Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Petroglyph Layoffs?

Las Vegas developer Petroglyph has cut about 30 jobs, reports Eurogamer, pointing the way a twitter post from Adam Stevens: "Layoffs at Petroglyph. Looking like I'll be Leaving Las Vegas." They note that this plays into the recent revelation that beta testing of End of Nations is postponed. They say they have it "on good authority that 30 developers have been laid off." Petroglyph has not yet commented on that news.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 6, 2012, 17:21 swaaye

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 17:57:
It's hard to make an RTS without a large publisher footing the bill for high end production values. Every game they've done since leaving Westwood/EALA has been total shit.

Coming up with fresh new ideas that rock is a hard thing to pull off, especially when they have to cater to the whims of a publisher that's funding it.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 14:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 17:57 RollinThundr

Darks wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 17:54:
swaaye wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:35:
Darks wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:41:
These are the same talented people who originally gave us CnC and this is how they have fallen.
Actually I think a lot of Westwood people have long since left.

You are correct, many did, but some of the main guys who headed up the development of CnC are still there. I talked to one of the guys and we talked about CnC and Star Wars. But yea these guys have defiantly lost their touch.

It's hard to make an RTS without a large publisher footing the bill for high end production values. Every game they've done since leaving Westwood/EALA has been total shit.

7. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 17:54 Darks

swaaye wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:35:
These are the same talented people who originally gave us CnC and this is how they have fallen.

You are correct, many did, but some of the main guys who headed up the development of CnC are still there. I talked to one of the guys and we talked about CnC and Star Wars. But yea these guys have defiantly lost their touch.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 15:48 Optional nickname

it totally boggles my mind, why Petroglyph didn't make proper Dune2 / CNC clones that were their prestige work back in the day of Westwood studios. Instead they did some starwars thing, and I never heard of them since. too bad.  

5. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 15:35 swaaye

4. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 14:49 Axis

The writing was on the walls with the Mytheon beta, we knew quite obviously they were not the same petroglyph - a bunch of douches actually minus a few lip service forum guys, and their lack of success afterwards is no surprise.

Petroglyph needed to reorder from the top down -- the lead devs are so full of themselves, make piss-poor decisions, and don't listen.

I'm surprised they were able to make a dime since then, they likely haven't.

Yours truly,

Axis

3. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 11:48 Cutter

Not everything has to be F2P! Most of us still want to buy a complete and finished product without a subscription model or being nickel and dimed with a cash shop.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 11:13 DangerDog

free-2-fail

this one didn't even last the compulsory six months.

1. Re: Petroglyph Layoffs? Dec 5, 2012, 10:41 Darks

This is what happens when you try to make a stupid RTS game free to play with a market that is only pvp. I saw this game at E3 and felt like chocking out the devs. These are the same talented people who originally gave us CnC and this is how they have fallen. And to be honest, when I watched them playing the game and tried a little of it myself. I thought that the game was garbage.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo