Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2012, 15:55 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 15:33:
Sounds great overall. Can't say I'm surprised that Dragon Riding is such a hackneyed feature though, the game in general has a bunch of weak mechanics strung together by a brilliant world and exploration theme. Mounted combat sucks even with mods and riding around in the sky would quickly lose its novelty once you realize it removes the primary reason for playing. The Vampire Lord stuff in Dawnguard was also pretty gimmicky. I think they need to bring in some gameplay designers from other studios at some point, probably the only way can get some modern gameplay designs in without losing the RPG aspects entirely.

Looking forward to everything else, it sounds like a full on expansion! I hope the quests and themed guild stuff are well written.

The weird thing is that someone created a mod to ride a dragon in oblivion, and it was smooth as fucking silk. So why they (apparently) still can't get it done in Skyrim is just nuts, especially since Bethesda already had to put code for flying creatures in there. (though that code is shoddy as hell. Dragons fly exactly one pattern, and the "crashing" part is so lame it defies description.)

I gotta agree that I wish they'd get some better animators/scripters who could really do that kind of stuff justice. The first time I saw a Dragon launch itself from the ground, fly in a ridiculous arc, only so it could then crashland on its pre-designated "CRASH HERE!" spot was such a massive game-breaking, facepalm moment that I have no idea how anyone at Bethesda saw that and didn't go "Dudes, WTF? We can't ship with this?!"

But oh well, I don't really care about Dragon Riding. Like horse riding, it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole open world thing. If you want to get somewhere without encountering anything, why then not just use fast travel?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2012, 15:33 Verno

Sounds great overall. Can't say I'm surprised that Dragon Riding is such a hackneyed feature though, the game in general has a bunch of weak mechanics strung together by a brilliant world and exploration theme. Mounted combat sucks even with mods and riding around in the sky would quickly lose its novelty once you realize it removes the primary reason for playing. The Vampire Lord stuff in Dawnguard was also pretty gimmicky. I think they need to bring in some gameplay designers from other studios at some point, probably the only way can get some modern gameplay designs in without losing the RPG aspects entirely.

Looking forward to everything else, it sounds like a full on expansion! I hope the quests and themed guild stuff are well written.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2012, 14:40 avianflu

I am excited too but the review seemed particularly rushed no?  

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2012, 14:28 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:32:
From the Dragonborn Review:
This isn't DLC. This is an expansion, like in the good old days.

W00t! This is exactly what i wanted to hear!

Yeah, I'm pretty damn excited for Dragonborn. Thinking about maybe making yet another character and not making it so overpowered for Dragonborn.

Creston

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 5, 2012, 13:32 dj LiTh

From the Dragonborn Review:
This isn't DLC. This is an expansion, like in the good old days.

W00t! This is exactly what i wanted to hear!

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo