Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following list of the 10 bestselling games for the past week on their Steam service:

1. Dishonored
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Torchlight II
  4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  5. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  6. The Witcher: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
  7. Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition
  8. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  9. Far Cry 3
  10. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 23:19 SpectralMeat

Do you guys think FC3 will go on sale during the Steam Christmas sale? I want to get it but I should probably wait. Total Biscuit doesn't make waiting for that game to go on sale easy.  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 21:58 KilrathiAce

far cry 3 needs to get higher!  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 21:53 heroin

What happened to X-Com?!  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 21:41 w00tie

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 18:18:
The Top Sellers shown on the front page of the store is not the same thing as this Top 10 by revenue for the week. I don't know if they've ever said what it means exactly, but it updates much more often. I'm guessing something like "most units sold in the past hour," or six hours or whatever. Something goes on sale and it shoots right up to the top of that thing right away.

w00tie wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 17:19:
You know that all four of those titles were at 50% off at some point during the sale, right?

I'll give you Borderlands 2, but LOL, no, Black Ops 2 was not on sale. Modern Warfare 3 (last year's) was barely 50% off, and it's regular price is STILL $60. Activision is incredibly tight-assed about Steam sales, despite countless other developers/publishers knowing full well that discounts on the most popular digital storefront can mean more revenue. They may not have come out and commented on it like EA, but they obviously feel very strongly that "devaluing their IP" is something they don't want to do.

And Torchlight 2 being $10 instead of $20 only reinforces the point I was making. It brought in more revenue at $10 a copy than Black Ops 2 did at $60 a copy.

My mistake. I often mistake which CoD is the current one.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 20:13 4D-Boxing

Electric Boogaloo.

Turbo and Ozone with p90s...

I take it NIN is a young pup like myself

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 19:42 nin

cronik wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 19:34:
Blops 2!!

Electric Boogaloo.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 19:34 cronik

Blops 2!!  

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 18:56:
Finished Dishonored yesterday. While not perfect, it's one of my favorite games this year.
Dishonored was great; easily one of the best games of the year. However, I'm really liking Far Cry 3 at the moment and it could be my favourite game of the year, thanks in part to its incredible graphics.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 19:05 DangerDog

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 16:52:
Does this include free games like PS2?

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

PS2 is just barely in the top 10 slot, but you can get PS2 from other places.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 18:56 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 17:58:
That's a pretty encouraging list from where I am sitting. I am getting ready to fire up Dishonored as soon as my new build is complete, and several others off that list are some of the best gaming I've had in a while. Still waiting on FC3 to make sure Ubi gets the offline mode working flawlessly.

Finished Dishonored yesterday. While not perfect, it's one of my favorite games this year. I'm glad its apparently selling well, and look forward to the sequel.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 18:18 jacobvandy

The Top Sellers shown on the front page of the store is not the same thing as this Top 10 by revenue for the week. I don't know if they've ever said what it means exactly, but it updates much more often. I'm guessing something like "most units sold in the past hour," or six hours or whatever. Something goes on sale and it shoots right up to the top of that thing right away.

w00tie wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 17:19:
You know that all four of those titles were at 50% off at some point during the sale, right?

I'll give you Borderlands 2, but LOL, no, Black Ops 2 was not on sale. Modern Warfare 3 (last year's) was barely 50% off, and it's regular price is STILL $60. Activision is incredibly tight-assed about Steam sales, despite countless other developers/publishers knowing full well that discounts on the most popular digital storefront can mean more revenue. They may not have come out and commented on it like EA, but they obviously feel very strongly that "devaluing their IP" is something they don't want to do.

And Torchlight 2 being $10 instead of $20 only reinforces the point I was making. It brought in more revenue at $10 a copy than Black Ops 2 did at $60 a copy.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 18:33.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 18:08 JayDeath

Dishonored is surprisingly good. When you shut off all the pop ups and glowing, it plays like an old school fps, a bit. It reminds me of Thief.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 18:01 The Pyro

How come Borderlands 2 is #2 on this list, and yet if I click on the Top Sellers tab from store.steampowered.com it's not even listed in the top ten?  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:58 Prez

That's a pretty encouraging list from where I am sitting. I am getting ready to fire up Dishonored as soon as my new build is complete, and several others off that list are some of the best gaming I've had in a while. Still waiting on FC3 to make sure Ubi gets the offline mode working flawlessly.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:19 w00tie

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 17:09:
You're right, those games are priced differently, especially the #1 seller for the week which was 50% off during the sale. That just shows more clearly that discounts can lead to more profit by way of volume, as it tops full-priced games like Borderlands 2 and Black Ops 2. Or that really good, budget-priced indie titles (Torchlight 2) can hold their own when it comes to raking in the green.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:15 Crustacean Soup

Huh, no shit. That's good to know. I wasn't aware of where the source of these was.  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:09 jacobvandy

You're right, those games are priced differently, especially the #1 seller for the week which was 50% off during the sale. That just shows more clearly that discounts can lead to more profit by way of volume, as it tops full-priced games like Borderlands 2 and Black Ops 2. Or that really good, budget-priced indie titles (Torchlight 2) can hold their own when it comes to raking in the green.

Again, we list the source here, which explicitly states:

The top selling games on Steam by REVENUE for the week, updated every Sunday

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:02 Crustacean Soup

They're not ranking revenue, as far as I can tell, they're ranking sales. Not all games sell at the same price. Either way, free games don't 'sell' so they don't show up on the ranking.  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 17:00 jacobvandy

Valve offers the following list of the 10 bestselling games for the past week

These are not usage stats, they're ranking revenue.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 16:52 [VG]Reagle

Does this include free games like PS2?  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo