Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 15:07 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 14:21:
"Too much like a console port," what does that mean? 1920x1200 is more than twice the resolution of what the consoles are outputting, so to say the jaggies are making it look like the console version is patently false.

I thought the text was pretty clear and something subjective can't be patently false. Many console ports ship without AA options due to deferred rendering and have jaggies galore. The game looks merely good without some level of AA while it looks great with AA. Play however you want but I'll take AA at the cost of some dumb shadow options that make little visual impact but have a large FPS cost over console port jaggies any day.

I have a stable 55-60 fps with HDAO, Shadows on High instead of Ultra and 2x MSAA which makes for a well blended visual splendor. The largest frame rate impacts are HDAO, MSAA and Shadow Quality. HDAO turned off lets you play with 2 or 4x MSAA and ultra shadows but the visuals take a noticable dip. I find the game less enjoyable at less than 50fps and I'm not a particularly discerning gamer about framerates so that's what I would suggest people make a base line for.

I am going back to hunting people with a bow and arrow in the jungle now Army

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 15:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 14:21 jacobvandy

"Too much like a console port," what does that mean? 1920x1200 is more than twice the resolution of what the consoles are outputting, so to say the jaggies are making it look like the console version is patently false. Not to mention their advanced graphics options are probably maxing out at medium/high, not very high/ultra. Anyhow, I just did some tests of my own and MSAA really isn't that bad for performance. 2x was about a 10% reduction and 4x was about 35%. 8x is just about 50%, but I never go that high because, as I was saying, it's really not necessary at resolutions in excess of 1080p.

I didn't know until I measured, but my base framerate has been around 40 with everything maxed. I'm not the type of person to whine about anything less than 60, but it has been so solid/consistent my whole time playing that I could have guessed it was higher. Still, I think I'll be leaving MSAA off because it was making some effects (like dust hanging behind vehicles) look really odd and artificial.

11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 13:50 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 13:07:
Game is super smooth with everything maxed on a GTX 580 for me, though I'm not using MSAA (I always choose jaggies over reducing rendering quality). I did install it on the SSD, though, since it's an open world game.

I've got it on an SSD too, it's just a very taxing game, look at benchmarks to confirm what I'm saying. You're playing without MSAA so of course it's ~60fps. Looks too much like a console port without the AA but with AA and high detail the game looks gorgeous. Turning on MSAA and turning down Shadows looks a lot better to me than having AA off but shadows way up.

Weapon degradation, i.e. jamming and eventually explosive misfires, is gone as well. Fuck that, man. Those are the ONLY role-playing elements that are not superfluous for a shooter, IMO. They make things interesting (one of my most memorable moments from FC2 is firing an RPG and watching in terror as the warhead flops onto the ground two feet in front of me... time to run!), and they're pretty likely to give you a reason to scavenge weapons in the field rather than just tote your pristine custom pieces everywhere and only look to dropped AK-47s as a last resort for replenishing ammo.

Never mind the now nonsensical and unnecessary cutscenes with your tribal friend occasionally tattooing your arm... Inventory and crafting are also all in the pause menu, which as you've probably guessed by now is super crowded and quite cumbersome to navigate.

It just sucks when good games are ruined by stupid design.

I can agree with all of that, there are a lot of convenience factors for dopey console gamers. Fast travel is lame and I don't use it, the vending machines are a convenience thing that they didn't need if they had spaced out some stores correctly and I do miss weapon jams. I am willing take the good over the bad though, it is a really strong game despite not being as mechanically complex as Far Cry 2.

10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 13:29 jacobvandy

It's the 'd3d11' executable, so I hope it's DX11.  

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 13:24 nin

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 13:07:
Game is super smooth with everything maxed on a GTX 580 for me, though I'm not using MSAA (I always choose jaggies over reducing rendering quality). I did install it on the SSD, though, since it's an open world game. I'm thinking not doing so would be the cause of some hitching, as was the case with Firefall.

Are you running DX9 or 11? I saw someone claim on steam that 9 ran a lot smoother.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 13:07 jacobvandy

Game is super smooth with everything maxed on a GTX 580 for me, though I'm not using MSAA (I always choose jaggies over reducing rendering quality). I did install it on the SSD, though, since it's an open world game. I'm thinking not doing so would be the cause of some hitching, as was the case with Firefall.

That said, I agree the game is quite good. The only thing(s) I'm disappointed about is the lack of immersion compared to Far Cry 2... Where previously they made efforts to have everything happen in-game in real-time, such as holding an actual map in your hands or choosing your load-out from a tangible armory, they've returned to the homogenized path of pleasing the ADHD masses with convenience. There's no reason to visit actual store buildings when there are automated weapon vending machines inside every single safehouse (which themselves are fast-travel waypoints accessible at any time from the Assassin's Creed-style escape menu map), and 99% of your healing is done instantly via a medical injection to refill your health bar. I very much preferred the really cool if sometimes stomach-churning self-administered triage, such as using pliers to pull a bullet out of your leg before bandaging it or forcing your thumb back into its socket with one big, pain-haze inducing tug.

Weapon degradation, i.e. jamming and eventually explosive misfires, is gone as well. Fuck that, man. Those are the ONLY role-playing elements that are not superfluous for a shooter, IMO. They make things interesting (one of my most memorable moments from FC2 is firing an RPG and watching in terror as the warhead flops onto the ground two feet in front of me... time to run!), and they're pretty likely to give you a reason to scavenge weapons in the field rather than just tote your pristine custom pieces everywhere and only look to dropped AK-47s as a last resort for replenishing ammo.

They had a cool idea with the tattoos on your arm representing the skills you've learned, so they're visible and growing in number/complexity as you progress through the game, but they ruined that, too. "Let's just put some generic icons in the pause menu so that you can choose them any time, then have ambiguous tattoos magically emblazon themselves on your arm afterward!" Never mind the now nonsensical and unnecessary cutscenes with your tribal friend occasionally tattooing your arm... Inventory and crafting are also all in the pause menu, which as you've probably guessed by now is super crowded and quite cumbersome to navigate.

It just sucks when good games are ruined by stupid design.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 13:28.

7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 12:36 Creston

Thanks for the review, Dades!

Creston

6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 12:27 Dades

I did the VPN unlock and have been playing, it's a great game. They really managed to capture the feel of the jungle, the animals introduce an element of risk for the player and the enemies. I thought it was much ado about nothing until I started seeing tigers and other predators who can stalk you too. The storyline has a believable villain and is reasonably well written. All of the people crying about the protagonist are just mad hes not a muscle necked gears of war caricature. He's a flight of fancy risk taker who gets out of his element and is forced to adapt. The stealth is great once you tweak the difficulty, more on that below, and the way they implemented the XP bonuses for remaining hidden is good.

Dislikes: The wallhack vision crap, I disabled it all. Any time you use your camera or ironsights it tags enemies which is really lame but you can turn it off for true challenge. The game is way more fun and intense if you turn off all of the assistance, I strongly recommend people not play the game in pussy mode as it ruins part of the fun. The crafting system is good but once you make everything there's no reason to hunt the animals other than sport.

The game is incredibly taxing on hardware, a real DX11 game. I have a GeForce 680 and at 1920x1200 the game stutters with everything on ultra. People with modest systems will need to turn details down. Turning shadows to High instead of Ultra alone nets a 10-15fps boost. Changing HDAO to HBAO nets another huge gain in FPS but has a noticable effect on visuals. MSAA murders performance, leaving it at 2x instead of 4x still makes every beautiful and playable. Haven't touched coop or multiplay yet, doing story first.

Great game, their DRM might be shit but Ubisoft can make awesome titles.

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 11:50 Cabezone

Every single reviewer should have knocked it for it's intrusive/gamebreaking Uplay service/overlay. It also should have gotten knocked for it's terrible checkpoint save system.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 11:32 Creston

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 19:16:
oh look far cry 3 got a high score on a website with a massive far cry 3 advert in the background and on the top of the page, side of the page and bottom of the page, so shocked...

It's Gamespot. They really should change the name of their website to ReviewScoresForSale.com.

That said, from the looks of it, FC3 actually really deserves its scores.

Creston

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2012, 00:46 xXBatmanXx

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 20:47:
oh look far cry 3 got a high score on a website with a massive far cry 3 advert in the background and on the top of the page, side of the page and bottom of the page, so shocked...

It's gotten a high score on almost every site that's reviewed it.

And those who bought it.

So much so, that some friends from here are playing it and I am now considering purchasing it....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 1, 2012, 20:47 Jerykk

It's gotten a high score on almost every site that's reviewed it.

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 1, 2012, 19:16 netnerd85

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo