Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Big Picture Mode Launches

Steam News Announces the new Big Picture mode is now available, permitting easier access to Steam games on televisions. They kick this off with a celebration sale where you can "save big on Steam's controller-friendliest games." Here's word:

Access to the complete Steam store is included, as is the Steam Community. Big Picture is available worldwide in over twenty languages, including German, French, Russian, Korean, and Portuguese.

Gamers’ existing games are all available in Big Picture. In addition to having the complete library of Steam games, each user's cloud files, Steam Workshop content, account information and preferences will be accessible automatically in the new mode.

Steam gamers may easily experience Big Picture on their televisions by connecting their PC or Mac, typically with a single HDMI cable. Big Picture also includes a new web browser designed for televisions and game controllers. It is accessible from anywhere within the Big Picture UI, and even while playing Steam games on a TV. It supports Big Picture's new method of typing with a gamepad, which is useful for entering URLs, filling out forms, chatting, and other functions.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:48 jdreyer

So, yeah, that's the last thing my bank account needed was ANOTHER sale in between the Autumn and Winter Sales.

I'll die poor, but I guess I'll die happy.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:38 necrosis

Woo! They made what most likely equates to a different CSS file for the UI.  

10. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:22 ^Drag0n^

DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:
How do I turn off the ugly as fuck giant button on my Steam UI

press the [X] button in the upper right corner.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:04 Dades

DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:

Wondering the same thing, why can't Steam follow any sort of standard GUI conventions?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

8. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:00 DDI

7. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:55 sdgundamx

Okay, now I get it.

I never navigated Steam through the TV... just used my laptop to set everything up and then plugged in the HDMI. But yeah, if you'd rather do all that from the couch or you're hooking up to the TV with something other than a laptop which doesn't have an already attached monitor (as it shows in their promo) I can see why you'd want a smoother interface.

Thanks for explaining it.

6. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:40 jacobvandy

Yeah, there's no way anyone could honestly say that Steam looked good on a 50" HDTV from 10-15 feet away before... This is basically their version of Windows Media Center, but for cool shit. There have apparently been updates to some games that allow for more streamlined installation, too, so you don't even need a mouse to click through the initial setup or whatever.  

5. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:32 nin

It's pretty slick, actually, from the quick look I took at it.

Yeah, I kinda like it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:24 PropheT

sdgundamx wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:20:
Wait, I'm confused... Can someone explain this to me?

I was already hooking up my laptop to my HDTV with an HDMI cable and playing Steam games like Batman Arkham Asylum--with *gasp* a wireless controller. I'm not getting what the need for Big Picture is...

It gives a more TV friendly interface for doing that, one that's a lot easier to control with more TV or console standard devices. It's pretty slick, actually, from the quick look I took at it.

3. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:20 sdgundamx

Wait, I'm confused... Can someone explain this to me?

I was already hooking up my laptop to my HDTV with an HDMI cable and playing Steam games like Batman Arkham Asylum--with *gasp* a wireless controller. I'm not getting what the need for Big Picture is...

2. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:13 MajorD

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:09:
1st

DAMN IT!!!

1. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:09 CJ_Parker

1st  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer