Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Reference Drivers

NVIDIA now offers new version 310.70 GeForce reference drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards. These include previously realized performance enhancements for Far Cry 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and Assassin's Creed III. Thanks MajorD.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

22. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:33 dj LiTh

All the 310* drivers has been pure shit, and these are no exception. In SLI mode /w XCOM there are no cover shields for objects, also there are missing menu's in the research/engineering parts as well. Also in another Firaxis game Civ5, there are random crashes /w SLI, only disabling SLI fixes these issues. This has been going on for all the 310.* releases with nvidia ignoring and deleting my posts about them in their forums.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:25 Respen

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:14:
Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Sonofab*tch. There goes my next day off.

Just do a system restore to yesterday.

Creston

Right with you, just finished a reboot and testing now.

20. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:21 PHJF

Nvidia drivers no longer require a reboot after install? Holy Progress Movement, Batman!

Wasn't this something Win7 did? Like in the same way video drivers dicking out no longer BSODs?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:19 Creston

Just installed it over the top of my old driver, worked fine on Win7/64.

Nvidia drivers no longer require a reboot after install? Holy Progress Movement, Batman!

Creston

18. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:14 Creston

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:08:
Well, thanks for the heads up eRe4s3r. You were right, something must be wrong with my installer. Most items failed or partially installed, including PhysX now.

Just do a system restore to yesterday.

Creston

17. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:13 Mordecai Walfish

From the release notes *Known Issues* section:

[PhysX]: After installing the driver, occasionally the PhysX processor selection in the NVIDIA Control Panel is set to CPU instead of AutoSelect (Recommended), resulting in PhysX games running slowly. [1049752]

This is listed for Windows 7/8 32&64-bit, for single-card setups. After the update make sure that physX is set to "Auto Select (Recommended)" in the Control Panel.

16. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:10 fawker

windows 8 x64 here

it failed the first time (including some error message about something already in use)

worked the second time

15. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:08 Respen

14. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:01 Respen

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:50:
It's a rare but common enough problem, only solution? Reinstall the OS.. I am not joking on that. No driver will ever install for you these 3 items if they failed once. I had the same issue on Vista and since I upgraded to W7 it's gone. So maybe it's an OS related issue with the drivers, but all r300 drivers from nvidia did that for me.

Congrats, you've got me freaking out lol, especially because during the first install I did get a crash. I just tried a manual uninstall of everything, followed by a reinstall of the drivers without moving the unpacking directory off of my SSD. Same error. I have a lot of time invested into this Windows install and really don't want to reformat. Trying an older version now to see if it'll install correctly... here's hoping you are wrong.

13. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:50 eRe4s3r

It's a rare but common enough problem, only solution? Reinstall the OS.. I am not joking on that. No driver will ever install for you these 3 items if they failed once. I had the same issue on Vista and since I upgraded to W7 it's gone. So maybe it's an OS related issue with the drivers, but all r300 drivers from nvidia did that for me.  

12. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:48 jacobvandy

It's not partially installed, each item has its own installer and identity on the Add/Remove Programs list. They just wrap it all up with one big master installer to streamline the process. Just suppress that OCD. :p  

11. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:46 RollinThundr

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:31:
Just a heads up, this install failed for me on Windows 8 64 bit with a 680 GTX.

I've tried downloading and installing twice, in both cases the installer failed to install Nvidia Update, 3D vision and HD Audio drivers.

Also of note, when manually looking for the drivers doing a search with Windos 8 specified on NVidia's website reveals no new drivers. However, these drivers do say they are valid for Windows 8 64 bit.

Annoyed.

Try a clean install just the card and PhysX drivers, no 3d vision or HD audio options.

10. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:46:
Couple of reboots, no luck! Haven't had trouble with a video card driver for probably a decade.... guess I was due.
Last two or three series of drivers for nvidia have been flaky with the installer. Where they won't work if there's any hint of an older driver left. Ran across the same problem on 7x64, and I had to remove every previous version of the drivers before the first set of 3xx's would install.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:31 Creston

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:46:
Couple of reboots, no luck! Haven't had trouble with a video card driver for probably a decade.... guess I was due.

Once you switched to Windows 8, yeah, you were kinda due.

Creston

8. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:30 Mordecai Walfish

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:23:
True, I don't use anything but graphics and physx. I just don't like partially installed software/drivers on my pc. Like I said, annoyed.

Have you tried uninstalling the old drivers/physX completely, then rebooting and installing the newer ones? Also, if bandwidth is not an issue, try re-downloading the package again just to be sure you didn't get some kind of corruption in your download.

EDIT: just re-read your post.. and if it's only 3d vision, the hd audio drivers and nvidia update.. you'll be fine.. unless you do 3d gaming or use the HDMI output on your card for audio. As others have said: Update is pretty much useless (except for it's ability to update to newer control panel game profiles without a complete driver update)

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:23:
True, I don't use anything but graphics and physx. I just don't like partially installed software/drivers on my pc. Like I said, annoyed.

Do the complete uninstall and then when you reboot, use the custom install option in the drivers to only install the base graphics driver and physX. If you find you want to add any of the other stuff like 3d vision or hdmi audio, you can use the installer to install only those portions, and perhaps they will work. Either way, you won't have "partial drivers", you'll just have the drivers that you *need*.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 14:37.

7. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:23 Respen

6. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 14:12 jacobvandy

Well, you really don't need that stuff anyway, unless maybe you're hooking up a TV via HDMI and need the audio output from the GPU. If you're getting the graphics driver and PhysX driver, you're good to go. NVIDIA Update is a piece of crap, it doesn't actually update you, just checks for new drivers posted and links you to the website...  

5. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:46 Respen

4. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:40 John

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:31:
I've tried downloading and installing twice, in both cases the installer failed to install Nvidia Update, 3D vision and HD Audio drivers.
Did you try rebooting your computer while doing a head stand? That works for me sometimes..

This space is available for rent

3. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 13:31 Respen

Just a heads up, this install failed for me on Windows 8 64 bit with a 680 GTX.

Also of note, when manually looking for the drivers doing a search with Windos 8 specified on NVidia's website reveals no new drivers. However, these drivers do say they are valid for Windows 8 64 bit.

Annoyed.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo