Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025

Smed's Blog has word from SOE's John Smedley on their goal of supporting PlanetSide 2 for more than a decade in a massive update about the MMOFPS sequel, following a tweet showing off concept art for a Bastion Fleet Carrier being designed for the game (thanks VG247 where they also note a post on Massively discussing plans to make Station Cash purchases in the game available account-wide). Here's a portion of the post on the game's future:

We have games that have run for over 13 years, so when we're making Planetside 2 we aren't looking at what it's like in 2012. We're thinking about a game we plan to have running in 2025. Yeah. Really. I plan on doing a lot of direct comparisons to other games. When I'm doing that in no way do I want any of this to be viewed as me slamming other games. I've played the heck out of Battlefield 2 and 3 as well as BFBC2. I've also played a ton of MW2 and MW3 as well as TF2. I am primarily a PC gamer. I've also played on teams extensively. All of the above games are amazing and are made by people with tremendous talent and passion that I have the utmost respect for. We're making Planetside 2 to be a game we at SOE want to play. We've gotten a lot of inspiration from elements of the above games as well as many other games.. including our own and especially from the original Planetside which we released back in 2003. Well ahead of it's time. This isn't meant to be a super comprehensive FAQ on Planetside 2 - just some things I wanted to get out there after reading a lot of questions and comments. Also - it's late.. I'm not spending a ton of time formatting this too well, so sorry for the wall of text in many spots.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

33. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 2, 2012, 05:53 jamiedj99

to easy to cap and lose bases and there realy is not enough reason to hold them or keep defending them. my hand held gun or sunder gun does more dam to air then the anti air canons defending bases. i could go one it needs work but with the right options they could realy make a good game  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 2, 2012, 05:23 Wildone

they better deal with the fucking cheats already its out of control a month out.  

31. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 2, 2012, 04:03 Trevellian

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 03:28:
There is nothing quite like PS2, this is true. However even on radeon 7950's and i7 processors on 64 bit Windows 7, there are terrible FPS problems in large fights, and worse than bad fps, is horrible non registering weapons.

While their AMD support has been outright terrible, and it's taxing on many machines. I don't know anyone with an i7 and a 680 GTX who has had issues. i7 and other lower GPU's, definitely.

I myself run 2 6870's in Crossfire, and a Phenom 2 3.6GHz Quad Core. And after some fiddling around the other night, I've overclocked the graphics cards by about 10% each, and Overclocked my processor to 4.0GHz, as well as installed the AMD 12.11 Beta 8 drivers (Which have Planetside Crossfire support in them) and have since had fewer issues. I almost always have a 30+ FPS, usually closer to 40 which is definitely more playable than the 10-25 I was getting before doing these things. The game also still has a terrible godawful memory leak they need to fix as I (And others, including the guys I play with that have i7's and 680's) have to reboot after a few hours of play to smooth everything out again after it's dropped to unplayable levels.

The game is by no means perfect technically. But as far as Gameplay I couldn't ask for a better game in a Planetside sequel, so overall I'm happy. The technical issues will go away with time.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 2, 2012, 03:35 finga

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 20:55:
I'm not playing atm because any decent firefight is just too much for my system right now. Perhaps I'll jump back in just as a support role - vehicle gunner or something. I played CS hardcore with some serious clans for a lot of years so it's not my 'skillz' that I'm concerned with here.
Yeah, that's one of the challenges with playing Planetside 2. Unlike with BF3, you can't just jump on a low-playercount server if your PC isn't handling the load well enough. In this game, your PC kind of has to handle the game at its wildest, especially since you never know where and when a couple hundred dudes will show up to bolster numbers.

29. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 2, 2012, 03:28 Overon

There is nothing quite like PS2, this is true. However even on radeon 7950's and i7 processors on 64 bit Windows 7, there are terrible FPS problems in large fights, and worse than bad fps, is horrible non registering weapons.  

28. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 2, 2012, 02:20 Zetler

Its hard to believe but SoE actually managed to produce an amazing MMO. This is clearly their best game since Everquest. There is nothing like this out there and when compared with other F2P offerings Planetside 2 simply tower above them all.

I wish all other F2P games would be so open an unrestrictive. After two weeks I decided to sub to the game because frankly, it's freaking awesome.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 02:26.

27. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 1, 2012, 23:37 Trevellian

Yakubs wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 22:35:
He envisions us still playing in 12 years.

Now the cert unlock system is starting to make sense...

Played the first Planetside for 9 years because there was nothing else like it. Can entirely see myself playing Planetside 2 for just as long if they continue to add continents and new features regularly as planned, for the same reason. Nothing else like it. Until someone else makes a MM0 Shooter with thousands of people on one battlefield it's a one of a kind experience.

For the Republic

26. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 1, 2012, 23:06 cronik

Yakubs wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 22:35:

It can happen, people are still playing Diablo 2 in droves!

25. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 1, 2012, 22:35 Yakubs

Now the cert unlock system is starting to make sense...

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 21:02 Axis

Trev you're right. My gaming circle is pretty large -- Several have been together since QWTF and branched out to pretty much everything since then. Lots of people, we can muster enough for any game given the interest.

Yours truly,

Axis

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 20:55 Cutter

I'm not playing atm because any decent firefight is just too much for my system right now. Perhaps I'll jump back in just as a support role - vehicle gunner or something. I played CS hardcore with some serious clans for a lot of years so it's not my 'skillz' that I'm concerned with here.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 20:18 Trevellian

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 20:10:
The problem with the posters in this forum is that many get OWNED everytime they log into a decent first person shooter. They admit it.

Then they come on here and bash COD, BF3, PS2 you name it.

I understand you guys are not defined by your 0.1 K/D but playing farmville and/or dress up barbie online and then coming to Blues News and bashing decent shooters is not the answer.

How about you try to come to grips with the fact your GET OWNED and dont have the reflexes to play online for starters.

People LOVE COD its obvious. But they hate it here on BN. Now why would that be?

Have to agree with you for once on something. I by no means have a godlike KD, but I at the very least hover around 2.0 in PS2, and a lot of that comes from running with a solid Outfit (Most of us played PS1 together and have stuck together for 9 years since). The game is very team oriented and most of the people on here seem to be the type where they just want to jump in by themselves and think they should be able to rule the world in a Team Oriented game. For once, a game promotes actual team play, something they complain not enough games have. And it's too hard for them to get involved and find that team to run with.

The game is far, far superior to BF3 or COD in every regard as far as I'm concerned. But I have a team.

And to Axis, it's not "Buzzing" in your normal Clan Scene, because the normal "clan scene" are usually like 16 people who play things like TF2 and CS, COD and BF3. This is a much larger scale, to have a succeessful Outfit in PS2 requires a Platoon minimum. So you're looking at more "Guild" style groups that play Planetside, 40+ people. Not small TF and CS clans. This is a game played by mostly 300-400 person Gaming Communities. Like Sturmgrenadier, Xen of Onslaught, DevilDogs, etc. Large, large communities that go into MMO's together.

For the Republic

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 20:10 [VG]Reagle

The problem with the posters in this forum is that many get OWNED everytime they log into a decent first person shooter. They admit it.

Then they come on here and bash COD, BF3, PS2 you name it.

I understand you guys are not defined by your 0.1 K/D but playing farmville and/or dress up barbie online and then coming to Blues News and bashing decent shooters is not the answer.

How about you try to come to grips with the fact your GET OWNED and dont have the reflexes to play online for starters.

People LOVE COD its obvious. But they hate it here on BN. Now why would that be?

I am much better now.

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 19:52 Axis

bigspender wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 18:57:
Axis wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:33:
Would love to see some stats. No clans from my gaming circles are buzzing, looking to be a dud in my present estimation.

Thats a shame I find that amazing, people will buy the same CoD game over and over but will not play a superior free game

(not saying you guys play CoD, but in general i mean)

I know what you mean, no offense taken I haven't touched COD since the original PC release. We are mainly into quake type games, core twitch with a focus on solo skill in the tightest network code possible in a team. Couple of us occasionally diverge and will start a ladder in other games, quality ones like tf2 tho (which was about 4 years ago or so).

Yours truly,

Axis

19. Re: Bad first impression... Dec 1, 2012, 19:48 Teddy

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 18:48:
I believe their biggest failure so far, and a very damaging one to the games long term success, was by doing an atrocious job of introducing the game to new players. PS1 had a training program environment that allowed you to familarize yourself with the controls, spawn vehicles and use them, test different weapons, etc. PS2 just throws you into the middle of a fight to die instantly as you're struggling to figure out what's going on. This approach is fine for veterans or for people who know how great this game can be, but a lot of other new players are saying screw it and logging out immediately. Not good, and rather embarrassing when I am telling someone how much fun this game is and their first impression of it is total shit. Im really disappointed in the developers for this decision, but it hurts them more than myself.

While I tend to agree that there needs to be better familiarization for new players, what kind of idiots download a game to try then log out and never play again after they die once? If they're that fragile, then they wouldn't last long in the game no matter how you prepare them for it. They're going to die eventually.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 18:57 bigspender

Axis wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:33:
Would love to see some stats. No clans from my gaming circles are buzzing, looking to be a dud in my present estimation.

Thats a shame I find that amazing, people will buy the same CoD game over and over but will not play a superior free game

(not saying you guys play CoD, but in general i mean)

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

17. Bad first impression... Dec 1, 2012, 18:48 JohnBirshire

I believe their biggest failure so far, and a very damaging one to the games long term success, was by doing an atrocious job of introducing the game to new players. PS1 had a training program environment that allowed you to familarize yourself with the controls, spawn vehicles and use them, test different weapons, etc. PS2 just throws you into the middle of a fight to die instantly as you're struggling to figure out what's going on. This approach is fine for veterans or for people who know how great this game can be, but a lot of other new players are saying screw it and logging out immediately. Not good, and rather embarrassing when I am telling someone how much fun this game is and their first impression of it is total shit. Im really disappointed in the developers for this decision, but it hurts them more than myself.

16. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 1, 2012, 18:36 DangerDog

pipe dream

as in pass the pipe stuffed with marijuana

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 18:25 [VG]Reagle

This is an OLD post by Smed....
Smed
Posted on Aug. 11th, 2012 at 02:34 am

I am much better now.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 18:21 bigspender

J wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 18:04:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 17:44:
J wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 17:32:
I've yet to see any real benefits to being in a squad in PS2.

• Squad bonus XP
  • Squad organization and teamwork (waypoints; nearest deploy point near leader is Green; you can see squad members on the HUD; squad text and voice communication; etc.)
  • Squad spawn beacons
  • Squad/platoon-locked vehicles are open to you (and a number of squads do lock their vehicles, even if they're open squads)

• You can solo, but it's definitely more rewarding when you're squaded.

If you're just in it for the XP, then maybe it's not that much more rewarding, but then I don't know why you'd play this game at all.
    I played four hours solo and four hours in a squad and both ended up at the same level. I found solo to be more rewarding so far, both in terms of experience points and of gameplay experiences.

Frankly I've done the squad leader thing and I know what to look for so I can position myself accordingly (in the thick of it with my heavy or flanking/supporting with my infiltrator). And with a majority of players (I have played with) in PS2 not communicating, zerging, and the way benefits are awarded, I currently find solo to be better.

public squads don't work too well unless you have a squad leader or platoon leader coordinating everything.

you'll realise that playing as an organised outfit is beneficial once you see 20 tanks roll into a base and surround it from a distance where enemy rocket launchers arent able to lock onto them. These tanks rain down fire as sunderers let lose troops that can safelty capture things in the chaos.
    Not to mention you have at least 12 or more aircraft domination in the sky and anything left on the ground.

And then you think you are safe because the vehicles can't get inside the main facility. well, thats when you create a choke point on the small unshielded exits/entrys.
    But of course the other team being organised rushes in some invisible infiltrators through the front door and some light assaults are air dropped through the top of the facility. The light assaults start shooting people from the top and back, and the infiltrators take out the shields to let the vehicles in.

Its all over pretty quickly

Unfortunetly I was on the unorganised faction when this happened to us, but it was epic to see it working, we just could not hold them off, they working perfectly in unison

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo