Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"

John Smedley tweets about banning a "scumbag" from PlanetSide 2, getting rid of a culprit in widely reported hacking incidents in the MMOFPS sequel, saying: "Haruhi at http://artificialaiming.com was just banned. all 3 of his accounts. Goodbye you scumbag. Find a new hobby or get good at the game." He adds the cheater hunt will continue: "we don't need to cross reference anything. Use it.. we'll find you. we'll find your family. we'll hunt you down." Thanks Eurogamer.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 15:54 Verno

Yeah that's fair but people cheat for different reasons and even cheating up progression takes time to do. You still need to "earn" all of the stuff that makes the game interesting again. The people who do it to socially disrupt are a different story, the top of scoreboards guy is going to want all of the certs/etc.

They can't really do anything other than ban them though and many companies (EA) are scared to even do that. It is easier to get your EA account banned through forum shenanigans than it is by cheating in one of their online games.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 15:51 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:09:
In any MMO game losing your account is a big deal, I wouldn't want all of my certs / etc gone. I certainly wouldn't want to lose all of my certs / etc. IP bans can affect others and be really unfair.

But you value your certs and achievements and whatever because you actually worked/played for them. How does this translate to a cheater? He (she) cheated his way to them, so what does he care about losing them? Create a new account, cheat your way back to them.

I think the mindset of someone who cheats and gets that self-validation through seeing his score at the top, even though he knows it's unfair, wouldn't be that interested in the long-term stuff, especially if you can just get it back again.

Of course, I am no psychiatrist by any means.

Creston

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 15:09 Verno

MxxCon wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 14:47:
Great PR move by a President, Sony Online Entertainment to threaten somebody's family because of their fucking game.
Looks like that doucebag started backpedaling
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/276289500039245824
Just to a make sure people know I was joking - we aren't hunting down hacker's families. Someone thought I was being too aggressive.

You don't understand the target audience if you think it's a bad PR move, MMOFPS players want game balance and integrity as much as gameplay itself. The BF3 approach of doing nothing and ignoring the problem blows. No one rational thought he was being literal anyway.

Yes. So Smedley is thumping his chest and before he was able to hit the "post" button, the cheater had already simply made a new account

In any MMO game losing your account is a big deal, I wouldn't want all of my certs / etc gone. I certainly wouldn't want to lose all of my certs / etc. IP bans can affect others and be really unfair.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 15:09 WarpCrow

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:58:
Social pressure means their closest friends Not some abstract community. The inner circle of their monkeysphere, so to speak.

Most cheaters on the Internet would instantly stop if we could get into their inner circle and chastise them there. It doesn't need violence or any other method, chastising them to their CLOSEST friend is all that's needed. Of course, shaming them by real name is the approach vector for that, but in a sense that's like the nuclear weapon ;p

By the way -> http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

Well, yes, if a person close to them makes a big deal out of them cheating then they might just stop, but that can't always happen and I don't think it means we shouldn't try to shoot them down where we can. You can't just leave them alone to wreak havoc as they please. It might not stop the dedicated ones, but at least it's a speed bump and it might cause others to stop and consider whether they want to risk losing their legitimately earned progress.

Either way, it's important to show the players that they're doing something. I've seen communities die in a large part because you could cheat or bot without consequence and it was taken advantage of extensively enough that people got sick of it.

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 14:55 Fibrocyte

MxxCon wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 14:47:
Great PR move by a President, Sony Online Entertainment to threaten somebody's family because of their fucking game.
Just to a make sure people know I was joking - we aren't hunting down hacker's families. Someone thought I was being too aggressive.

Want to know how I know you're a PlanetSide 2 cheater?

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 14:47 MxxCon

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 14:25 Creston

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:00:
This game is free to play, right? So... hackers can just make a new account whenever they want... right?

Yes. So Smedley is thumping his chest and before he was able to hit the "post" button, the cheater had already simply made a new account.

Creston

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 14:07 Will W

I wondered why he posted a link to the web site...like he was telling people where to find the hacks. Then I clicked on the link, and found it wasn't the site....A little google with the guy's name and "artificialaiming" and I found out the site is artificialaiming.net and that dude appears to make the hacks (is on staff at least).

Maybe he's just trying to tell people not to buy the hacks there?

20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:58 Stimpack

Social pressure... Ahahahahahahaha...... hahahahaha.  

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:55 Turglar

Cool "banned" a hacker from a f2p game, good job.  

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:46 Trevellian

Fion wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:28:
That is one out of potentially thousands. I run into people using speed hacks or auto-hit hacks almost every day. Combined with the 'huge' problem of each continent being controlled by one faction with 10% pop from others, I've basically stopped playing until they both fix the hacking problems and find a solution to the population issues.

Oh and lgFreiss, that is one of the more common 'hacks'. Combined with a speed hack it makes killing those people impossible. I used to only see them once in a while, now if I spend an hour online I'll encounter half a dozen.

What server are you playing on? On Waterson we have constant even 3 way battles on every continent most nights. There is no problem with Population, most nights the larger Outfits on a faction decide they're going to go for a specific continent Benefit and they push it hard till the other factions abandon the continent due to sheer numbers or better tactics, but you'll find even battles on the other 2 continents almost all the time.

And I've said this in another thread and I'll say it again, since release I play at average probably 4-5 hours on days when I work, and probably upwards of 10 hours on my day off, and have still not encountered 1 person I could clearly accuse of hacking.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:28 Fion

That is one out of potentially thousands. I run into people using speed hacks or auto-hit hacks almost every day. Combined with the 'huge' problem of each continent being controlled by one faction with 10% pop from others, I've basically stopped playing until they both fix the hacking problems and find a solution to the population issues.

Oh and lgFreiss, that is one of the more common 'hacks'. Combined with a speed hack it makes killing those people impossible. I used to only see them once in a while, now if I spend an hour online I'll encounter half a dozen.

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:26 Beelzebud

It's cool to see them taking an aggressive stance.

Blizzard charged 60.00 for Diablo 2, makes money from an AH, and I've seen them make an example of a cheater like this zero times.

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:20 ASeven

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:13:
This game is free to play, right? So... hackers can just make a new account whenever they want... right?

I assume its tied to their steam account so they'd have to make a new steam account aswell? Which although not impossible sure would suck

PS2 is not Steam exclusive, you can download and play the game with its own launcher which is what I do.

I presume they could ban people by IP though, for the little good that does anyway.

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:13 dj LiTh

I assume its tied to their steam account so they'd have to make a new steam account aswell? Which although not impossible sure would suck

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:00 TychoCelchuuu

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 12:58 eRe4s3r

Social pressure means their closest friends Not some abstract community. The inner circle of their monkeysphere, so to speak.

Most cheaters on the Internet would instantly stop if we could get into their inner circle and chastise them there. It doesn't need violence or any other method, chastising them to their CLOSEST friend is all that's needed. Of course, shaming them by real name is the approach vector for that, but in a sense that's like the nuclear weapon ;p

By the way -> http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2012, 13:07.

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 12:19 Trevellian

LgFriess wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:56:
Experienced what I assume was my first cheater last night. Could have just been very bad lag on his part though. He was chasing me around a capture point and whenever I would try to shoot him, he would blink all around the screen, finally ending up to my right flank and killing me. I didn't outright claim hacking in general chat though as I'm not sure how a super laggy player would appear. It was very suspicious though.

Honestly this most likely just sounds like overseas bad connection lag to me. We have a buddy in our Outfit that we know is not cheating, he is simply stationed in Afghanistan. We watch his name bounce around towers all the time. It's rather amusing, though I am sure frustrating to enemy players. It's the only connection they have available on their base though, not really his fault.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 12:14 WarpCrow

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:26:
Why? Cheaters can only be stopped through social pressure, not via bans..

You think you're going to stop cheaters by chastising them? No... Cheating can't be stopped altogether, but it can be mitigated and minimized by a prompt and firm response from the people who run the game. In my experience, cheaters couldn't care less what the community thinks of them. Depending on the person, they're just out to rustle jimmies or feel powerful and advance faster. The entire act of cheating in a multiplayer game rests on a lack of empathy and concern for the people you're playing with.

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 11:11 dj LiTh

LgFriess wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 10:56:
Experienced what I assume was my first cheater last night. Could have just been very bad lag on his part though. He was chasing me around a capture point and whenever I would try to shoot him, he would blink all around the screen, finally ending up to my right flank and killing me. I didn't outright claim hacking in general chat though as I'm not sure how a super laggy player would appear. It was very suspicious though.

I think if lag was the culprit for what you described that you would be the one lagging, not him. If he was lagging you would see him as not 'jumping around' but prolly just acting like my mother playing ps2. His perception would be to jumping around however.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo