Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements

The Kickstarter for Star Citizen has some updated answers to frequently asked questions about Cloud Imperium's upcoming space simulation (thanks nin). The Star Citizen FAQ on the Roberts Space Industries Website has also been updated with these new FAQs, which cover things like their gameplay, their business model, and more. Here's word on system requirements:

There will be a lot of optimization in the next 24-months, plus the usual fast pace of technology, so it is hard to say absolutely. At the moment you will be able to play it on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4GB of system memory. If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit! Since the game is built on CryEngine, their system requirements will stay roughly the same as ours.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 5, 2012, 10:21 dj LiTh

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:56:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:53:
You have that backwards, larger memory addressing = less 'thrashing' as you put it.

Only if you actually need the memory. Otherwise you're using memory that other things could use, thus when you activate other applications they aren't already in memory, thus it hits pagefile. Thrashing. This is due to the Windows 7 algorithm for caching, as it treats a 64-bit .exe in a different way (ASLR etc.) that ultimately increases the likelihood versus 32-bit if the memory is not actually needed/used.

Again you have that backwards. The pagefile is hit if you have a LOW amount of ram that is MAXED out and then it hits the pagefile. If you have 8gb of ram your page file will be accessed very little. The best practice if you have 8gb + of ram is actually to remove the pagefile entirely. Also when you say something like
Only if you actually need the memory. Otherwise you're using memory that other things could use
That makes no sense. If you dont have something loaded into memory, its not loaded into your memory (or pagefile). See how that works?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 5, 2012, 08:47 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 13:19:
And yes it is soon. They shouldn't have bothered until it got a little more optimized. They are more likely to scare away people at this point.
It's important to note that they have a different relationship to the consumer than most developers. For starters, they have already pulled in a huge amount of money and people are already committed to the project regardless of how it turns out. They also have a duty to inform their backers more like they would a proper publisher, which includes showing media much earlier than they normally would and giving approximate specs early on. I see such openness with the community as a very GOOD thing and it highlights the strengths of the PC community.

RAM is incredibly cheap, so that's not going to be an issue for upgrades. The GPU is more demanding than average but it's not an absolute minimum and it will be pretty cheap to get a powerful enough GPU at release.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 5, 2012, 03:29 InBlack

Man the CryEngine sucks major balls (performance wise) even though it looks pretty good....

Mechwarrior Online is 8v8 matches on smallish maps and it runs like ass on most systems...

How the fuck is this supposed to handle whole star systems full of ships going pew pew?...

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 22:10 Sepharo

I funded this game precisely because it was a PC game not being optimized for consoles.
Crank them requirements up!

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 19:16 Wildone

LOL ppl whining about this. Look you got 2 options..pony up for a decent video card to support your hobby/enjoyment of this game, OR GET A FUCKING XBOX!

Choice is yours!

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 18:50 HorrorScope

A 460 is too steep?  

13. removed Dec 4, 2012, 18:40 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 4, 2012, 18:51.

12. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 15:56 NewMaxx

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:53:
You have that backwards, larger memory addressing = less 'thrashing' as you put it.

Only if you actually need the memory. Otherwise you're using memory that other things could use, thus when you activate other applications they aren't already in memory, thus it hits pagefile. Thrashing. This is due to the Windows 7 algorithm for caching, as it treats a 64-bit .exe in a different way (ASLR etc.) that ultimately increases the likelihood versus 32-bit if the memory is not actually needed/used.

11. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 15:53 dj LiTh

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 15:37:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 11:07:
4GB minimum on the ram, yet i'm willing to bet its a 32bit exe file.

Most likely. Although you have to keep in mind that Windows 7 takes 1 GB right off the top and then your video memory is virtually addressed, and even the minimum card is likely to be 1 GB, so right there's that's 2 GB reserved meaning the 2 GB that's left is easily managed with a 32-bit executable. In fact, it's likely to be better that way, as addressing more memory than you need only leads to thrashing (if mechanical) or excess writes (SSD) when the Windows algorithm interprets it as being a 64-bit process. Although I recall some games (GTA4 comes to mind) do perform better with 64-bit, however I feel that's largely due to poor optimization rather than any inherent advantages.

10. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 15:37 NewMaxx

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 11:07:

Most likely. Although you have to keep in mind that Windows 7 takes 1 GB right off the top and then your video memory is virtually addressed, and even the minimum card is likely to be 1 GB, so right there's that's 2 GB reserved meaning the 2 GB that's left is easily managed with a 32-bit executable. In fact, it's likely to be better that way, as addressing more memory than you need only leads to thrashing (if mechanical) or excess writes (SSD) when the Windows algorithm interprets it as being a 64-bit process. Although I recall some games (GTA4 comes to mind) do perform better with 64-bit, however I feel that's largely due to poor optimization rather than any inherent advantages.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 15:42.

9. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 15:02 1badmf

Fantaz wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:39:
GTX 460 or greater with 4GB as the minimum? Those are some pretty steep sys requirements...
he never said that was minimum. he said that was playable, which is usually about middle of the road. also, 4GB is old hat for the target audience. i've had at least that much for probably 5 years, and a gtx460 is two generations old now.

to be clear, this isn't a game for HP or compaq (are they even around anymore?) users. this is a throwback to the golden days of PC gaming when a new AAA title required top end hardware to run at max settings, and i'm fine with that. i think it's a good thing that pc games blow consoles out of the water, or else what do i have all this horsepower for?

i think a lot of new players are going to be put off by the newtonian physics - very confusing to fly in unless you have significant experience with it like I do (playing iwar2), but i don't think many of the backers played those games. it's hard to get your mindset out of the topgun/xwing mode of fly-straight-and-turn piloting. the first time they're on my tail, and i just rotate around while spiral strafing and own them while flying backwards, that's probably gonna cause more than a few flaming 'nerf newton!' forum posts.

8. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 14:18 eRe4s3r

Well in this case it's not his fault, if you license an engine, you gotta run what the libraries need. And you wouldn't believe how many BASIC engine libraries require 32bit...  

7. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 14:14 jacobvandy

Also keep in mind, in two years when the game is out... The GTX 460 will be old as shit! Pretty much like the 8800 GT is now, the usual minimum.  

6. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 13:59 BadIronTree

CRYENGINE 3 FULL DX 11... not the XBOX/PS Version...  

5. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 13:19 Dev

McSterls wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 11:51:
Kind of soon for system requirements to be released. Two years off, how do they know?
Probably its their dev machine requirements to run their builds.

And yes it is soon. They shouldn't have bothered until it got a little more optimized. They are more likely to scare away people at this point.

4. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 11:51 McSterls

Kind of soon for system requirements to be released. Two years off, how do they know?

3. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 11:07 dj LiTh

2. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Fantaz wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:39:
GTX 460 or greater with 4GB as the minimum? Those are some pretty steep sys requirements...
Not for a game that's two years away.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. Re: Star Citizen FAQ; System Requirements Dec 4, 2012, 10:39 Fantaz

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo