Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 12:11 avianflu

As long as apple computers cost 25% more than PC's, MS has a lifeline.

Tablet are eroding the computer markets -- that one slide was true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 3, 2012, 11:05 HorrorScope

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 23:38:
PC sales are down because tablet sales are up. The average user doesn't need a pc anymore.

Right but a lof of this is about %'s year over year. PC's still outsell tablets 4 to 1. Also most already have a pc and don't have a tablet, that surely helps growth. We'll have to see if people once they have tablets like them enough that they will continue to upgrade them for 10 year plus. I still see them as two different products. Business gets done on a PC (+other things), while tablet is a portable entertainment device.

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 09:40 Armengar

ipad only company? That should be fun printing, scanning, aving documents centrally, running new software out quickly etc.

We tried a room of ipads, it was a spectacular failure from a productivity point of view. They are TOOLS - you cant use a hammer for all tasks no matter how nice the hammer is.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 09:31 Verno

Jonjonz wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 07:39:
Wow, someone's crapple fanboi is showing.

Let's come back a year from now, after MS has done to the tablet market what it did to the console market and talk then...

What did MS do to the console market? They are still facing two long standing, entrenched competitors and spent billions to even get to this point. I think you have a logical disconnect here. The Surface is out right now and not exactly selling gangbusters either.

People are not upgrading on Microsofts preferred schedule because system power has long outstripped resource demand from applications. Gaming is one area where this isn't the case but thanks to Microsofts own console efforts people have many choices in the gaming market. I've been saying for a long time that Microsoft has been devaluing its own properties this way but people kept blah blahing about how important the living room is. The living room has too many competitors and MS doesnt have the Apple cachet to demand large profit margins there.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2012, 09:36.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 08:43 Prez

The problem to this decidedly non-business-minded observer appears to be that Microsoft has stopped being an aggressive innovator and has instead become only a mediocre imitator with a lack of clear direction. When you look at their most successful products of the last several years they were all doing things either 1) first or 2) better. Look at all the failed MS ventures and it seems to indicate one of two things: a pattern of soulless, slow, reactionary thinking or an uncharacteristic incompetence due to ill-advised product timing or just plain wrong-headed business practices. The Zune was a fine MP3 player... that was just too little too late given the ipod's revolutionary design and massive headstart. By contrast Windows XP was such a huge improvement of the modern day OS that offered features never before seen in the OS world while improving on the old in every conceivable way. Windows Vista could have been great had MS not screwed up the launch by rushing it out before hardware vendors had their drivers ready, thus making it a flop due to terrible first impression (it is actually almost as good as Win 7 now in its current state, but again, too little too late). And it just seems to me that the X-Box venture, while obviously a critical success and a fan favorite arguably did them more harm than good because of the ass-backwards way they handled every aspect of the console. Instead of leveraging off of their complete monopoly on the PC gaming space to bolster the console AND their PC market, they did the mind-numbingly stupid instead - they splintered the market and utterly turned their back on their bread and butter markets.

I don't buy the argument that tablets make PC's obsolete for a second - it's utter crap. I love my Kindle Fire and my Google Nexus for reading, surfing, emailing, music, and movies on the go, but the thought of being forced to do serious gaming or serious work on a tablet makes me want to both laugh and cry at the same time. Tablets are abysmal for work and gaming beyond Angry Birds-style distractions or simplified retro classics. Even accounting for the fact that the PC gaming market is small, I can't forsee a wholesale switch to tablets as workstations anytime soon. Hell, for most people I work with even a laptop is too confining for much of what they do and a desktop is the go-to tool of choice.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 08:31 OldTimber

bingo, can wager that for most users who bought duals 4-6 years ago or quads 3-3.5 yrs ago they see no need to upgrade even. analysts seem to think that all companies need to do is throw out new chips of small upgrades and people are just going to run out and replace all their equipment again. Tablets are just consumption devices since a touch interface beyond the basics is horrid to use on a long term basis. Better yet cut a finger or 2 slap some bandages on and see how fun it is to use a touch screen.

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 15:24:
PC Sales in the US are down 14%, maybe because the computer they bought last year isn't going to get all that much better with buying a new one this year?

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 07:39 Jonjonz

Wow, someone's crapple fanboi is showing.

Let's come back a year from now, after MS has done to the tablet market what it did to the console market and talk then...

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 07:22 Ozmodan

Looks like Letterman's top ten and about as ridiculous. This quote got me by Steele Johnson: " The average user doesn't need a pc anymore. " What a load of nonsense. Tablets are fun to use, but you really cannot do anything practical on them. Steele feel free to stamp clueless on your forehead.

Soon as I see someone saying Apple is a threat, that immediately tells me they are quite clueless. Apple gouge's their buyers with high prices. That is why they have never penetrated the business market to any degree.

PC's are not going away. Business cannot be conducted on tablets yet, probably not in the near future either.

Decent gaming can only be done on a PC too.

Microsoft's strength is it's software and we all know that software is always years behind the hardware. Googles software has not made much of a dent in the business market to date and that is Microsoft's bread and butter.

Anyone can make up a doom and gloom report of hypothetical occurances, but most of the time these stories are just fictional nonsense.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2012, 07:28.

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 00:20 Creston

MAYBE IF WE TYPE IT IN CAPS PEOPLE WILL BELIEVE IT.

9 out of those 12 slides are purely speculation. "If this happens, then this would cascade into this, and into that, and into that..."

Yeah. IF the sun goes out tomorrow, people would need more flashlights. And they'd get cold. And thirsty, because water would freeze. etc etc.

Other than some dipshit company that led 8500 employees talk it into buying them all iPads (how's the productivity going now, idiots?) few companies are going to be switch their workforce to tablets exclusively, simply because people can't get shit done on those. So Office and Exchange and several other products are going to be just fine.

Companies have been trying to come up with a better version of Excel since 1995, and nobody can really get close. Libre Office's Calc is decent, but still nowhere near good enough for the high-end Excel users. (the fact that Excel is such a massive driving force for Office really makes me wonder why the fuck there are still bugs in it from version 2000...)

However, all this said, under Balmer Microsoft has gone from the dominant tech company that had Apple under its thumb to almost an after-thought. Their stock has basically been FLAT for that entire period. How does this guy not get fucking launched out of the building??

Creston

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 23:38 Steele Johnson

PC sales are down because tablet sales are up. The average user doesn't need a pc anymore. It has nothing to do with Windows 8. The disadvantage microsoft has is that their attempt in releasing a user friendly tablet in the past failed, while Apple and Google succeeded. On the other hand, the direction MS is currently going is actually better than both Apple and Google because one OS runs on any platform (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop), where Apple still has 2 separate operating systems, and Google Chrome OS barely exists. But again, from a marketing standpoint, MS early tablet failure was the nail in their coffin. The best thing that MS can do now is stay business focused (i.e. business software) and embrace cloud technology, and possibly reinvent the TV. But I think Apple will beat them to it. You can expect to see Apple release some type of large screen device in about a year or so, and then everyone will copy them... as usual, and they'll also make consoles obsolete.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 23:54.

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 20:04 nin

Why did microsoft think that desktop users wanted an interface made for a touch screen?

Companies want to write once and have something work everywhere, no matter how ugly it is. You see the same thing with websites, where a web site gets horrendously ugly and has giant images, so that it'll work on a tablet as well as a web browser (I'm looking at you, netflix).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 20:01 Yosemite Sam

DangerDog wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 19:01:
Why did microsoft think that desktop users wanted an interface made for a touch screen?

Pretty sure Microsoft didn't think about desktop users period. Windows 8 is for thier new Surface and all the other laptop\tablet combo computers coming out. Infact looking at the way things are going, it seems like they all want the desktop phased out entirely.

EDIT well I don't think they want it to die, but I think they are realizing that it's going to die. 10 years from now I think it's entirely possible desktops will have gone the way of the Dodo.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 20:21.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 19:01 DangerDog

they keep showing commercials where people are using their fat, greasy fingers all over the display like this is the preferred way to use a PC now.

I know they've ran out of ideas to interest people in buying new versions of their OS but these gimmicks aren't going to help them.

The surface is their next zune and Windows 8 is the new Windows Vista.

Surface should have been an inexpensive x86 based tablet with dual functioning desktop and touch UI, completely open for development by anyone wanting to write apps for it. That's the only thing that would put the hurt on apple and even give google a run for their money with android.

Windows 8 should have been traditional desktop usage with the addition of optionally using touch UI apps on it - not the other way around.

Microsoft is too full of themselves thinking that the brand name carries enough weight to charge people $600 to $1000 for a tablet, they've got a long way to go before they can capture the apple customer - nothing about the surface "sparkles" like an ipad does and their windows phone looks like a sub $100 device - with no contract mind you.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 18:32 beaves

Windows rt is not windows 8. Most of the tablet sales are windows rt not windows 8. Business licenses and home computer licenses for windows 8 are down.
Microsoft needs to give home users and businesses a reason to use windows 8.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 17:35 ASeven

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 16:50:
ASeven wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 16:10:
Dades wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 15:33:
The foot into the living room has cost them a lot and given them little in return.

Exactly, and now this is coming to bite them in the ass as people dump Windows8 for other platforms or simply stick with Win7. The traction MS wanted to gain over Apple will not happen and what will happen instead is that they realize far too late that Windows was and always will be their bread and butter and not consoles. Add to this the terrible direction that Win8 is moving towards and the sales numbers, the real ones, showing Win8 is doing far less sales than Vista did, and the nightmare scenario for MS is pretty much a given

Do you have a link to those "real" sales numbers? The only thing I can find about Windows 8 selling less than Vista is a ZDNet report using dubious sources to put it mildly. Not saying you're wrong. I have no dog in the Windows 8 fight as it were but as I understand, it's not selling horribly. PC sales are down, largely because the world economy is still in the dumps and people are realising they don't need new PCs every 2 years when all they do is surf the Internet.

Well, my numbers come from a lot of reports I subscribe and pay to from various financial firms who do market research and all that stuff. Right now Win8 sales are below Vista and well below Win7 and XP sales according to the reports. The licenses numbers is grossly overstated because most of those licenses doesn't translate into direct sales and revenue.

If these numbers hold up, Win8 will be the least sold Windows since WinME.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 17:12 AdamK47

A poor countdown article with a stong Apple bias.  

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 17:04 jacobvandy

They boast about licenses sold, when the bulk of those are at huge volume discounts for corporations or $15 upgrades they were selling... There's a reason they're not touting activation counts, or revenues, etc. So basically, no, we don't have the "real" sales figures, but you have to wonder why MS isn't providing them.  

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 16:50 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 16:10:
The foot into the living room has cost them a lot and given them little in return.

Exactly, and now this is coming to bite them in the ass as people dump Windows8 for other platforms or simply stick with Win7. The traction MS wanted to gain over Apple will not happen and what will happen instead is that they realize far too late that Windows was and always will be their bread and butter and not consoles. Add to this the terrible direction that Win8 is moving towards and the sales numbers, the real ones, showing Win8 is doing far less sales than Vista did, and the nightmare scenario for MS is pretty much a given

Do you have a link to those "real" sales numbers? The only thing I can find about Windows 8 selling less than Vista is a ZDNet report using dubious sources to put it mildly. Not saying you're wrong. I have no dog in the Windows 8 fight as it were but as I understand, it's not selling horribly. PC sales are down, largely because the world economy is still in the dumps and people are realising they don't need new PCs every 2 years when all they do is surf the Internet.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 16:10 ASeven

Exactly, and now this is coming to bite them in the ass as people dump Windows8 for other platforms or simply stick with Win7. The traction MS wanted to gain over Apple will not happen and what will happen instead is that they realize far too late that Windows was and always will be their bread and butter and not consoles. Add to this the terrible direction that Win8 is moving towards and the sales numbers, the real ones, showing Win8 is doing far less sales than Vista did, and the nightmare scenario for MS is pretty much a given.

In the end, however, they have nobody else to blame but themselves. Consoles would have never given them any significant revenue share compared to Windows or Office but I guess only in their and their apologists fantasy world would that ever be possible.

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 15:33 Dades

9. The Xbox was never going to make up the slack, and Microsoft can no longer afford to keep investing in it.

In a year of relative gloom, Microsoft's Xbox has become a big bright spot for the company. Kinect is great technology, people are still buying the console, and it's been a great entry point for Microsoft to take over the living room. But, for a company like Microsoft, Xbox isn't enough. Microsoft had $21 billion in operating income last year. The Entertainment and Devices division, which is home to the Xbox had $364 million in operating income. So, as nice as Xbox is, it's not going to be enough to boost Microsoft if the rest of the business collapses.

What many forum posters have been saying for awhile now. They dumped billions into the Xbox and have derived little profit from it. It all should have been tied together from the beginning, they wasted countless opportunities. Xbox games should have been Windows games too, give people a reason not to buy a Mac instead of letting them buy a Mac and an Xbox. The foot into the living room has cost them a lot and given them little in return.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo