Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NCsoft Seattle "Realignment"

PC Gamer has word on a shakeup at NCsoft's Seattle offices after contacting the Guild Wars 2 publisher to follow up on anonymous rumors that the Seattle studio had closed. The company denied the closure, but does admit that jobs have been lost there as the result of a "realignment," though the extent of this is not known at this point, nor is it clear how, if at all, this will impact Guild Wars 2. "NCsoft is realigning internal publishing resources to better suit the needs of our game development studios," PR Director Lincoln Davis told them. "As a result of the realignment, several employees and contract positions were affected. This was a very tough decision to make and wish the best for all NCsoft employees in their next ventures."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 6, 2012, 16:12 RollinThundr

wtf_man wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:35:
Probably because you are one.

EDIT: After re-reading that... it came out a little more harsh than I intended. I meant "are probably one from that generation, so that's why you take offense"... not necessarily that "you specifically" have ADHD or think "that the world owes you a living".

If you've read any of his political posts there's no probably about it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 16:55 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:35:

EDIT: After re-reading that... it came out a little more harsh than I intended. I meant "are probably one from that generation, so that's why you take offense"... not necessarily that "you specifically" have ADHD or think "that the world owes you a living".

Stop and think for a second where you are and who tends to end up here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 16:50 Axis

Dades wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:05:
Kobalt wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:41:
I don't know about decline(with no subscription I doubt they care too deeply). The game sure didn't sell nearly as well as you would think with all the hype the game was getting though. People declaring it the death of the subscription mmo but it looks like ones without one aren't that much more popular.

It sold over 5 million copies already and has a pretty stable ongoing revenue stream in the shop. If that's not a success I don't know what is. Publishers always lay off post release. It's not the second coming of WOW and was never intended to be. The player base tends to rise and fall with major releases of other games, its been a busy year.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Spoken like a tru fanboi Dades! Filled with false information any google search will uncover, and peppering it with useless bits of "busy years and player bases". All after being proved, yet again, how horribly wrong you were about most things gaming.

Aren't you supposed to be "holding over" still in Torchlight 2? I recall your rabidness for that as well, spitting forum daggers for anyone who spoke ill of your perceived all nighters while waiting patiently for grim dawn while denouncing POE.

Yours truly,

Axis

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 5, 2012, 09:41 HorrorScope

Narf2029 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 01:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:53:
Narf - About being pissed about COH, how long do we really expect these to last?

Ultima Online is still running. Everquest is still running.

Right but if they shut down I would find it hard to get really pissed about it. Oh well.

17. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 09:35 wtf_man

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2012, 15:31.

16. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 09:29 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:13:
With the ADHD entitlement generation...

This has got to be the dumbest term I repeatedly see around here.

-------------

15. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 09:13 wtf_man

I still play GW2, but very casually. Just started a second character, and I still have the world map to complete on the first (almost there).

The big downfall will be if they don't fix the culling issue in WvW soon. People are getting pissed and leaving. I won't even get into WvW until it's fixed. They also need to put more things in the shop... there's nothing in the shop that I really want, and I'm guessing that is the same for the majority of people. I'm not talking pay2win items... but they need way more variety of armor and weapon skins, etc. for me to be interested.

For PvE I still think it is one of the best MMOs made in years. The coop design without forcing to group just makes the game shine, for the most part. There are some frustrating sections like there are in any MMO, but on the whole it is very well done, IMO. If they go radically changing the gameplay... they'll probably end up losing more than gaining, like SOE did with Star Wars Galaxy NGE.

With the ADHD entitlement generation... I'm really not to surprised that there is a more rapid and larger decline in server populations with newer MMO's than oldschool MMO's like EQ, when the genre was fairly fresh.

/shrug

14. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 02:30 .Drifter

Rumor I heard was that they were trying to either divest themselves of their American developers, or possibly absorb them, lay off all the American workers, then run them out of Korea.
Not sure how that would work with Arena Net though . . .

Then again, this could just be a rumor started by disgruntled CoH fans . . . of which I'm kinda one.

13. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 02:26 heroin

hydrahead is almost gone, time to grow.  

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 5, 2012, 01:04 Narf2029

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:53:
Narf - About being pissed about COH, how long do we really expect these to last?

Ultima Online is still running. Everquest is still running. I don't know about UO (edit: according to UO.com they just hit 15 years and they're still developing for it!) but EQ still gets updated. I don't expect an MMO to last forever but if it's still got 100k users and turns a profit consistently, why shut it down? I really doubt the combined user base of UO and EQ top 100k, yet on they go. Most of us former City players are only pissed off about the situation because the shutdown made no sense (not to mention that it was handled in a sudden and cruel way). If it had been losing money then yeah, that makes sense. It may not have been printing money WoW-style, but what does? If it barely saw any new development then yeah, shut it down, but the developers were days away from releasing another major content update when the news hit. And when I say the news hit, I mean the developers found out they were fired when they went to work one day and the building was locked. Who does that?

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2012, 01:09.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

11. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 5, 2012, 00:04 NewMaxx

Publishers always lay off post release.

Yep. Pretty much standard practice in the industry. The best time to do that is near the end of a financial quarter and after the game is running smoothly; that means December (Q4).

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 23:53 HorrorScope

It sold over 5 million copies already and has a pretty stable ongoing revenue stream in the shop.

Where are you getting 5, last I heard it was approaching 3.

9. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 23:51 Mordecai Walfish

Axis wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 21:56:
Looks like you self professed rabid GW2 players aren't as rabid afterall?

The Guild Wars 2 well ran dry *much* sooner than I expected.

What more can you expect from a game that amounts to a MMO Merry-Go-Round? I had more fun exploring than anything else in the game, and once that got old, it all got old.

8. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 23:05 Dades

Kobalt wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:41:
I don't know about decline(with no subscription I doubt they care too deeply). The game sure didn't sell nearly as well as you would think with all the hype the game was getting though. People declaring it the death of the subscription mmo but it looks like ones without one aren't that much more popular.

It sold over 5 million copies already and has a pretty stable ongoing revenue stream in the shop. If that's not a success I don't know what is. Publishers always lay off post release. It's not the second coming of WOW and was never intended to be. The player base tends to rise and fall with major releases of other games, its been a busy year.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 22:41 Kobalt

6. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 22:03 Narf2029

From what I heard (which I heard during the final hours of City of Heroes, so take it with a grain of salt), GW2 is declining already. I also heard many people are quitting or being told to stay away because the devs are planning to make radical changes to gameplay already. Is either thing true? I have no idea, but enough people are saying it that maybe it's hurting NCSoft's bottom line whether it's true or not. I personally won't be getting GW2 unless it finds its way into my hands for free. I won't lie - I'm pretty pissed that City of Heroes was terminated and the last thing I'll do is give NCSoft any of my money again. GW2 was the only other game NCSoft has that I had any interest in, so now there is nothing. But, maybe that's for the best - they can keep their Asian-styled grindfests (since that seems to be all they are interested in making), and if that means they can't stay operational in North America, good riddance.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

5. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 21:56 Axis

Looks like you self professed rabid GW2 players aren't as rabid afterall?  

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 21:35 Cutter

Gotta love the PR speak much how like intelligence agencies "liquidate" assets when they become liabilities instead of you know...murdering some guy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 21:34 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:55:
Longswd wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:46:
How the fuck do people like this justify their existence?
By confusing people. How else can they justify themselves? Well to answer that, they'd give you a 28,000 page thesis on it.

By saying things that make it hard to be sued.

-------------

2. Re: NCsoft Seattle Dec 4, 2012, 20:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Longswd wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 20:46:
How the fuck do people like this justify their existence?
By confusing people. How else can they justify themselves? Well to answer that, they'd give you a 28,000 page thesis on it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo