Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
37. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 13:38 Verno

Tim wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 12:58:
I'll assume some of that was a generalisation rather than targetted at me but I find app load times, install times, start and shutdown times quicker.

I don't know, the only difference I saw was in an h264 encoder, literally every single other thing was the same or so minor as to be unnoticeable. Everything from Photoshop to a compiler to videogames to even Office. Startup/Shutdown makes no difference to me personally, I noticed hibernation was a bit faster but it didn't seem particularly noteworthy. If people are having different experiences I'd love to hear about them since I'm inherently nerdy and want to test it myself but no one ever seems to get specific.

Well there's stuff in there that made a difference to me - but I don't see the point of rehashing that (as you say) either. I'm somewhat perplexed where the "slowing sales" thing comes from though? I'd expect a rush initially, sure, but I was under the impression we're not really going to see valuable figures for some time yet from MS.

There have been several articles linked here over the past few days about it, some in the comments IIRC. Basically OEMs are unhappy with the figures and some internal Microsoft leaks say projections aren't being met. Ballmer in turn has been blaming OEMs so its sort of a back and forth thing. Microsoft also halved their hardware order for Surfaces for the year so Windows RT doesn't seem to be making an impact either. Fair enough on the rest.

As a sidenote - that was a little selective in response but no worries (and that's not a slight - just perplexed somewhat).

I tend to only respond to the sections where I have something to add, if I particularly agree/disagree with something or etc. Plus sometimes the responses get pretty big and I lose track of the point by point so I just dissect and summarize

The problem with Windows 8 in general (which we seem to agree on) is that its arriving after Windows 7 (a celebrated, stable OS) with little to offer desktop users despite asking them to make some design concessions for a totally different market. Concessions that weren't even necessary if Microsoft had listened to feedback, made more things optional and rethought some stuff instead of rushing this to market. The average user wants a reason to basically change his whole computer. It is hard to "sell" it to people because its not necessarily any better to an end user, just a bit different in a potentially bad way or the same depending on how you use it.

Tablets in general are a weird market. They're profitable if you're Apple and can leverage suppliers into the kind of pricing you want so you can hit higher profit margins but otherwise you're left with the pickings. Their growth is strange too, it's very explosive now but who knows if the upgrade bubble will burst considering their very casual usage scenarios which don't need a lot from hardware. In some ways it feels too dependent on savvy marketing and fickle consumers.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 13:58.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 5, 19:49 Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. jdreyer
  6. Dec 5, 21:31  Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. noman
  8. Dec 5, 21:53   Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. PropheT
  10. Dec 5, 23:04    Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. noman
  18. Dec 6, 05:02    Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. Fibrocyte
  31. Dec 6, 11:14    Re: More Big Picture Details HorrorScope
  39. Dec 8, 23:23  Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. Ant
  2. Dec 5, 19:56 Windows 8 a game industry failure jdreyer