Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week

A post to the HAWKEN Forums reveals that this free-to-play mech shooter will not make its planned December 12th launch date, highlighting the perils of trying to set the date 10 months in advance. Instead that date will mark the beginning of open beta testing for the game, and in preparation for this new phase, they announce that they will cease offering their Vanguard Initiative after tomorrow, so time is running out to get in on the benefits this provides. Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 6, 2012, 11:40 Jivaro

I think Scottso probably hit it on the head. Hawken isn't a bad game by any means, but I just don't think enough of the target audience will find reasons to play it that displace the competition. F2P will definitely not be enough of a reason when the competition within the genre is also F2P.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 Argenist

I've been in the beta for a while and it's been really fun. Not sure what sort of innovation people tend to nitpick about, when games like Borderlands 2, which is freaking fun to play, but innovation wise, isn't really that much going forward either.

Hawken has all the elements of an FPS along with customization of your character. The levels are pretty and matchmaking seems to work fairly well.

It'll be based on a free to play model so really you can't lose out. If you don't like it you're not out $60 bucks like some other game *cough*diablo3*cough*

5. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 6, 2012, 06:56 InBlack

MWO is making headway...if you like the Mechlab that is. That was always my favorite part of MW, customization so Im having fun with the game even in its unfinished-buggy-mess state.

No interest in Quake with Mech skins...

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 6, 2012, 05:49 Cutter

The art is nice but thats all its got going for it.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 6, 2012, 04:54 Scottso

Basically its not better than Mech Warrior Online or Planet Side 2, so imho its doomed. Those two games target both halves of the majority of folks that would play Hawken. It has giant robots but doesn't have the heavy weight feel of giant robots. It has the crazy fast pace of modern FPS but you're in a giant target/robot. It also doesn't have anything to distinguish itself from the aforementioned games. Its just Quake with giant robot skins, imho. Just not for me.  

2. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 5, 2012, 22:50 Hump

Great game. Just bee prepared for some hardcore old-school twitch shooting. You will actually burn calories playing Hawken.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

1. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 5, 2012, 22:27 Asmo

Been in beta for a while and tbh I've been kinda underwhelmed thus far. While it's kinda fun, it doesn't really stand out (apart from "stompy robots") from any one of a number of different shooter games.

Not good enough to chisel it's way on to my dance card.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo