Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 08:43 Prez

The problem to this decidedly non-business-minded observer appears to be that Microsoft has stopped being an aggressive innovator and has instead become only a mediocre imitator with a lack of clear direction. When you look at their most successful products of the last several years they were all doing things either 1) first or 2) better. Look at all the failed MS ventures and it seems to indicate one of two things: a pattern of soulless, slow, reactionary thinking or an uncharacteristic incompetence due to ill-advised product timing or just plain wrong-headed business practices. The Zune was a fine MP3 player... that was just too little too late given the ipod's revolutionary design and massive headstart. By contrast Windows XP was such a huge improvement of the modern day OS that offered features never before seen in the OS world while improving on the old in every conceivable way. Windows Vista could have been great had MS not screwed up the launch by rushing it out before hardware vendors had their drivers ready, thus making it a flop due to terrible first impression (it is actually almost as good as Win 7 now in its current state, but again, too little too late). And it just seems to me that the X-Box venture, while obviously a critical success and a fan favorite arguably did them more harm than good because of the ass-backwards way they handled every aspect of the console. Instead of leveraging off of their complete monopoly on the PC gaming space to bolster the console AND their PC market, they did the mind-numbingly stupid instead - they splintered the market and utterly turned their back on their bread and butter markets.

I don't buy the argument that tablets make PC's obsolete for a second - it's utter crap. I love my Kindle Fire and my Google Nexus for reading, surfing, emailing, music, and movies on the go, but the thought of being forced to do serious gaming or serious work on a tablet makes me want to both laugh and cry at the same time. Tablets are abysmal for work and gaming beyond Angry Birds-style distractions or simplified retro classics. Even accounting for the fact that the PC gaming market is small, I can't forsee a wholesale switch to tablets as workstations anytime soon. Hell, for most people I work with even a laptop is too confining for much of what they do and a desktop is the go-to tool of choice.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 2, 15:24 Re: Sunday Tech Bits The Half Elf
  16. Dec 3, 08:31  Re: Sunday Tech Bits OldTimber
  2. Dec 2, 15:33 Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dades
  3. Dec 2, 16:10  Re: Sunday Tech Bits ASeven
  4. Dec 2, 16:50   Re: Sunday Tech Bits Parallax Abstraction
  7. Dec 2, 17:35    Re: Sunday Tech Bits ASeven
  8. Dec 2, 18:32     Re: Sunday Tech Bits beaves
  5. Dec 2, 17:04 Re: Sunday Tech Bits jacobvandy
  6. Dec 2, 17:12 Re: Sunday Tech Bits AdamK47