Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Released; Patched

Ubisoft announces the release of Far Cry 3, saying the open world sequel is the "highest rated shooter of the year" (though this applies to the Xbox 360 edition). A patch is already available to support the release by updating the game to version 1.02, and this can be found on AtomicGamer, The Patches Scrolls, and Worthplaying. As it dances into stores, here's word on the game:

Today, Ubisoft® announced that Far Cry®3, the open world first person shooter from Ubisoft Montreal and Massive, is now available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows® PC.

Far Cry 3 has received critical acclaim by reviewers and is currently the highest rated shooter of the year*. In Far Cry 3, players step into the shoes of Jason Brody, a man alone at the edge of the world, stranded on a mysterious tropical island. In this savage paradise where lawlessness and violence are the only sure thing, players dictate how the story unfolds, from the battles they choose to fight to the allies or enemies they make along the way. As Jason Brody, players will slash, sneak, detonate and shoot their way across the island in a world that has lost all sense of right and wrong.

All editions of Far Cry 3 are now available for purchase on the Uplay Shop, at retail outlets throughout North America, and is also available digitally on the Sony PlayStation®Network.

As with every Uplay enabled game, players on all platforms will be able to earn Uplay Units by completing actions in-game and redeem exclusive rewards with those Units. For the complete list of Far Cry 3 Uplay rewards, please visit: http://www.uplay.com

Far Cry 3 is also the first game to use the new Uplay PC Party System. With the Party System, Windows PC players can create a party by inviting their Uplay friends to team up to take on any multiplayer challenge. With the integrated Uplay Friends interface, they can also find new friends and communicate in-game during the multiplayer session.

In January 2013, the Far Cry 3: High Tides downloadable co-op pack will be made available for free on the Sony PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. This exclusive DLC will contain two new story chapters with four to five missions each and four character skins.

The co-op story is far from over. Hoyt's privateers have ambushed the four survivors and taken them hostage. It's up to you and your friends to escape and underground prison and find a way off this island of insanity.

Far beyond the limits of civilization lies an island, a lawless place ruled by violence and human suffering, where your only escape is through drugs or the muzzle of a gun. This is where you find yourself, stranded in a place that has forgotten right from wrong, a place where you must live by the principles of violence to survive.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

31. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 10:48 Verno

I really dislike open world games without some depth of field though. I've stood on mountain tops and cliffs before, the videogame presentation of being able to see detail for miles is a bit absurd. It looks cool but it breaks my personal suspension of disbelief, Skyrim without DOF looks absolutely comical for example. Just my personal beef, I'm sure other people like it though  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 10:30 avianflu

so you guys are installing UPlay?! Really? Really?

29. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 10:25 RollinThundr

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 01:42:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:47:
Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:13:
Far Cry was one of my all time favorites. Far Cry 2 was shit. This is shit.

this game is way, WAY better than far cry 1... also it doesnt have stupid ass mutants

Mmm, you signed up here when? And only made 4 comments, all about how awesome Far Cry 3 is. Paid to promote much?

Whether he's a shill or not, he isn't wrong, FC1 sucks compared to this.

28. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 09:40 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:16:
I really, really, really wish game devs would get off their retarded "OMG DEPTH OF FIELD IS TEH SHITZZZ!" kick. It looks terrible and it actually negatively affects performance. WTF, devs?
Bordlerands 2 did the same thing, though it at least included an option to disable it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 09:16 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 02:16:
just over an hour into it, better than I thought it would be performance wise, FOV slider in game - amazing!

depth of field turned off looks better, but you have to edit a config file to do it.

Turn off DOF

also turned off ambient occlusion completely, didn't care for the dark halo around everything.

too many notifications and all of the objects you find have a rather generic graphic for it in your inventory. I guess they didn't want to spend time drawing sea shells and sunglasses.

*bookmarked* Thanks!!

I really, really, really wish game devs would get off their retarded "OMG DEPTH OF FIELD IS TEH SHITZZZ!" kick. It looks terrible and it actually negatively affects performance. WTF, devs?

Creston

26. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 09:13 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:07:
I was a fan of FC1 and I believe I was one of the 12 people that actually liked FC2 so to get FC3 was a no-brainer. I've got atleast 6 hours in the game and haven't played but probably 2 main missions and am having a BLAST! I have a poo-poo system and it still seems quite lovely. A nice example is this short retard adventure by yours truly:

I'm driving flat out in a local beater, coming around a corner and there is a fellow 'brother warrior' standing on a bridge... I hit the handbrake to try to miss him but CLEANLY wipe him off the bridge with the back of the car...also as I fly through the wood railing of the bridge and fall into a gulley...upside down. I get out and look at my upside down car as I hear growling behind me....it's a VERY unhappy pack of rabid dogs...Yep they attack, we fight, I kill, VICTORY! Then I realize you can push your car over; do so and jump back in. I gun it up the side of the gully, becoming slightly airbourne as I hear the thunk of something hitting my car....I nailed a pig making my gully exit. I hear the whine of the pig as it lands on the hood of my car and glitches there for a few seconds as I continue down the road. I would like to imagine the local people calling me an "asshole" in they're native tongue as they watch the spectacle from the side of the road... As the pig flies off the hood I look over at the little hula bobble on the dash bouncing around and smile to myself....THIS is MY kind of GAMING!

I was hoping the "thunk" as you drove out of the gully was your brother warrior having finished his parabolic arc and dropping in the back of your car.

Creston

25. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 09:09 Creston

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 21:27:
one thing that is REALLY stupid is how awesomely real the fire looks, but how it doesnt even burn the grass or trees down, or even remove the leaves or anything.. it just turns the texture black and smoldering, and gives off sparks... thats pretty lame, but oh well

If they did it the other way, they'd have to either swap textures out on the fly (which is going to look bad no matter what), or they'd need actually fire-destructable terrain, which would eat so many resources the game would run like a dog.

I think, sadly, that this currently is about what we can expect to see in games that use fire like Far Cry does.

Creston

24. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:20 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 02:11:
I like the game aspects, but the crafting is damn annoying. I suppose it was their way to force players to interact with the animals, but I'd much rather just be able to buy upgrades rather than have to craft them. Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the game at all.
It gets you to explore, which isn't a bad thing. Certainly I can't see such a system making it into any sequel but I think it's alright - it gives you something more to do, which was something Far Cry 2 was severely lacking.

I really love the antenna gameplay mechanic, as that really encourages exploring. The outpost system is also pretty cool, especially the way you get somewhere to quick travel and you then have friendly troops driving around the area. The side-missions - like killing people or animals - are a waste of time and could have been handled better.

I think Far Cry 3 is a great game. It's certainly not without its issues but I think when you look at it as a whole it's a very strong game, easily a contender for game of the year. Certainly it's a lot stronger than Far Cry 2, although I did very much like that game (even though some elements were poorly done). I'll have to complete the game and try out co-op before deciding whether I like it better than Borderlands 2 or Dishonored but it's definitely a step forward for the genre.

PS - With games like this I'm really intrigued as to what Valve is going to do with Half-Life 3, as open world elements are becoming pretty important to singleplayer FPS games.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 08:19 Shataan

"Far Cry was one of my all time favorites. Far Cry 2 was shit."

I agree with this... but FarCry 3 is NOT shit. It is a cool game marred by a lamer clunky non intuitive RPGlike inventory system. Like another has stated, this really doesn`t add to the game, for me it takes away from the immersive ingame experience.

22. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 02:16 DangerDog

just over an hour into it, better than I thought it would be performance wise, FOV slider in game - amazing!

depth of field turned off looks better, but you have to edit a config file to do it.

Turn off DOF

also turned off ambient occlusion completely, didn't care for the dark halo around everything.

too many notifications and all of the objects you find have a rather generic graphic for it in your inventory. I guess they didn't want to spend time drawing sea shells and sunglasses.

21. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 02:11 Bhruic

I like the game aspects, but the crafting is damn annoying. I suppose it was their way to force players to interact with the animals, but I'd much rather just be able to buy upgrades rather than have to craft them. Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the game at all.

With that said, the rest of the game is quite good, although I haven't got very far in. Not sure I buy the main character, but I'm willing to give it a little leeway.

20. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 02:07 jacobvandy

Lol, yes, everyone who doesn't hate Far Cry 2 and 3 like you do are paid spokesmen. Rolleyes I wish!  

19. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 01:42 Agent.X7

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:47:

this game is way, WAY better than far cry 1... also it doesnt have stupid ass mutants

Mmm, you signed up here when? And only made 4 comments, all about how awesome Far Cry 3 is. Paid to promote much?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 01:34 spindoctor

wrlwnd wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 21:55:
Well, I was really looking forward to this.

But short story = bargain bin for me.

I'll pick it up when it hits the $15 mark.

Uh, it doesn't have a short story. The main 'quest' has 38 missions, out of which a few are just to go somewhere and talk to people, but it's still plenty long and fun. At least twice as long as shooters these days. And that's before you get to the real star of the show, which is free roaming the open world where there's tons of stuff to see and do. I've put in about 35 hours into the game so far and I expect it to last another 5-8 hours at least. And then there's the (not bad) co-op and the (pretty bad) multiplayer. Do you get 40 hour shooters these days?

The game is fantastic and in no sense of the word is it 'short'.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

17. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 5, 2012, 00:37 Linksil

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:40:
LazyCat wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:35:
Horribly buggy, about what you would expect from ubisoft.
Second mission in, you cant even get out of the jeep. You are just stuck there.

Press "E".

You can't just press E because he most likely rebound the keys from a WASD to the superior ESDF or something else. I love how I rebind all the keys and then when I get in a glider it goes back to the default instead of the bound vech controls. Yea for only being able to turn right. Other then rebinding I don't see anything wrong with the port.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

16. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:58 Jerykk

Really wish the side-missions weren't so half-assed. That's my biggest complaint with the game.  

15. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:47 Orphic Resonance

14. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:40 Fibrocyte

LazyCat wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:35:
Horribly buggy, about what you would expect from ubisoft.
Second mission in, you cant even get out of the jeep. You are just stuck there.

Press "E".

13. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:13 Agent.X7

Shitty. Console. Port.

I'm glad I got it free with an SSD so I don't have to feel bad about how shit it is.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 23:07 SlimRam

I was a fan of FC1 and I believe I was one of the 12 people that actually liked FC2 so to get FC3 was a no-brainer. I've got atleast 6 hours in the game and haven't played but probably 2 main missions and am having a BLAST! I have a poo-poo system and it still seems quite lovely. A nice example is this short retard adventure by yours truly:

I'm driving flat out in a local beater, coming around a corner and there is a fellow 'brother warrior' standing on a bridge... I hit the handbrake to try to miss him but CLEANLY wipe him off the bridge with the back of the car...also as I fly through the wood railing of the bridge and fall into a gulley...upside down. I get out and look at my upside down car as I hear growling behind me....it's a VERY unhappy pack of rabid dogs...Yep they attack, we fight, I kill, VICTORY! Then I realize you can push your car over; do so and jump back in. I gun it up the side of the gully, becoming slightly airbourne as I hear the thunk of something hitting my car....I nailed a pig making my gully exit. I hear the whine of the pig as it lands on the hood of my car and glitches there for a few seconds as I continue down the road. I would like to imagine the local people calling me an "asshole" in they're native tongue as they watch the spectacle from the side of the road... As the pig flies off the hood I look over at the little hula bobble on the dash bouncing around and smile to myself....THIS is MY kind of GAMING!

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

Han Solo: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...

Luke: No. If ANYONE is nailing my sister, it's going to be ME!

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo