Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days

Activision announces that Call of Duty: Black Ops II has tallied over one billion dollars in gross sales in the just over two weeks since the release of the military shooter sequel:

Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that Call of Duty®: Black Ops II has crossed the $1 billion mark in worldwide retail sales, according to Chart-Track retail customer sell-through information and internal company estimates. Illustrating the strong appeal of interactive entertainment to audiences worldwide, the game achieved this milestone in just 15 days after its launch on November 13, 2012. Last year's Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®3 reached $1 billion in retail sales in 16 days. The box office record set for feature films in 2009 by "Avatar" was $1 billion in 17 days¹.

"The release of Call of Duty® has been one of the most significant entertainment events of each of the last six years," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. "Since Call of Duty was launched, cumulative franchise revenues from players around the world are greater than current worldwide box office receipts to date for the top-10 grossing films of 2012 combined. Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for 'Harry Potter' and 'Star Wars,' the two most successful movie franchises of all time."

Since the game's launch, more than 150 million hours have been logged online playing Call of Duty: Black Ops II on Xbox® LIVE® and PlayStation Network.

¹According to screenrant.com

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 6, 2012, 23:48 LordLaggart

I was optimistic about black ops 2 being that I liked the frist black ops. I played a friends copy for a couple hours and didn't see much of anything to keep me coming back. This game is exactly the same as any other COD you've played. After playing BF3, the combat is just laughable in COD. Just for my own entertainment, I would like to see how many times they can repackage this game and still make silly amounts of money.I would wager at least another 3-4 years of COD's AKA map packs with a couple new killstreak awards.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 6, 2012, 22:28 netnerd85

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 17:43:
geez, need a summary of some of these posts.......long posts are too long.....

CoD is fun. There is said it. This one is done the best. The game "feels" how it is supposed to. Weapons make sense. Recoil makes sense, etc. They did a pretty good job of nailing it. Maps are bigger, etc.

Worth 60 bucks? Sure, I wll get over 100 horus into it.
No. Just no.

49. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 6, 2012, 17:43 xXBatmanXx

geez, need a summary of some of these posts.......long posts are too long.....

CoD is fun. There is said it. This one is done the best. The game "feels" how it is supposed to. Weapons make sense. Recoil makes sense, etc. They did a pretty good job of nailing it. Maps are bigger, etc.

Worth 60 bucks? Sure, I wll get over 100 horus into it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

48. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 6, 2012, 00:08 netnerd85

Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 23:22:
You know what the truly sad thing about Quake 4 was? It would have made a better Doom sequel than Doom 3 did, just replace all the Strogg stuff with Demons. It played more like a Doom game, the weapons felt more like a Doom game. But the truly, truly sad part about that? Was it was developed by Raven and not id. Meaning Raven knows how to stay truer to the Doom gameplay than id does.
Why does that have to be sad? Look at Bands, do music bands ever stay the same? They have good albums, okay albums, great albums and the ones you just want to forget. Sometimes the new band members can be better, sometimes not.

We all cling on to the company name and hope they will continue to make the same greatnesss but getting the right people at the right time to create the right thing is very difficult to do and is often by chance.

And there you have it COD Black Ops 2 is the Justin Bieber of video games. Most of use with good taste have no fucking idea why anyone would buy that shit.

47. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 23:22 Trevellian

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 21:56:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:34:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:37:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:23:
Surely you jest? RAGE was a travesty.
Why do you say that? The enemies were fun to kill, the shotgun was a pleasure to use... where's the issue?

Or do you prefer cutscenes and a dramatic story line where US soldiers shoot enemies with AK47's?

I love people like you who immediately assume if someone dislikes a game, they obviously like COD. The truth is quite the opposite, my game of choice (quite obviously really if you had noticed my signature) is Planetside 2. I was a strong fan of id software, I still play Doom and Doom 2, I'd like more FPS games to be like the original Quake when it comes to multiplayer. I far and away hate COD and everything it stands for, both for the FPS world and for the gaming industry in general as it is a festering cancer that is destroying developers with a "Me too" mentality who try to strive for it's "Right place, right time" success, much like MMO's strive for Blizzards "Right place, right time" success.

My issues with RAGE are:
-The textures were shit, and this was supposed to be id's new flagship title, to show off the Tech5 engine.
-The game was short, way to short to have such a craptastic ending with no id style Boss Fight.
-The car combat was meh at best, and entirely out of place.
-The game had too much of a "Me too" feel when compared to a certain much better post apocalyptic setting FPS with a bazillion guns and better coop to play with my friends... which actually had id style Boss Fights.
-No id style multiplayer, while the car combat was amusing for about an hour with friends, it was nowhere near or as good as a straight up car combat game like Interstate '76

id needs to go back to making original Doom/Quake style shooters if they want to get me interested in their company again. I want complex maps and routes with lots of enemies to shoot at in huge gunfights (While I'm on the subject, something else Borderlands did better)

The game fell short of what any id fan expected it to be. Much like Doom 3 did.

There are many Non-COD FPS's out there that are decent, Hard Reset and Blacklight Retribution come to mind, as well as my beloved Planetside 2. While most people hated it, I actually got really into Bulletstorms story and gameplay, I loved it as much as I did any Doom or Quake infact. Mirror's Edge, you didn't even use Guns (if you chose not to anyway) and the single player was more compelling than RAGE. Natural Selection 2 is another great example of an FPS done right and it doesn't even have single player. Hell, Chivalry isn't even an FPS, it's an FPSword game, and it feels more like Quake multiplayer than RAGE did even in it's Single Player state, and thats pretty pathetic on id's part.
You know the modern MOH and Battlefield games get away with being horrible way too often. It's not that COD is the root of all evil. All games set in modern day war zones just don't do it (its not really the setting either it's just how they make FPS games). The first COD game was a breath of fresh air, no FPS was that fast paced and frantic - most of us enjoyed it at the time. Since then, No thanks.

I can understand your issues with RAGE, the art style is very different. Personally I love the look of RAGE and think it's pure ART and quiet beautiful. There was no boss fight, that was shit, indeed a huge WTF moment. The game was 20+ hours for me, not overly short for an FPS. Short for an "open-world" game but it wasn't really an open world game it was more traditional - just no corridors.

As for all the id software stuff. Never really liked Doom or Quake the original games. More of a Wolf 3D and Duke Nukem fan until Quake 4. The original Quake game was much loved, my brother used to crap on about it all the time. I thought it was brown and boring, same with Doom although I like it better. They just... weren't WW2y or Dukey enough for me.

Still yet to play Doom 3, it's on the shelve.

Hard Reset is awesome and probably better than RAGE as an FPS. But RAGE has it's place - I just don't know what that is. It's not a pure FPS, it's not open world, it doesn't have tradition graphics but I thought it was enjoyable. More people need to buy Hard Reset. [Edit] Metro 2033 was a good surprised, didn't like the ending but still good.

Saints Row The Third. Very fun COOP. Not a GTA3+ fan at all.

Dead Island. Are you serious? very fun COOP (at least with partner). The end section was boring for me though.

You know what the truly sad thing about Quake 4 was? It would have made a better Doom sequel than Doom 3 did, just replace all the Strogg stuff with Demons. It played more like a Doom game, the weapons felt more like a Doom game. But the truly, truly sad part about that? Was it was developed by Raven and not id. Meaning Raven knows how to stay truer to the Doom gameplay than id does.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

46. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 21:56 netnerd85

Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:34:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:37:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:23:
Surely you jest? RAGE was a travesty.
Why do you say that? The enemies were fun to kill, the shotgun was a pleasure to use... where's the issue?

Or do you prefer cutscenes and a dramatic story line where US soldiers shoot enemies with AK47's?

I love people like you who immediately assume if someone dislikes a game, they obviously like COD. The truth is quite the opposite, my game of choice (quite obviously really if you had noticed my signature) is Planetside 2. I was a strong fan of id software, I still play Doom and Doom 2, I'd like more FPS games to be like the original Quake when it comes to multiplayer. I far and away hate COD and everything it stands for, both for the FPS world and for the gaming industry in general as it is a festering cancer that is destroying developers with a "Me too" mentality who try to strive for it's "Right place, right time" success, much like MMO's strive for Blizzards "Right place, right time" success.

My issues with RAGE are:
-The textures were shit, and this was supposed to be id's new flagship title, to show off the Tech5 engine.
-The game was short, way to short to have such a craptastic ending with no id style Boss Fight.
-The car combat was meh at best, and entirely out of place.
-The game had too much of a "Me too" feel when compared to a certain much better post apocalyptic setting FPS with a bazillion guns and better coop to play with my friends... which actually had id style Boss Fights.
-No id style multiplayer, while the car combat was amusing for about an hour with friends, it was nowhere near or as good as a straight up car combat game like Interstate '76

id needs to go back to making original Doom/Quake style shooters if they want to get me interested in their company again. I want complex maps and routes with lots of enemies to shoot at in huge gunfights (While I'm on the subject, something else Borderlands did better)

The game fell short of what any id fan expected it to be. Much like Doom 3 did.

There are many Non-COD FPS's out there that are decent, Hard Reset and Blacklight Retribution come to mind, as well as my beloved Planetside 2. While most people hated it, I actually got really into Bulletstorms story and gameplay, I loved it as much as I did any Doom or Quake infact. Mirror's Edge, you didn't even use Guns (if you chose not to anyway) and the single player was more compelling than RAGE. Natural Selection 2 is another great example of an FPS done right and it doesn't even have single player. Hell, Chivalry isn't even an FPS, it's an FPSword game, and it feels more like Quake multiplayer than RAGE did even in it's Single Player state, and thats pretty pathetic on id's part.
You know the modern MOH and Battlefield games get away with being horrible way too often. It's not that COD is the root of all evil. All games set in modern day war zones just don't do it (its not really the setting either it's just how they make FPS games). The first COD game was a breath of fresh air, no FPS was that fast paced and frantic - most of us enjoyed it at the time. Since then, No thanks.

I can understand your issues with RAGE, the art style is very different. Personally I love the look of RAGE and think it's pure ART and quiet beautiful. There was no boss fight, that was shit, indeed a huge WTF moment. The game was 20+ hours for me, not overly short for an FPS. Short for an "open-world" game but it wasn't really an open world game it was more traditional - just no corridors.

As for all the id software stuff. Never really liked Doom or Quake the original games. More of a Wolf 3D and Duke Nukem fan until Quake 4. The original Quake game was much loved, my brother used to crap on about it all the time. I thought it was brown and boring, same with Doom although I like it better. They just... weren't WW2y or Dukey enough for me.

Still yet to play Doom 3, it's on the shelve.

Hard Reset is awesome and probably better than RAGE as an FPS. But RAGE has it's place - I just don't know what that is. It's not a pure FPS, it's not open world, it doesn't have tradition graphics but I thought it was enjoyable. More people need to buy Hard Reset. [Edit] Metro 2033 was a good surprised, didn't like the ending but still good.

Saints Row The Third. Very fun COOP. Not a GTA3+ fan at all.

Dead Island. Are you serious? very fun COOP (at least with partner). The end section was boring for me though.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2012, 22:20.

45. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 20:31 CJ_Parker

If I had a billion $$$ I wouldn't sell them in 15 days  

44. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 18:41 Orogogus

Gib007 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 17:19:
The main market for them seems to be the spotty teenagers who find games like Battlefield and Far Cry "too complex" for them. I would know, I'm a school teacher and work with them every day and all I hear is "CoD this, CoD that" day in, day out, hahaha.
Judging from a handful of tenants I've had, CoD is also extremely popular in the US military, or at least the Navy and the Marines.

43. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 18:21 Prez

My daughter is a hardcore FPS gamer who played half-life 4 or 5 times straight through, and who plays Arma (she is addicted to DayZ) and Counterstrike religiously, and she still loves Codblops 2 (she spent 12 hours playing and re-playing the campaign and is now killing zombies CoD style). She's only 12 but she's as hardcore a gamer as they come if you ask me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 17:33 Panickd

And how many copies sold is that? And how much profit is that for Activision?

*Snore* Yay! Our numbers are big! But unless you compare them to other numbers (which are seemingly unknown) they are meaningless. Good luck with the useless stats brigade though!

41. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 17:19 Gib007

The main market for them seems to be the spotty teenagers who find games like Battlefield and Far Cry "too complex" for them. I would know, I'm a school teacher and work with them every day and all I hear is "CoD this, CoD that" day in, day out, hahaha.  

40. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 16:42 Shineyguy

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 16:08:
Yakubs wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:39:
While I agree with you that RAGE sucked, let's be real. Your list of games sucks just as much -- you countered a mainstream dumbed-down AAA title by listing a bunch of other mainstream dumbed-down titles.

Dude, Saints Row The Third is incredible! So much style and entertainment and humor packed into one title.

I wasn't really trying to counter RAGE. I was just asked what I thought was a good game. For me, it's about being entertained and not feeling like the developers completely forgot how to actually make a game work on a PC.

I always thought Saints Row the Third was just a GTA knock off until I was gifted the game on Steam.

Holy hell did I put a lot of time into that game after I installed it. So very entertaining and as you said the humor of the game is insane.

39. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 16:14 SM0k3

Once you played one, you played them all. nothing they added is worth another 60 bucks but kudos to them on their great sales yet once again.  

38. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 16:08 DeadlyAccurate

Yakubs wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:39:
While I agree with you that RAGE sucked, let's be real. Your list of games sucks just as much -- you countered a mainstream dumbed-down AAA title by listing a bunch of other mainstream dumbed-down titles.

Dude, Saints Row The Third is incredible! So much style and entertainment and humor packed into one title.

I wasn't really trying to counter RAGE. I was just asked what I thought was a good game. For me, it's about being entertained and not feeling like the developers completely forgot how to actually make a game work on a PC.

37. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 15:49 Verno

spindoctor wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 11:53:
A few days ago Microsoft claimed to have sold 40 million Win 8 licenses. I'm sure they're okay with the way their sales are going.

Not really, they're disappointed in conversion rates and sold a large quantity of those at $15 as it is. Surface demand has also been tepid to say the least. In fact they're being forced to raise enterprise prices to make up some of the difference on quarterlies. Weird comparison anyway though! Probably more accurate to say Microsoft wishes it had CoD along with Halo but I'm sure they'll buy some exclusive DLC or whatever.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

36. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 15:39 Yakubs

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:15:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:06:
So what DO you think is a good game?

Assuming we're sticking with newer, action-oriented stuff (and not older stuff like Half-Life 2 or indie titles or MMOs):
Borderlands 1/2
Saints Row The Third ( <-- seriously, one of the best games I've played in years in any genre)
The Elder Scrolls/Fallout games
I even enjoyed Crysis 2 more than RAGE. At least I didn't want to scream at my monitor when I played it.

35. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 15:15 DeadlyAccurate

SirKnight wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:06:
So what DO you think is a good game?

Assuming we're sticking with newer, action-oriented stuff (and not older stuff like Half-Life 2 or indie titles or MMOs):
Borderlands 1/2
Saints Row The Third ( <-- seriously, one of the best games I've played in years in any genre)
The Elder Scrolls/Fallout games
I even enjoyed Crysis 2 more than RAGE. At least I didn't want to scream at my monitor when I played it.

34. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 14:24 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 14:22:
"Since Call of Duty was launched, cumulative franchise revenues from players around the world are greater than current worldwide box office receipts to date for the top-10 grossing films of 2012 combined.

THIS STATEMENT IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS.

Can someone please fucking murder every damn marketing peon on the planet? Maybe we can have a "Murder a fucking marketing grad" day or something.

Creston

See? COD DOES cause violence! Right there!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 14:22 Creston

"Since Call of Duty was launched, cumulative franchise revenues from players around the world are greater than current worldwide box office receipts to date for the top-10 grossing films of 2012 combined.

THIS STATEMENT IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS.

Can someone please fucking murder every damn marketing peon on the planet? Maybe we can have a "Murder a fucking marketing grad" day or something.

Creston

32. Re: Black Ops II Sells $1B in 15 Days Dec 5, 2012, 14:11 ViRGE

Darks wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:37:
Dev wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:29:
The box office record set for feature films in 2009 by "Avatar" was $1 billion in 17 days

Jeez. Better than the best selling movie. Plus the movie probably cost much more to produce.

Yea, well Avatar didn’t cost you an arm and leg to walk into the theater either. You can’t compare apples to oranges here guys.
Video games are also incredibly frontloaded. Most of the sales happen in the first days if not weeks (thanks to pre-orders), which is why games are almost always failures if they don't sell at least 100K copies in the first week. With the exception of a handful of games, the long tail basically does not exist in this industry.

Movies on the other hand have a very long tail. They're actually capacity constrained at the beginning (only so many seats), followed by a number of weeks of still pulling in money from additional viewings, second run theaters, etc. Then there's the international release, PPV, and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

Games will always be the "first to $X", that's the nature of the industry. Unless sales of video games as a whole greatly increase however, the highest grossing movies are still safe from video games for the time being. The Avengers for example has a worldwide ticket take of $1.5B, plus whatever the PPV and DVD/Blu-Ray sales did.

Anyhow, I'm happy to see video games as an industry doing so well. However I'm disappointed that the best selling game of the year is Call of Duty. It wouldn't be so bad, if not for the fact that CoD is such a mediocre game. Even within the realm of FPSes, there are better FPSes out there than this.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo