Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Big Picture Mode Launches

Steam News Announces the new Big Picture mode is now available, permitting easier access to Steam games on televisions. They kick this off with a celebration sale where you can "save big on Steam's controller-friendliest games." Here's word:

Access to the complete Steam store is included, as is the Steam Community. Big Picture is available worldwide in over twenty languages, including German, French, Russian, Korean, and Portuguese.

Gamers’ existing games are all available in Big Picture. In addition to having the complete library of Steam games, each user's cloud files, Steam Workshop content, account information and preferences will be accessible automatically in the new mode.

Steam gamers may easily experience Big Picture on their televisions by connecting their PC or Mac, typically with a single HDMI cable. Big Picture also includes a new web browser designed for televisions and game controllers. It is accessible from anywhere within the Big Picture UI, and even while playing Steam games on a TV. It supports Big Picture's new method of typing with a gamepad, which is useful for entering URLs, filling out forms, chatting, and other functions.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 08:42 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 05:37:
The biggest issue with Big Picture mode is that it does nothing to help with multi-monitor setups.

That's not really an issue in general, just a niche issue pertaining to you as that's not what the feature is aimed at. You could easily script your problem away by using displayswitch.exe. What you're asking for to be automated is almost impossible due to how games having direct access to display controls and how Windows identifies displays, the EDID problems alone with receivers would likely be insurmountable.

The idea is that you can get a nettop, HTPC or laptop and be able to play some of your stuff from Steam on the big screen. How many people would want to actually do this is anyones guess but the console market is pretty big and PC gamers needed a bridge to the TV, the interface was always a big question mark.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 08:40 dj LiTh

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 05:37:
The biggest issue with Big Picture mode is that it does nothing to help with multi-monitor setups. I have a 42" HDTV hooked up as a secondary monitor but it's too much effort changing the default monitor, then changing the in-game resolution and changing over my default sound system to HDMI. What's needed is for Big Picture mode to run on whichever screen it is launched from and make all games run on that screen - as it is even if you launch Big Picture mode from a secondary display it will launch on the primary display.

Big Picture mode is a nice idea but it's useless for me, and that's despite having a wireless X360 controller and a HDTV connected to my computer. It really is niche functionality, which is obviously just to test the interface for their upcoming hardware / console.

May i suggest a macro program with a nice simple kb shortcut. Thats pretty much my friends setup, and he was going crazy having to switch back and forth his primary monitor all the time for certain things. Now he just uses a macro program and it switches in about 2s.

30. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 05:37 theyarecomingforyou

The biggest issue with Big Picture mode is that it does nothing to help with multi-monitor setups. I have a 42" HDTV hooked up as a secondary monitor but it's too much effort changing the default monitor, then changing the in-game resolution and changing over my default sound system to HDMI. What's needed is for Big Picture mode to run on whichever screen it is launched from and make all games run on that screen - as it is even if you launch Big Picture mode from a secondary display it will launch on the primary display.

Big Picture mode is a nice idea but it's useless for me, and that's despite having a wireless X360 controller and a HDTV connected to my computer. It really is niche functionality, which is obviously just to test the interface for their upcoming hardware / console.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

29. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 02:21 jimnms

^Drag0n^ wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:22:
DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:
How do I turn off the ugly as fuck giant button on my Steam UI

press the [X] button in the upper right corner.

That doesn't get rid of the button.

Steam Profile

28. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 02:16 netnerd85

Sepharo wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:26:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:06:
necrosis wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:01:
Here is the problem with this.

There are no settings in games for 'gamepad only' players as far as I know. So anyone using a controller is going to be at a serious disadvantage in MP games.

If I remember, most FPS MP games tend to give controller players a basic autoaim to help against mouse/keyboard players.

There's 1... Maybe 2 of those games.
There should be ZERO.

I love my 360 controller, for hack and slash games and some others that are poor console ports (looking at you Dark Souls).

FPS? get a mouse! EOS. May I suggest a logitech mx 518.

27. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 02:01 netnerd85

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 00:12:
I've got to hand it to these guys, they're getting ahead of the game. In 2 to 3 years, you won't even need a pc or console, the tv will be poweful enough and they'll already have games in the right format.
LMAO. No.

26. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 01:22 Cutter

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 00:12:
I've got to hand it to these guys, they're getting ahead of the game. In 2 to 3 years, you won't even need a pc or console, the tv will be poweful enough and they'll already have games in the right format.

Yeah, but never forget people use their PCs for work, home entertainment, etc.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 00:46 Jivaro

Regarding having to use kb/mouse to start computer: I would enable the "allow this device to wake up my computer" feature for my gamepad and simply use sleep mode instead of power off/on. That would further minimize mouse/kb use.

It is a nice feature to be able to have available and could possibly cause me to buy some titles for the PC that I would have bought for a console without it. The Batman titles or the Lego games come to mind as examples of games that I would have bought for the PC instead of the PS3 had this feature existed. I have a nice bluetooth kb/mouse setup that I can comfortably use with a cushioned lap desk, but if I don't have to get them out to play a game I am going to use a gamepad with, that makes things that much more convenient. Guess I will get the "old" gaming rig back out and set it up on the TV again to give this a whirl. I think I already own enough "gamepad-friendly" PC games to make it worth trying.

Besides, I think the "big picture" part of the features set is a bigger deal (no pun intended) than the "gamepad friendly" part. Curious to see/use that, regardless of input device.

24. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 00:12 Steele Johnson

23. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 4, 2012, 00:04 sdgundamx

LazyCat wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 23:06:
Bit buggy with multiple monitors.
Compatibility mode- changing resolutions and graphics modes etc.

Could not find my gamepad. (its not an xbox controller)

Seems these days only a few indie titles can find a non xbox controller, all the mainstream big company developers suck.

I've been using an Xbox controller emulator for my gamepads. There are lots out there... can't remember off the top of my head which emulator I went with (I set it up a while ago and never thought about it again). Maybe someone else here can point you to a link.

22. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 23:48 necrosis

There are no settings in games for 'gamepad only' players as far as I know. So anyone using a controller is going to be at a serious disadvantage in MP games.

If I remember, most FPS MP games tend to give controller players a basic autoaim to help against mouse/keyboard players.
And those that do are trash. If in MP NO ONE should have auto aim. Period.

Crysis 2 anyone?

21. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 23:06 LazyCat

Bit buggy with multiple monitors.
Compatibility mode- changing resolutions and graphics modes etc.

Could not find my gamepad. (its not an xbox controller)

Seems these days only a few indie titles can find a non xbox controller, all the mainstream big company developers suck.

20. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:59 Cutter

durandal wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:34:
I don't really see the point of this.

First, you have to put PC next to TV, unless you have long HDMI cable.
You have go over there to push power button to start PC, unlike consoles, which you can start by pushing center button on your wireless controller.

Second, on Windows you have to start Steam first and then turn on Big Picture mode, which requires using mouse. even if your mouse is wireless, it's kinda annoying to use it without desk to put it. Moreover, if you have a wireless mouse, it's just easier to click on the shortcut and start up the game straight away, then use gamepad.

My PC is always on and next to my big screen LED TV because my PC is my home entertainment system, so no problem there. My PC is always on and Steam is usually always on as well so again, no problem there.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:58 TheEmissary

durandal wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:34:

You have go over there to push power button to start PC, unlike consoles, which you can start by pushing center button on your wireless controller.

Second, on Windows you have to start Steam first and then turn on Big Picture mode, which requires using mouse. even if your mouse is wireless, it's kinda annoying to use it without desk to put it. Moreover, if you have a wireless mouse, it's just easier to click on the shortcut and start up the game straight away, then use gamepad.

Go in to your Steam settings set it to start with windows and set it to automatically start big picture mode. Problem solved. Second there are wireless HDMI solutions instead of having to run a 20ft cable to your TV.

18. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:50 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:04:
DDI wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:00:
How do I turn off the ugly as fuck giant button on my Steam UI

Wondering the same thing, why can't Steam follow any sort of standard GUI conventions?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Because bloatware never has functional GUI's.

17. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:34 durandal

16. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:26 Sepharo

There's 1... Maybe 2 of those games.

15. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:06 Kitkoan

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

14. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 22:01 necrosis

13. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 21:50 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:48:
So, yeah, that's the last thing my bank account needed was ANOTHER sale in between the Autumn and Winter Sales.

I'll die poor, but I guess I'll die happy.

Sine Mora seems fun, so far. Even though I suck at bullet hell games.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo