Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Released; Patched

Ubisoft announces the release of Far Cry 3, saying the open world sequel is the "highest rated shooter of the year" (though this applies to the Xbox 360 edition). A patch is already available to support the release by updating the game to version 1.02, and this can be found on AtomicGamer, The Patches Scrolls, and Worthplaying. As it dances into stores, here's word on the game:

Today, Ubisoft® announced that Far Cry®3, the open world first person shooter from Ubisoft Montreal and Massive, is now available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows® PC.

Far Cry 3 has received critical acclaim by reviewers and is currently the highest rated shooter of the year*. In Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island. In this savage paradise where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing, players dictate how the story unfolds, from the battles they choose to fight to the allies or enemies they make along the way. As Jason Brody, players will slash, sneak, detonate and shoot their way across the island in a world that has lost all sense of right and wrong.

All editions of Far Cry 3 are now available for purchase on the Uplay Shop, at retail outlets throughout North America, and is also available digitally on the Sony PlayStation®Network.

As with every Uplay enabled game, players on all platforms will be able to earn Uplay Units by completing actions in-game and redeem exclusive rewards with those Units. For the complete list of Far Cry 3 Uplay rewards, please visit: http://www.uplay.com

Far Cry 3 is also the first game to use the new Uplay PC Party System. With the Party System, Windows PC players can create a party by inviting their Uplay friends to team up to take on any multiplayer challenge. With the integrated Uplay Friends interface, they can also find new friends and communicate in-game during the multiplayer session.

In January 2013, the Far Cry 3: High Tides downloadable co-op pack will be made available for free on the Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. This exclusive DLC will contain two new story chapters with four to five missions each and four character skins.

The co-op story is far from over. Hoyt's privateers have ambushed the four survivors and taken them hostage. It's up to you and your friends to escape and underground prison and find a way off this island of insanity.

Far beyond the limits of civilization lies an island, a lawless place ruled by violence and human suffering, where your only escape is through drugs or the muzzle of a gun. This is where you find yourself, stranded in a place that has forgotten right from wrong, a place where you must live by the principles of violence to survive.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

11. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 22:50 jacobvandy

Shok wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:27:
Does a Uplay disconnection cause the single player to kick you out?

Can this be played entirely offline?

I'd really like to get this game but only if single player can be played entirely offline since my internet is too flaky at times. Otherwise I may buy it bargain bin in a year or so and use a 3rd party *ahem* enhancement to make it offline capable.

You just set Uplay to offline. It will complain about you not being able to access all the features, blah blah, but Story mode works perfectly fine. The hooplah a few days ago about their servers going down and screwing people over was due to some weird design glitch where attempting to launch in online mode and then failing to connect caused problems. Still stupid, but entirely avoidable.

LazyCat wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:35:
Horribly buggy, about what you would expect from ubisoft.
Second mission in, you cant even get out of the jeep. You are just stuck there.

Never happened to me. However I did see a different glitch, sort of similar I guess, in a later mission. Just reload your checkpoint/restart the mission and it should be fine. I'm guessing you don't play many games, if one little instance of something like that pisses you off?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 22:35 LazyCat

Horribly buggy, about what you would expect from ubisoft.
Second mission in, you cant even get out of the jeep. You are just stuck there.

9. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 22:27 Shok

Does a Uplay disconnection cause the single player to kick you out?

Can this be played entirely offline?

I'd really like to get this game but only if single player can be played entirely offline since my internet is too flaky at times. Otherwise I may buy it bargain bin in a year or so and use a 3rd party *ahem* enhancement to make it offline capable.

8. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 22:18 Asmo

2nd_floor wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 21:14:
If Far Cry 3 has some difficulty running on GTX 580 in SLi, and even a *little* bit iffy maybe on GTX 680 in SLi, how the heck is it running on consoles? Obviously not at the quality of PCs. I guess it looks about the same as Far Cry 2 does (on consoles). That's exciting!! Haha

To those who have 680s (SLi or not), which games did you buy them for? What PC games possibly use 680s to their full capabilities today, lets say at 1920x1080, save Far Cry 3? I can't even think of which games use my 580s in SLi to their max! Haha. I don't think Crysis 2 did. Nor Rage. Maybe Borderlands 2?

Amazing to see a PC game using full hardware capabilities today, wow!!

I bought a 680 4 gig (one of the first 50 shipped worldwide X) to drive nvidia surround (3x 24" 1920x1200 = 6080x1200 bezel corrected).

Works like a charm of most modern titles when they support full surround.

7. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 22:11 jacobvandy

The story is "pretty short" in Skyrim, too, if that's ALL you do... If, however, you wander around, craft, collect treasure, liberate outposts, uncover the map, and try out some other side quests and tasks in between (basically, PLAY THE GAME), Far Cry 3 really is not that short at all. Depending on how much time you spend exploring, you're looking at 20-30 hours, at the very least. Literally the only way it could be less than that is if you're bee-lining toward every primary mission location, but even then it's much longer than any Call of Duty, etc. And that's not including the entirely separate co-op campaign, or somewhat unique competitive multiplayer.

The single-player alone is worth every penny of the $50, IMO.

Funny story about hard-coded key bindings: I changed crouch from 'C' to 'Ctrl' like any sane PC gamer would do, but later in the game they use that for deploying your parachute... Needless to say, the awesomeness of that surprise equipment upgrade was spoiled a teeny bit by the inevitable *SPLAT* caused by the game prompting me to hit the wrong key.

6. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:55 wrlwnd

Well, I was really looking forward to this.

But short story = bargain bin for me.

I'll pick it up when it hits the $15 mark.

5. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:41 Shataan

I have a 6 core 1090T at 3600 mhz. GTX 680. 8 gigs ram with a RAID 0 setup. I am maxed ingame vis settings at 1680x1050. No problems at all for game performance. Absolutely love the visuals in dx11. Weap models are really sweet. Game overall looks amazing. Altho the color pallete has the game looking on the cartoonish side. Awesome animations alround.

FarCry had in the vis setting applet 3 settings to allow for stock color saturation, and 2 others that allowed you to set it so the ingame colors looked more gritty realistic. Why they didn`t include this in FC 3 is anyones guess. It would have rocked.

The RPG menu system is clunky as it gets tho. I`d rather spend more time in the gameworld than hitting Esc. to make stuff etc etc etc. But aaah well. Not digging that some controls REFUSE to allow me to change to MY liking. Guess that`s the consolisms rearing its fugly head. ;p

So far the coolness outwieghs the cons.

4. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:27 Orphic Resonance

ive got one 560ti.. on 3.4ghz i5 with 8gb RAM.. i do have a SSD as well

game runs 45-ish fps with all settings on high, but thats in 1360x768

btw, best looking explosions EVER, imo.. yes, in all game history!

one thing that is REALLY stupid is how awesomely real the fire looks, but how it doesnt even burn the grass or trees down, or even remove the leaves or anything.. it just turns the texture black and smoldering, and gives off sparks... thats pretty lame, but oh well

3. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:14 2nd_floor

If Far Cry 3 has some difficulty running on GTX 580 in SLi, and even a *little* bit iffy maybe on GTX 680 in SLi, how the heck is it running on consoles? Obviously not at the quality of PCs. I guess it looks about the same as Far Cry 2 does (on consoles). That's exciting!! Haha

To those who have 680s (SLi or not), which games did you buy them for? What PC games possibly use 680s to their full capabilities today, lets say at 1920x1080, save Far Cry 3? I can't even think of which games use my 580s in SLi to their max! Haha. I don't think Crysis 2 did. Nor Rage. Maybe Borderlands 2?

Amazing to see a PC game using full hardware capabilities today, wow!!

2. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:08 Fion

I'm enjoying it. The gun play is rather lose and the vehicles drive even worse than FC2. But I'm having fun with some of the upgraded weapons, hunting and sniping enemies with a bow.

I posted my 'first hour' review in a previous comment section and it wasn't quite so favorable, but the more I play the more it's growing on me heh.

And yea, the side missions are largely crap. Sucks the story is short, especially considering how long FC2 was. I hope there's enough extra content just to do. Explore the world, hunt, etc. But then again in most open world games like this I barely touch the main story. I have 287 hours in Skyrim on Steam, and I haven't even done the 'infiltrate the embasy' mission on my main character, or done the Horn of the Windcaller mission on my vamp alt.

1. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 20:34 Orphic Resonance

this game is ridiculously good.. yes its that good

even though the side missions are crap, and the storyline is pretty short

it still rocks so hard

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo