Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished"

NowGamer has word from Free Radical Design cofounder Steve Ellis on Star Wars Battlefront III, the cancelled sci-fi action sequel for which footage emerged earlier this year. Ellis talks of the encouragement they took from the reaction to the videos and claims that the game was in the polishing phase when it was cancelled, which doesn't seem to mesh perfectly with him saying this was "for financial reasons: "We had a 99% finished game that just needed bug fixing for release. It should have been our most successful game, but it was cancelled for financial reasons. I'm happy that people did at least get to see what we were working on and share the team's enthusiasm for it." Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 4, 2012, 12:24 Fantaz

Star War: Battlefront 3 was ‘mediocre’, 99% complete claim is ‘bullshit’, says source  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 3, 2012, 04:47 Jerykk

From the leaked footage of the game, I'd say it was far from 99% done. More like 50% max.  

16. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 2, 2012, 15:24 Hobeaux

Just because it could have been their most successful release doesn't mean that it would be successful financially. The costs of marketing, servers, maintenance, content development (and more) needs to be assessed and addressed.

Even if it was projected to net profitable, the expected gain could be too low to justify the cost of getting there and keeping it.

Gross exaggeration: if you have yearly earnings of $4.2M but the operating cost is $4M then the actual profit is a mere $200K. The amount of effort to net that may not be very appealing.

also: one doesn't know the licensing costs of the franchise or any implications with the recent transfer of Star Wars to Disney. It may simply been a fringe operation that would be better to kill early than risk financial loss despite a positive forecast.

15. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 2, 2012, 12:58 theyarecomingforyou

If it really was 99% finished and the publisher decided to scrap it then it must have been a bloody appalling game for the publisher to effectively throw-away money. The guy is obviously talking out of his ass.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 2, 2012, 12:45 Creston

Who had cancelled the game, the publisher? That makes no sense. Publishers are notorious for shipping shit that's nowhere near finished, and they don't give a shit if something is bug-ridden. Why would they cancel something that was 99% done?

Creston

13. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 2, 2012, 05:59 Moog

> We had a 99% finished game that just needed bug fixing for release

If game development companies are only putting 1% effort into bug fixing then thay explains the sorry state of a lot of the shite that gets released these days!

12. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 2, 2012, 05:24 Fibrocyte

How can you work in this business and have any kind of position of relevance and make such a statement? How is it possible? The stupidity of others hurts the brain so much.

You could walk in to your nearest Walgreens and ask the clerk to evaluate how "done" that game was and he would be able to give a more accurate answer than this lying/moronic POS.

11. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 2, 2012, 04:02 dj LiTh

Maybe i'm in the minority here, but i actually enjoyed the first two battlefront's.....but ya i agree with the others, noway it was 99% complete then canceled.  

10. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 1, 2012, 20:48 necrosis

Wasted money. Along with Battlefront I and II.  

9. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 19:52 JohnBirshire

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 17:06:
Yeah, he's talking out his ass. A game's development has a definite event horizon. If it's before it and the publisher doesn't have faith its shaping up to at least recoup their money they pull the plug before they waste anymore dough.

Exactly. Games get released when they are 50% done for financial reasons, not cancelled at 99%. There isn't one person in the industry that believes him when he says this.

8. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 1, 2012, 18:42 DangerDog

I'm sure 99% finished to him would have ended up being a game just barely out of beta for us.

wasn't this primarily a 3rd person console shooter? That video, whatever stage it was at, didn't impress me.

7. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 18:09 nin

deadearth wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 16:33:
pagb wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:35:
Yep, that video on youtube posted a while ago says the opposite

Did anyone say that the youtube video was the last build before it was cancelled? (or even how close to the youtube build was from the time it was cancelled?)

I honestly don't know, but the video could have easily been 6 months to a year before that happened, and is probably not an indication of the state of the game just prior to cancellation

Exactly.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 1, 2012, 17:06 Cutter

Yeah, he's talking out his ass. A game's development has a definite event horizon. If it's before it and the publisher doesn't have faith its shaping up to at least recoup their money they pull the plug before they waste anymore dough.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 16:45 The Half Elf

The video showed a game that was BARELY even a Alpha, let alone 99% complete. The video appears to have been pulled but if I remember the commentary from the video they showed the 'most complete' parts of the game and it was a mess.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 16:33 deadearth

pagb wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:35:

Did anyone say that the youtube video was the last build before it was cancelled? (or even how close to the youtube build was from the time it was cancelled?)

I honestly don't know, but the video could have easily been 6 months to a year before that happened, and is probably not an indication of the state of the game just prior to cancellation

3. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 1, 2012, 16:33 Dev

If it really was 99% finished, why not do a kickstarter for the rest? If it was a $10m game, then 1% would be $100k.

I wouldn't back it, but I bet there's enough who would.

2. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 15:35 pagb

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:06:
To say he was overly optimistic is an understatement.

1. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished" Dec 1, 2012, 15:06 Ozmodan

To say he was overly optimistic is an understatement.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo