Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Reference Drivers

NVIDIA now offers new version 310.70 GeForce reference drivers for NVIDIA graphics cards. These include previously realized performance enhancements for Far Cry 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and Assassin's Creed III. Thanks MajorD.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

42. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:48 Mordecai Walfish

Elvis wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 17:31:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:05:
These are full WHQL

Actually these are WHQL candidate drivers.

Interesting that they came through on the non-beta channel for me.. I thought only WHQL drivers did that.

Optional Nickname! wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:43:
Interestingly, the Negative LOD Bias Clamp feature (for >= Fermi boards) has been removed in this release.

Welcome back, texture crawl. Yuck.

I saw that too.. I would be interested to know why they did this on Fermi+ geforce cards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:43 Muscular Beaver

I just wanted to install them, then I read this:

Release 310 drivers introduce power-optimizing enhancements. As a result of these
enhancements, you may notice that GPU core clock speeds are different with this driver.
For example, the GPU core clock might be faster when the GPU is in idle mode than in
previous drivers. Or you may notice higher GPU core clock speeds after closing or
opening certain games than in previous drivers.
This is because the reported GPU core clock frequency is no longer correlated to GPU
power-saving states. Instead of lowering the GPU core clock frequency, the hardware and
software use other methods to put the GPU into a low power state when the GPU is idle
or in response to changing application requirements. This ensures optimum power use
while continuing to provide high graphics performance.

Anyone tried it yet what that means exactly? More or less power usage?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

40. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:33 jdreyer

Thanks Jacob. So, I should try normal install, and that failing, uninstall everything and install manually (Soulburner's rec)?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:31 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 17:21:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:12:
Well, you really don't need that stuff anyway, unless maybe you're hooking up a TV via HDMI and need the audio output from the GPU. If you're getting the graphics driver and PhysX driver, you're good to go. NVIDIA Update is a piece of crap, it doesn't actually update you, just checks for new drivers posted and links you to the website...

Sound over HDMI is exactly what I need. Hopefully there's a fix.

Well, the fix is below (manual install), if you do happen to run into this issue. Many people don't.

38. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:31 Elvis

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:05:
These are full WHQL

Actually these are WHQL candidate drivers.

37. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:21 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:12:
Well, you really don't need that stuff anyway, unless maybe you're hooking up a TV via HDMI and need the audio output from the GPU. If you're getting the graphics driver and PhysX driver, you're good to go. NVIDIA Update is a piece of crap, it doesn't actually update you, just checks for new drivers posted and links you to the website...

Sound over HDMI is exactly what I need. Hopefully there's a fix.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 17:14 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 14:50:
It's a rare but common enough problem, only solution? Reinstall the OS.. I am not joking on that.
There's solutions posted earlier in the thread, but I'm just going to say it's overkill. The only time you should need to nuke an OS install from orbit is when it's so screwed up, that you can't fix it. This though, is fixable with enough patience.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

35. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:54 theyarecomingforyou

Installed them straight over the last beta driver and - as always - it worked without issue. I'm on Windows 8 64bit here. The last issue I had with graphics drivers was installing a beta Windows 7 driver onto the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, so that wasn't surprising in the least!  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

34. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:44 nin

If you don't use the HD Audio driver, the updater, or 3D do an advanced install and deselect those options.

I've pretty much always done that anyway, so I'm not sure I would have seen this problem to begin with.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:41 PropheT

Don't really need DriverSweeper anymore, and I've never liked the problems it tends to create anyway.

Just uninstall the Nvidia software via your control panel, reboot, run the driver install package and click the box for clean install.

If you don't use the HD Audio driver, the updater, or 3D do an advanced install and deselect those options. There's no reason to have them there if you don't use them.

The Physx install will always not work if there's a current version already on the system, although the message should indicate that.

32. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:36 eRe4s3r

Can confirm this working on my ol vista machine.. wow.. I never, ever, figured that out....  

31. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:02 Soulburner

To anyone that has problems with the installer failing - you have to:
1. uninstall the current drivers and reboot
2. extract the drivers installer with Winrar or 7zip
3. open Device Manager and find your graphics card. Double click it and select the "update driver" button, then point it to the extracted files
4. The system will install the driver only - reboot just in case
5. NOW, run the installer normally. It will complete without failing.

It's weird. Earlier, I've tried only uninstalling the drivers and running DriverSweeper, but that did not help.

30. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:59 eRe4s3r

You can still set it via the nvidia inspector .. although it's a 3rd party download  

29. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:54 nin

Also check the event log. That's what it's there for.

28. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:50 Creston

Respen wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:34:
Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:14:

Just do a system restore to yesterday.

Creston

System restore didn't help, having the same issue. I'm just going to cut my losses and reinstall windows tomorrow. Thanks for the help all, sorry for the hijack... please feel free to discuss how $*#@ing awesome this driver is.

Have you tried driver cleaner yet? Once you can get rid of the offending piece of crap that's blocking the install, I'm fairly sure the driver will install normally.

Failing that, you could just scour the registry and manually remove anything and everything called Nvidia (heck, the worst you can do is force you to have to reinstall, which you're already going to do anyway.)

Don't give up yet.

Creston

27. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:50 Fugazi

Windows 8 64bit here. Express install went without a hitch...thankfully.

GTX670 for GFX; GTX470 for PhysX

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

26. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:46 nin

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:34:

Creston

System restore didn't help, having the same issue. I'm just going to cut my losses and reinstall windows tomorrow. Thanks for the help all, sorry for the hijack... please feel free to discuss how $*#@ing awesome this driver is.

If i were you i'd just extract the drivers from the .exe and update them manually.

Seriously. A reload is pretty extreme.

25. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:43 Optional Nickname!

Interestingly, the Negative LOD Bias Clamp feature (for >= Fermi boards) has been removed in this release.

Welcome back, texture crawl. Yuck.

24. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:34 dj LiTh

Creston

If i were you i'd just extract the drivers from the .exe and update them manually.

23. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 15:34 Respen

Creston

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo