Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 17:55 Julio

wtf_man wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 10:09:
The majority of Win 8's "features" was to add metro and integrate an app store, then ram them down your throat./shrug

Actually they're ramming those features somewhere else...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 17:53 Julio

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:22:
Verno wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 08:57:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 07:32:
Julio wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 06:11:
Why all the discussion about Win 9? Isn't Win 8 going to be a huge success for the next 5 years? I guess not

According to the sales numbers its already a bigger success than 7, like it or not.

Those aren't sales numbers per se, they are license numbers and there's a big difference between selling something at $15-40 per copy and $100+. Microsoft could coast on inertia for years anyway, numbers don't tell the whole story.

Indeed, but since they dont have any manufacturing costs anymore, no boxes, no cd's/dvd's etc there's probably near the same amount of profit. Also what matters and what has always mattered is dominating the market, having the biggest percentage of market.

Really? $60-85 to print a box & CD?

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 13:15 BobBob

Keyboard + Mouse > *

Once developers realize this all will be good.

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 10:23 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:57:
Rigs wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 04:21:
Seriously, Win7, to me, is the best of the best.

Leave metro out of it, isn't there some technical improvements with 8 over 7?

There are very very minor technical improvements, enough to warrant a $15-30 upgrade IMHO but nothing more than that. You also lose some things in the transition like Aero Glass, Win8's chrome look is decidely less useful and interesting to me.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 10:09 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:57:

It boots faster since it doesn't let you shut down (Forced Sleep or Hibernate, instead... you can fully shut down but it's a chore to get there.)
It has a fancier Task Manager
It has a ribbon interface for the file manager explorer (If you like that).
It runs in a smaller footprint than 7 (because of tablets).

That's about it. Whooptie-doo.

The majority of Win 8's "features" was to add metro and integrate an app store, then ram them down your throat.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 10:23.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 10:07 Creston

Why all the discussion about Win 9? Isn't Win 8 going to be a huge success for the next 5 years? I guess not

According to the sales numbers its already a bigger success than 7, like it or not.

It isn't. It's sold on-par with Win7 for the first month numbers wise, but revenue wise Win8 has been a fairly big letdown for MS. Sure, you can get tons of people to buy your upgrade copies for 30 bucks, but that doesn't really bring in much money.

Licensing has so far been a big, big failure.

Creston

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 10:05 Creston

Windows 9 only needs one feature: An actual OS designed for desktop, that doesn't continuously switch between where you want to be (desktop) and that fucking god-awful metro bullshit.

Failing that, the only other feature it needs is: Never be released.

Creston

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 4, 2012, 09:57 HorrorScope

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 09:56 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:22:
Indeed, but since they dont have any manufacturing costs anymore, no boxes, no cd's/dvd's etc there's probably near the same amount of profit. Also what matters and what has always mattered is dominating the market, having the biggest percentage of market.

Eh? There are still boxed copies of Windows dude and the difference in profit margin wouldn't be made up by that alone anyway. Their market share percentage doesn't matter, they own the PC market top to bottom as it is. They aren't worried about that, they are worried about conversion rates of Windows 7 users and market comparisons to smartphones/tablets/etc.

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 09:44 wtf_man

If you don't like the UI, maybe you shouldn't support MS at all with your money... then go fix their OS after you wasted the cash.

All you are doing is making them think they have good sales. Vote with your wallet, and maybe, just maybe Windows 9 will let you turn off the stuff you don't like.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 09:22 dj LiTh

Verno wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 08:57:

Those aren't sales numbers per se, they are license numbers and there's a big difference between selling something at $15-40 per copy and $100+. Microsoft could coast on inertia for years anyway, numbers don't tell the whole story.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 08:57 Verno

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 07:32 dj LiTh

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 06:11 Julio

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2012, 05:27 NegaDeath

Option for "classic" mode right off the bat. No schizophrenic fisher price UI's, no hiding things, no removing desktop features to save battery power on laptops. Your longtime customers want it, the business community wants it. And it doesn't stop you in any way in your goal to become Apple. Both camps are happy. Happy is good.

But what you're probably going to do is get rid of desktop mode entirely, limit the display to 256 colors to save on battery life and remove keyboard shortcuts in favor of verbal commands. Because keyboard shortcuts are "old and cheesy". And if anyone tries to get to command prompt you'll pop up an advertisement telling them to buy Surface.

Windows 7 Service Pack 2 would also work.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 Rigs

Here's an 'edgy' idea...go back to Windows7 and improve it! Seriously, Win7, to me, is the best of the best. It's everything Vista should have been and more. It's XP for 2012. And it deserves to be supported and built upon, instead of cut up and thrown out. Win7 wasn't an evolutionary dead-end. It's a real shame MS considers it so...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 23:13 TheEmissary

The only must have feature I want for Windows 9 is for Microsoft to remember the audience of the software. It looks good on paper to be a universal jack-of-all-trades but you end up not doing everything all that well. Currently Windows 8 feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be half the time, is it a tablet OS or is it a Desktop one. It would be nice to have a OS that was tailored to the workflow not necessarily what looks the nicest.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2012, 23:19.

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 3, 2012, 22:39 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 22:35:
$3 and you get the Start Menu back, just got my Win8 laptop today. Was painless and I can hotkey between Win7 UI and Metro. Not a big deal at all, in reality overblown for anyone with an ounce.

$3?!

Go get Classic Shell for free. Used it on my 7 machines for a few years now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 3, 2012, 22:35 HorrorScope

$3 and you get the Start Menu back, just got my Win8 laptop today. Was painless and I can hotkey between Win7 UI and Metro. Not a big deal at all, in reality overblown for anyone with an ounce.  

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 21:59 jdreyer

Wow, that's 10 things NOT including the start button. WTF, Microsoft?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo