Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games

SEGA and Creative Assembly announce a partnership to create games set in Games Workshop's fantasy-themed Warhammer universe. Embattled THQ has developed several Warhammer and Warhammer 40K games over the years (and is still working on Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium, theoretically at least), and there's no indication how this deal relates to THQ. Here's word, which says we should expect CA's first Warhammer game until 2014 at least:

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary” A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary,” said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

“We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop's Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”

This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War: Rome II™ and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.

For future updates and career opportunities please visit www.creative-assembly.com.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 23:55 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 20:00:
Short of borrowing the actual races (elves, orcs, etc) like everyone else and their grandmother did, I don't see a whole lot of Tolkien influence to be honest.

There's the high elf/wood elf split, and the high elves in tragic decline. Elves being good archers. There's the way you have regular orcs and bigger, tougher, black orcs (Uruk-Hai). Orcs riding goddamned wolves. There's virtually every single thing about WHFB dwarves, excepting the fact that WHFB dwarves are also engineers. And everything about WHFB halflings. The Tolkien fantasy races haven't really diverged much from the bog standard tropes. Except I'm given to understand that WHFB is responsible for orcs being green.

I do think if they had dumped elves, dwarves and orcs (and halflings, I guess) from the lore at the start they'd have a much stronger and less Dungeons and Dragony setting, but they're well and stuck in there now. Everything else is reasonably full of unique character, but I just don't see it for the stock Tolkien fantasy elements.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:34 |RaptoR|

PropheT wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 20:19:
|RaptoR| wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:03:
This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

It has elves and dwarves, but it's one of the most unique and fleshed out iterations of that sort that's out there. There's a lot of history and lore there in an actual dark fantasy world that doesn't just sit back on the cliches you see elsewhere. 40k is just a sci-fi take on the same formula, the same races, the same gods, and everything else from Fantasy anyway. The things that make 40k unique were already in Fantasy and just adapted to the sci-fi setting.

I don't disagree, my only comment there is that the traditional fantasy genre has grown tired to me and many others. Each has their own unique take on it (for the most part), but it still is the same core idea.

32. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:22 PHJF

The games mechanic was repetitive, I'll concede that much. But having a worse narrative than DMC, Heavenly Sword

I couldn't care less about the narrative (and Devil May Cry is infamous for its hilariously bad stories and characters), I'm talking about combat/control/enemies/environments/etc. The whole game was half cooked. As somebody who owns pretty much every game in the genre on his PS3 (shit I even bought Enslaved) I'm totally confident in placing Space Marine firmly at the bottom of the barrel.

If every reference to 40K were stricken from the game nobody would give it a second thought, is my point. It would have ended up in the bargain bin even faster than it already did. Once the novelty of playing as a Space Marine wore off the game showed nothing but blandness and rough edges.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:19 PropheT

|RaptoR| wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:03:
This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

It has elves and dwarves, but it's one of the most unique and fleshed out iterations of that sort that's out there. There's a lot of history and lore there in an actual dark fantasy world that doesn't just sit back on the cliches you see elsewhere. 40k is just a sci-fi take on the same formula, the same races, the same gods, and everything else from Fantasy anyway. The things that make 40k unique were already in Fantasy and just adapted to the sci-fi setting.

30. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:00 Prez

As far as I've ever been able to determine this is just message board urban legend.

Well, the zerg do have an uncanny resemblance to the Tyranids.

As a setting Warhammer FB was a lock-stock-and-barrel mashup of Tolkien and Moorcock.

Short of borrowing the actual races (elves, orcs, etc) like everyone else and their grandmother did, I don't see a whole lot of Tolkien influence to be honest. But yea, the Moorcock stuff was obviously an influence based what little I know about it (never really paid much attention to Moorcock's stuff). I was talking about what the Warhammer universe did with within the bog standard tropes that have really all been liberally borrowed throughout the years.

Then you haven't played a good console action game (there are a shitload of these btw) because Space Marine was terrible.

Nope. Maybe not your thing, but not terrible. It was pretty awesome really (and I have played Darksiders, Batman Arkham City and Devil May Cry among others). Could more have been done with the property? Oh yeah, but that's what sequels are for. Sadly the likelihood of ever seeing a bigger, deeper sequel is almost nil.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 20:15.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 19:26 |RaptoR|

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 17:44:
The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

Then you haven't played a good console action game (there are a shitload of these btw) because Space Marine was terrible.

Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, Dragon's Dogma, Arkham City... off the top of my head. Space Marine is shit next to any one of these. All the fuckload of lore, enemy races, and weapons of 40K and somehow none of it ends up in Space Marine except three ork units, a handful of chaos, and jumpjets.

I am kind of a WH40k fanboy. I don't judge, but it sounds like you didn't finish Space Marine.

From a lore and story standpoint, it was rich and accurate. The Ultramarines chapter is fanatically strict. Playing through the game felt wrong in that context, because events in the narrative. The ending shows that Relic and the writers intended this, and that it was a well executed major plot point.

In WH40K novelizations, Space Marines are always put into impossible situations and that's the glory of it. Legion of the Damned, for example. The game really did a good job faithfully recreating a massive war and planetary assault. It also conveyed the hopelessness of the WH40K universe very well.

Space Marines are considered demigods, angels, etc... and I felt that plowing through thousands of orks really drove that home.

The games mechanic was repetitive, I'll concede that much. But having a worse narrative than DMC, Heavenly Sword? That's insanity. It's far more rich than either of those.

At the end of the day, I bought the game on both the Xbox and the PC. And I thoroughly enjoyed both. I got my moneys worth, and would love a sequel or continuation.

If they'd make a Space Hulk game in similar fashion, I could die a happy man

edit: I missed your point about not leveraging the wide range of units and weapons available to them. I agree, you're right. My fault

28. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 17:44 PHJF

The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, Dragon's Dogma, Arkham City... off the top of my head. Space Marine is shit next to any one of these. All the fuckload of lore, enemy races, and weapons of 40K and somehow none of it ends up in Space Marine except three ork units, a handful of chaos, and jumpjets.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:40 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:37:
40k was the inspiration for Starcraft (originally it was supposed to be a 40k RTS, but they couldn't get the license because Games Workshop is one of biggest pricks in the world of intellectual property)

As far as I've ever been able to determine this is just message board urban legend.

26. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:39 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:16:
What is I find a bit ironic is that Warhammer rarely gets credit for having been unique long before other more popular properties ***cough Warcraft** cough** Starcraft**cough** copied them pretty closely, and instead is blamed for being generic. It's a bit like saying "Alone in the Dark" is just generic survival horror.

As a setting Warhammer FB was a lock-stock-and-barrel mashup of Tolkien and Moorcock. Everything about Chaos except the actual 4 gods is lifted straight, from when they had the Elric license (which for all I know they still do). The eight-pointed star of Chaos, the Chaos barbarians out of the north, the concept of Chaos and Chaos demons and Chaos gods, is all directly out of Moorcock's books. The Melniboneans miniatures for the Elric setting were relabeled and sold as Wood Elf Wardancers and stayed that way for about a decade.

Plus D&D predated WHFB by 6 years, and it's hard to say that there's no influence from that direction, either.

25. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:37 Flatline

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:16:

I love both about equally, though depending on what games are out I'll waffle back and forth between them when considering which is my favored one. Granted the fantasy lore is more tied to standard genre tropes than the futuristic universe (which is insanely original) but it still has enough unique themes, nuance, and character to stand out among the pack.

What is I find a bit ironic is that Warhammer rarely gets credit for having been unique long before other more popular properties ***cough Warcraft** cough** Starcraft**cough** copied them pretty closely, and instead is blamed for being generic. It's a bit like saying "Alone in the Dark" is just generic survival horror.

True... 40k was the inspiration for Starcraft (originally it was supposed to be a 40k RTS, but they couldn't get the license because Games Workshop is one of biggest pricks in the world of intellectual property), and Warcraft was an homage to Warhammer Fantasy. Warhammer is the original.

Still, 40k, or as it's been called here and there, GrimDark, at one point didn't take itself nearly as seriously as it does now. The days of Rogue Trader were far more... ecclectic. The biggest remainders of those days that remains is the soccer hooligan Orks, who were too popular to really make "serious'd".

24. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:16 Prez

I love both about equally, though depending on what games are out I'll waffle back and forth between them when considering which is my favored one. Granted the fantasy lore is more tied to standard genre tropes than the futuristic universe (which is insanely original) but it still has enough unique themes, nuance, and character to stand out among the pack.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 15:36:
I must be weird but I loved Space Marine. The action was visceral and intense, and combat was satisfyingly brutal and meaty, and the jumpack sections never got old.
This. The graphics were poor and there were issues with the PC port but it was actually a really enjoyable game - surprisingly so. The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

I highly recommend people check it out if it goes on sale.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:05 |RaptoR|

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 15:36:
I must be weird but I loved Space Marine. The action was visceral and intense, and combat was satisfyingly brutal and meaty, and the jumpack sections never got old.

Space Marine is still one of my favorite games. It did a good job capturing the mass chaos of battle depicted in the 40k fiction

It was repetitive, but that's a good thing, because it was fun. And the multiplayer was (and still is) a blast. The satisfaction of smashing someone with the hammer never gets old

21. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:03 |RaptoR|

ViRGE wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 13:37:
PropheT wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 12:40:
PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:06:
Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.

I like Warhammer fantasy, 40k bores the shit out of me.
Funny. I like 40K, while Fantasy bores the shit out of me.

20. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 15:36 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 15:29 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:06:
Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.

Space Marine's biggest failing was that it was repetitive. What you did in the first 10 minutes you'd do through the rest of the game.

Art was pretty and it was fairly carnage-filled, and I liked the risk/reward system of having to charge in to battle in order to "heal".

It just needed a *lot* more variety to make it a good game.

18. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 15:23 Orogogus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:54:
Don't get me wrong, I agree. My point was just that THQ already has a relationship with Games Workshop and I would have thought they'd try to capitalise on that by extending into Warhammer. I think their money troubles are the biggest reason as to why they couldn't.

I just don't see much benefit for them in capitalizing on that relationship. I haven't gone in a games store in a decade so I don't really know for sure, but my feeling is that the previous posters are indicative of the market in that 40K is more popular than WHFB. Since Relic/THQ presumably don't have any particular hook to make a great WHFB game, it would have just been another money pit. I don't see any more synergy between the IPs than between, say, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

17. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 15:21 dj LiTh

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:20:
Could be cool. Better not siphon any of the talent off Rome 2 though!

This!

16. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

Orogogus wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:43:
I don't agree. Total War really does seem like the closest fit for the tabletop game. Fantasy and 40K have some similarities, but Fantasy has always been more about blocks of units and formations while 40K has always been more about individual unit profiles, which seems more friendly to the traditional click-and-attack RTS. WHFB doesn't seem to play to Relic's strength's at all.
Don't get me wrong, I agree. My point was just that THQ already has a relationship with Games Workshop and I would have thought they'd try to capitalise on that by extending into Warhammer. I think their money troubles are the biggest reason as to why they couldn't.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 14:43 Orogogus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:28:
I know that the licences are separate but I can't help feeling that this is another sign that THQ is really struggling, as I would have thought they'd be the first to try to get such a licence.
I don't agree. Total War really does seem like the closest fit for the tabletop game. Fantasy and 40K have some similarities, but Fantasy has always been more about blocks of units and formations while 40K has always been more about individual unit profiles, which seems more friendly to the traditional click-and-attack RTS. WHFB doesn't seem to play to Relic's strength's at all.

If THQ had ever wanted the license, they could presumably have just gone out and gotten it, either before or after the mediocre Mark of Chaos. The fact that they didn't then or now doesn't really say anything to me other than they just didn't want to do a WHFB or an orc-and-elf game, any more than they didn't get a license for Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Wheel of Time, or whatever.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo