15. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 00:20 The Half Elf

They just had some really bad releases lately.
Homefront wasn't bad, but was hyped up as a Red Dawn sequel, Red Faction should have kept the premise of Guerrilla, instead of the last game. Darksiders 2 was apparently a much different departure from the 1st game in the series. Saints Row 3 really could have benefited from some sort of sandbox multiplayer, because it's self life was short once ya beat the game and the crappy DLC.

I'd love for them to survive, but it's not looking good.

For some reason it reminds me of players starships in The Old Republic. Each has a escape pod that you can't use, but you know it's there because SOMETHING bad is gonna happen and your going to need it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 00:07 Axis

finga wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 23:55:
Axis wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 23:51:
GFWL was the real death sentence. Not exactly something you can put a finger on, but my finger sure feels it.

They went full Steamworks on a few games that had online play. Space Marine, Saints Row 2 & 3, and Homefront come to mind... still didn't really help them make anything into the super-blockbuster they needed to stay alive. Their games and marketing needed to be better, and while I hate GFWL as much as the next guy, avoiding those libraries wouldn't have saved the company.

They absolutely would have been saved, I'm sure of it. They were too late as I mentioned, new games were meh at best, stigma attached.

The best games they had to build a community on would have been easily Warhammer - I mean that brick and mortar community is rabid they wouldda jumped all in. Red Faction would easily would have competed with any 'average' active community for FPS's. Hell Supreme commander came out at a perfect time to suck in all the starcraft junkies. Metro? maybe, game was different. Doesnt matter GFWL killed it, anyone getting the bundle won't be playing it multi anytime soon.

I could go on THQ had some killer IP's in their pocket, some great innovation in their games, but the worst back seat driver they could ever have expected. GFWL drove them in to the lake, and all by their own free will.

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 00:06 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:50:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:43:
I already bought this, so I hope they'll be added. I already redeemed my Steam key, so I hope I get another for these.

if you donated more than the current average - around $5.60 then just click that link you got in your email for the first games. You'll see the extra games there to redeem the steam keys for.

Thanks for that DD! Not that I need Tit Quest, but the RFA DLC is handy as I'm playing it atm.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 23:56 zombiefan

Yes, please buy our games one last time as we try for every quick cash grab before we fold! PLEEEEEEASE.....!

Roll over and die, THQ.

11. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 23:55 finga

Axis wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 23:51:
GFWL was the real death sentence. Not exactly something you can put a finger on, but my finger sure feels it.

They went full Steamworks on a few games that had online play. Space Marine, Saints Row 2 & 3, and Homefront come to mind... still didn't really help them make anything into the super-blockbuster they needed to stay alive. Their games and marketing needed to be better, and while I hate GFWL as much as the next guy, avoiding those libraries wouldn't have saved the company.

10. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 23:51 Axis

I feel for them. It's their hail mary but unfortunately they're just too deep in default to pull out.

They made some bad decisions, but their worst was teaming up with Microsoft to use their incredibly shit GFWL.

No active multi in multi-heavy genres? Your game gets forgotten almost immediately. Biggest case in point is Red Faction series, with the best world destruction far before it's time, great inventive multiplayer modes, easy to mod, all the things communities are built with - no one gave a shit cause it was GFWL hurdles left and right, big pain in the ass.

And look at the DoW series, really incredible stuff, no shits given. DOWII was just too late on that trigger to put GFWL down.

Yours truly,

Axis

9. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 23:23 jacobvandy

I like to give the Humble tip, too, but yeah, I've been cutting out the charity on the last several bundles I've bought. I guess I feel bad about getting so many games for dirt cheap more than I feel charitable.  

8. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 22:55 A51Abductee

DangerDog wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:50:
I already bought this, so I hope they'll be added. I already redeemed my Steam key, so I hope I get another for these.

if you donated more than the current average - around $5.60 then just click that link you got in your email for the first games. You'll see the extra games there to redeem the steam keys for.

Thanks for the tip. Worked exactly as you described.

7. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 22:50 DangerDog

6. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 22:08 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:07:
The amount of revenue generated from the humble is already more than half their market cap value, and that by itself is both amazing and distressing.

Their market cap is $8.43M, this bundle has raised $3.8M.

Hopefully this keeps them going a bit but given how many whiny indie people have been up in arms about this, I bet a lot of the money went to only the charities (also not a bad thing mind).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

5. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 21:52 Prez

I bought it and donated 100% of the money to THQ. As far as am concerned, they ARE the charity, and I don't want to see the make of some of my favorite games die.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 21:44 nin

The amount of revenue generated from the humble is already more than half their market cap value, and that by itself is both amazing and distressing.

The problem is we don't know how much of that is going to charity. Not that I'm advocating saving a company over charity.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo