Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was bold with my football picks last week, and paid the price (and for the record, Creston was actually 10-6 for his previous week's picks). The outcomes were Jivaro 12-4, Verno, Creston and Cutter 11-5, Rigs 10-5, Blue 9-7, and an even bolder Batman at 6-10.

This week I'm going with Broncos, Redskins, Bengals, Rams, Buccaneers, Falcons, Chiefs, Steelers, Colts, Jaguars, Vikings, 49ers, Seahawks, Giants, Packers, and Patriots.

Bold Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rawr.
Effing Worms Xmas.
Links: 19 People Who Are Having A Way Worse Day Than You.
Stories: "TRON 3" Script News.
Media: Star Trek: Into Darkness Announcement Video. Thanks nin.
Police Motorcyclist Forgets About Speed Bump.
NASA Releases Stunning Animation of Earth at Night. Thanks Cutter.
Follow-up: McAfee Could be Deported to Belize.
Predator Returns.
"Skyfall" Becomes Biggest UK Film Ever.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2012, 03:20 Rigs

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 15:51:
I agree that it's nice that they continued the story, basically, but they really changed Jeff Bridges' character. So much so that they might as well have just recast him and turned him into someone completely different.

I'm curious about this...in what way do you see that they changed his character in comparison to how he was played in the first one? I thought Jeff Bridges did an excellent job of not only picking up where he left off with his character alone, but also went beyond with his portrayal of Clu. I mean, that must have been one hell of a role to play two separate but, at the same time, similar characters! He did great, Imo. But back to his Flynn portrayal, the only thing I noticed (besides making him super old and much more of a 'hippie', almost to the point of bringing out his 'Dude' characteristics) was he wasn't as motivated as the first one. Which is understandable seeming how he'd been there for years by the time he was found by his son. After a certain point, most people resign themselves to their fate, even going as far as sabotaging redemption in order to keep the status quo. I thought the story was pretty well put together. They didn't bring everything back, no, and it was odd to see that the landscape of 'The Grid' had changed in appearance radically from the first one. But it was stated that Flynn had gone and started fresh again after the defeat of the Master Control Program.

From the article linked below:
The looks for the Grid aimed for a more advanced version of the cyberspace visited by Flynn in Tron, which Lisberger described as "a virtual Galapagos, which has evolved on its own". As Bailey put, the Grid would not have any influence from the internet as it had turned offline from the real world in the 1980s, and "grew on its own server into something powerful and unique". Kosinski added that as the simulation became more realistic, it would try to become closer to the real world with environmental effects such as rain and wind, and production designer Darren Gilford stated that there would be a juxtaposition between the variety of texture and color of the real world introduction in contrast with the "clean surfaces and lines" of the Grid. As the design team considered the lights a major part of the Tron look, particularly for being set in a dark world—described by effects art director Ben Procter as "dark silhouetted objects dipped in an atmosphere with clouds in-between, in a kind of Japanese landscape painting" where "the self-lighting of the objects is the main light source"—lighting was spread through every prop on the set, including the floor in Flynn's hideout.[50] Lisberger also stated that while the original Tron "reflected the way cyberspace was", the sequel was "going to be like a modern day, like contemporary plus, in terms of how much resolution, the texturing, the feel, the style", adding that "it doesn’t have that Pong Land vibe to it anymore."
The "isomorphic algorithm(s)" were another thing that was kind of...eh, 'ok, whichever'...lol...Hey any reason to get Olivia Wilde in a skin tight suit is just FINE in my book!

I also would have loved to see Bruce (Tron) in a bigger role than he had. (The movie is named after him and everything) He's such an awesome actor, I know he could've added a great deal to the movie if they'd put some stuff in for him...(For those unaware, my quote below is from Bruce's character on Babylon5, John Sheridan, where I first came to know him...and if you're even more interested (and didn't know...lol) it's from Season 5, episode 16 - 'And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder'...From a show known for it's multitudes of memorable quotes, this is the one that stuck with me through the years...

Lots of good info here if you haven't already read it... Cool

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 03:32.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 15:54 nin

And why would you introduce Dillinger's son, and then not DO anything with him?

Hello, sequel! Why else would they cast Cillian Murphy?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 15:53 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:51:
Dude I have like 4 Dota 2 keys for anyone who wants em.

I'll take one, if you're looking to get rid of them? I'm curious to see just how incredibly bad that community is.

Thanks in advance (and no biggie if not.)

Creston

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 15:51 Creston

Rigs wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:40:
I guess I'm the only one that really liked Tron Legacy? Actually, I loved it! The soundtrack too! You know, I say, just be frak'n glad they didn't reboot the series and totally ignore everything and start fresh with a whole new cast and story! Because they could have and that would've sucked!

Of course the soundtrack was awesome, it was done by Daft Punk.

I agree that it's nice that they continued the story, basically, but they really changed Jeff Bridges' character. So much so that they might as well have just recast him and turned him into someone completely different.

And why would you introduce Dillinger's son, and then not DO anything with him? Bridges taking Dillinger under his wing because he feels sorry for the kid suffering from his dad's bad decisions, showing him how to get into the system, and then Dillinger going power-mad and turning into a User-God in the system who lets everyone fight Gladiator-style for his amusement, until Bridges' son (I can't even remember their names) has to come save everyone and we get a User vs User battle would have led to exactly the same CGI sequences, except with a better storyline than "Oh noes, we're stuck. The only way out is through that IO portal, but it's just impossible to get there. Let's take this train, it goes right to it."

Creston

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 11:37 xXBatmanXx

I have the original TRON and Legacy both saved on the DVR and watch them both on a regular basis. I am a nerd for Tron I guess. I like them for what they are - which is nothing special.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 10:44 nin

I guess I'm the only one that really liked Tron Legacy? Actually, I loved it! The soundtrack too!

I liked it. And yeah, the soundtrack was awesome. As was the remix disc, if you didn't get it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 10:40 Rigs

I guess I'm the only one that really liked Tron Legacy? Actually, I loved it! The soundtrack too! You know, I say, just be frak'n glad they didn't reboot the series and totally ignore everything and start fresh with a whole new cast and story! Because they could have and that would've sucked! I'm pumped for another one. Though I already knew because of some of the interviews Bruce (Boxleitner) has been doing lately at Cons. Bruce is also one of my favorite actors of all time. (Reminds me much of my father) I knew him in B5 before realizing he was actually in TRON...lol...Though he only had a small part in Legacy and some voice bits in the game, he's said that Tron (the character) is suppose to make a re-appearance in the new one. I don't know how but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

My picks this week...c'mon GIANTS!
Falcons, Colts, Bills, Steelers, Bucs, Jets, Chiefs, Cowboys, Bears, Redskins, 49ers, Seahawks, GIANTS!, Packers, Pats

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2012, 01:17 Cutter

Nah, these are full copies. I ended up getting 4 in total for some reason - didn't test it that much but I gave some feedback on it which is probably why. I gave 1 copy to InBlack and still have 3 left to give away. I'll remind people over the next few weeks to give 'em away as Xmas prezzies.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 23:07 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:52:
I got a copy of DOTA 2 gifted to me via Steam - is that different somehow from what people are giving away keys for? Are they just for a beta or something?

Anyway, I don't like many multiplayer games even when they have good communities. For whatever reason, MOBA games seem to have some of the most infamously bad communities in gaming, so I don't plan on spending any time in multiplayer at all. Of course, I played Demigod (one of the earlier MOBA games) in singleplayer and coop exclusively, and it was pretty fun.

I think everyone got the standard DOTA 2 "view" copy? Where you can watch people play. This is "DOTA 2 Test" in my library.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 22:52 Prez

I got a copy of DOTA 2 gifted to me via Steam - is that different somehow from what people are giving away keys for? Are they just for a beta or something?

Anyway, I don't like many multiplayer games even when they have good communities. For whatever reason, MOBA games seem to have some of the most infamously bad communities in gaming, so I don't plan on spending any time in multiplayer at all. Of course, I played Demigod (one of the earlier MOBA games) in singleplayer and coop exclusively, and it was pretty fun.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 22:25 xXBatmanXx

geez everyone calm down. 3 out of 3 people chastised me. wow. Not a fan of the game, wanted to try it out so I can say I did....I suck at these types of games.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 21:52 Stormsinger

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:41:
whoa. Saw some stuff was on sale at Steam today (A LOT OF STUFF ACTUALLY) and was price checking the stuff I bought on autumn sale vs today's sale, and while checking my email (which I NEVER CHECK for my steam account) - I am now a part of the DOTA2 test!
You have my deepest sympathy...especially if you actually set foot in that slime called a community.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 21:51 Cutter

Dude I have like 4 Dota 2 keys for anyone who wants em.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 21:41 xXBatmanXx

whoa. Saw some stuff was on sale at Steam today (A LOT OF STUFF ACTUALLY) and was price checking the stuff I bought on autumn sale vs today's sale, and while checking my email (which I NEVER CHECK for my steam account) - I am now a part of the DOTA2 test!  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 21:37 Jivaro

F*CK. Why did I do it?!

Why did I let curiosity get the best of me?

Why did I try Wizardry Online?

With all due respect to anyone that may like the game or be working on the game...OMFG that game sucks.

I need another beer.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 18:35 xXBatmanXx

Couple things.

Ben Roth. is going to play Sunday. (crazy!)
Vikings are talking about going after Tebow in the offseason.
Bears receiver Bennet is out for the Vikes v Bears game (that helps)

And.....Quake 2 is 15 today. Miss me some AQ2.
Everyone should go download the standalone AQ2 client and lets fire it up! Going to triple jump on your face and shoot you with my red dot!

/Urlacher is also out. Look for Peterson to have a MONSTER day. I will be picking the Vikes now.

//DEN of course, isn't everyone taking them? No brainer....

Denver, Baltimore, Dallas, St. Louis, TB, ATL, Clev., Pitt, Colts, Jets, Vikes!, SF (come on guys!), SEA, NO, GB, HOU (going to be a GREAT GAME!)

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 21:22.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 17:28 xXBatmanXx

Wow Blue! Taking the Vikes over the Bears? Our season is over.....I hope Webb gets put in the game. Media is roasting Viking staff this week. I will be third row behind the bench cheering my brains out - but I don't think "I" am even going to take the Vikes this week! hahahahahah  

17. Re: NASA animation Dec 6, 2012, 16:49 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 10:57:
Barely any lights on Hawaii? No lights on New Zealand?

Creston

Hawaii looks right to me. The only lit up place in our state is Honolulu, the single bright light in the state in the animation. All the rest of the state is too sparsely populated to gen light.

As for New Zealand, it's a country the size of Germany with only 5% of that country's population (4m vs 80m). I would say that's expected.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 15:53 007Bistromath

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 14:30:
Don't think this has been posted yet:

Former Madden Developer loses his shit against EA on Twitter.

Creston
That entire rant can be summarized (and improved by doing so) in one single sentence.

Why doesn't anybody want my bags anymore?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 14:30 Creston

Don't think this has been posted yet:

Former Madden Developer loses his shit against EA on Twitter.

Creston

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo