Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
33. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 6, 2012, 12:07 Verno

Tim wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 09:48:
Personally, first hand experience disagrees with this - benchmarks are one thing but in real terms it's faster for me. This, if anything, is the one positive kickback from the whole tablet focus - they need the thing to be as quick and efficient as possible.

Why is it that real terms never have a quantifiable measurement? People just vaguely say "faster or more stable" with zero information. People just say some feature like "stability!" *waves hands around*. Pretty much everything seems the same to me as Windows 7 in terms of speed and stability, I wish I could say I saw a noticeable difference but games, applications, etc all seems the same. That's also why I don't really complain about the underlying stuff, it seems the same.

I did run some benchmarks, saw very very minor marginal differentials that went back and forth in specific games but that was about it. I'd also note that most benchmarking sites also test some real world usage stuff in their tests, not just synthetic tests.

There are many minor improvements to Windows 8 but whether they warrant an upgrade to users is a different matter. People get booed as haters and bashers for not wanting to blanket endorse and adopt something for no reason. Maybe if Microsoft incremented more often people wouldn't expect more from the OS but generally speaking people want a big front of the box type feature these days, especially with the economy being so tight.

I disagree that it doesn't 'really solve' any problems from 7 - it obviously does (wireless, memory management, security, explorer, dual monitors etc have all been mentioned as much improved) in a number of areas as you'd expect. I do agree the MUI stuff is far from 'done' though (although like others i quite like some bits of it having used it for a few months). I also don't like hot corners all that much either..

I don't see many things where I think "I'm glad they updated that, the Windows 7 implementation was flawed". There are some minor quality of life type adjustments to be certain but nothing that has a real impact on usage. I'll have to go digging back through the documentation but my impression was that many of the improvements only apply to WinRT built apps specifically. I'd argue some of the improvements (for example dual monitors) don't go far enough for my taste but I got it for free so I really have few personal complaints. I've been running and reading about Windows 8 since the first dev preview, I have no personal investment in its success or failure, I just recognize it for what it is.

I find it interesting that people hold up 7 as being the second coming (and I love it don't get me wrong) when Vista's biggest 'mistake' (which turned out to be a huge step forward) was it's new driver model. Nothing else caused anywhere near that amount of grief for end users.

Vista is vista, we've done the debate to death here already so I'm not going to rehash it. The problem with Windows 8 is that the only real feature you can say that makes a major impact on most usage scenarios is Metro and that has its own baggage. For the person with no operating system installed the choice is easy, you can disable Metro and use Windows 8 as a cheap copy of Windows 7. For the person who is weighing a potential upgrade the decision is murky and that's reflected now in the slowing sales now that early adopters are done and they clamped down on the $15 upgrade. The price is supposed to go up even higher next year as well.

I've been using 8 full time for 4-5 months and I'm ok with it. I feel like i'll be vilified for saying that though.

I see just as many ridiculous assertions from other early adopters that people who don't want to upgrade are resistant to change, hate Microsoft, beat their dog, whatever. It goes both ways. I use Windows 8 at home on a test machine and like it for what it is but totally understand why others are not chomping at the bit to upgrade.

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2012, 12:31.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 5, 19:49 Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. jdreyer
  6. Dec 5, 21:31  Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. noman
  8. Dec 5, 21:53   Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. PropheT
  10. Dec 5, 23:04    Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. noman
  18. Dec 6, 05:02    Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. Fibrocyte
  31. Dec 6, 11:14    Re: More Big Picture Details HorrorScope
  39. Dec 8, 23:23  Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. Ant
  2. Dec 5, 19:56 Windows 8 a game industry failure jdreyer