Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Greenlight Approvals

Steam News announces a third set of games approved for release on Steam thanks to the Steam Greenlight program. "In just three months, the community has helped us identify 50 new titles for us to offer via Steam," said Alden Kroll of Valve. "With the help of Greenlight, the indie games market share of games sold on Steam has increased by 50 percent for a third consecutive year. That's a stat we are proud of, but one we also hope to increase as we learn more about Greenlight and continue to refine it in the new year." The newly greenlit project include a half-dozen programs and this baker's dozen games:

• Blackspace
  • Darkfall Unholy Wars
  • Dawn of Fantasy
  • Dragon's Lair
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Gear Up
  • Kinetic Void - Space Adventure
  • The Light
  • No Time To Explain
  • Primordia
  • Sang-Froid : Tales of Werewolves
  • StarForge
  • Waking Mars

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 16:01 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 14:44:
edit: And remember this one? Years later, only the same deal. But this time in 3d.

Yeah there was a bar in Akron called Satchmoe's (sp) that had that in their basement, awful. That was a game trying to hard to be ultra-techy and it was just bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 14:44 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 14:21:
I'm down and cool with Dragon's Lair.

But make no mistake, we did the right thing denouncing it way back when after it's initial burst. That is totally not the way you wanted the industry in the whole to go. We are much further ahead then "create your own adventure" games.

You guys think consoles are dumb downed.

One could say it's one of, if not the, first QTE game. It's wasn't about skill, it was about memorization. And the only way you could win was to die a number of times until you found the correct response.

I agree that's certainty not the way we would have wanted to industry to go, but (like you) I also have many fond memories of it, since we'd never seen anything like it, up until that point.

edit: And remember this one? Years later, only the same deal. But this time in 3d.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 14:21 HorrorScope

I'm down and cool with Dragon's Lair.

But make no mistake, we did the right thing denouncing it way back when after it's initial burst. That is totally not the way you wanted the industry in the whole to go. We are much further ahead then "create your own adventure" games.

You guys think consoles are dumb downed.

18. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Dec 1, 2012, 11:29 Mordecai Walfish

Dev wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 23:43:
I'm not going to pay $40 for FRAPS (for years I've checked for sales on that) and its also never made it to steam despite my hopes, so hopefully one of those other ones is cheaper and works decently.

DXtory is free and records video, AFAIK.

17. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Dec 1, 2012, 00:32 Elricsi

ASeven wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 22:24:
I remember playing Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on my Amiga. The animation quality of that game made it something quite special back in the day.

Hell's to the yes! I don't even know how many times I played Space Ace on my A500. How many floppy's was that again?

16. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 23:43 Dev

As I recall, they remastered the dragon's lair video and got bluray versions in the last few years. So yeah, it should be HD.

Blue didn't mention, but they greenlit the first batch of software apps too:
First Steam Greenlight Software Titles
Action! Screen Recorder
Bandicam: Game Recorder
Construct 2
Display Fusion
HitFilm 2
You Need A Budget 4
I'm not going to pay $40 for FRAPS (for years I've checked for sales on that) and its also never made it to steam despite my hopes, so hopefully one of those other ones is cheaper and works decently.

15. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 22:24 ASeven

I remember playing Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on my Amiga. The animation quality of that game made it something quite special back in the day.  

14. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 22:04 nin

Agreed. Being able to control a Don Bluth cartoon was amazing and is easily one of my favorite arcade games of all time, and one I spent more quarters on than most.

I totally sucked at the game, and quickly gave up, as many quarters as it ate. I watched a playthrough this afternoon (when this topic came up) and it brought back all kinds of memories.

13. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

I've now rated 957 games and there are some real gems in amongst the mountain of dross. It's just a shame that some of the better looking games haven't yet been Greenlit when loads of shit games have.

I expect Valve will add achievements to the Winter Sale for rating games on Greenlight.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 19:04 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 18:09:
Dragon's Lair was amazing for it's time to kids like me who saw it for the one simple reason that it allowed a player to determine the outcome of a cartoon. To those of us who were cartoon-obsessed tweens at the time, that was an impossible dream come true.

Agreed. Being able to control a Don Bluth cartoon was amazing and is easily one of my favorite arcade games of all time, and one I spent more quarters on than most.

I was reading the wiki and apparently there was a recent movie project (listed between 2006/2007)in the works that seems to have hit some roadblocks, and is awaiting funding:

According to Don Bluth and Gary Goldman a Dragon's Lair movie has been scripted and is ready to go into production once financing for the project is in place. The film will be in the classic, traditional 2D animation style. Currently, however, the project is in development hell.

11. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 18:46 Cutter

Tom wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:45:
EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR!!! If you haven't seen the "let's play" for the original one... enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qDNcvqFSU

I'll get this when it hits $5. Seeing as I've never driven around Europe it's at least a cheap virtual exploration. Than and listening to Convoy by CW McCall and Eastbound and Down by Jerry Reed equals good times!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 18:09 Prez

Dragon's Lair was amazing for it's time to kids like me who saw it for the one simple reason that it allowed a player to determine the outcome of a cartoon. To those of us who were cartoon-obsessed tweens at the time, that was an impossible dream come true.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 18:04 nin

SykesN. wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:40:
Now bring on Space Ace!

I'd like that one as well.

8. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 17:45 Tom

EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR!!! If you haven't seen the "let's play" for the original one... enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5qDNcvqFSU

7. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 17:40 SykesN.

Not ashamed in the least to buy Dragon's Lair. Wasted soooo many quarters on this badboy. Now bring on Space Ace!  

6. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 17:03 Mordecai Walfish

Rhino wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:16:
Draugr wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:52:
50 years from now Dragon's lair is STILL going to be offered on every new device/distribution platform.

And I'll still be alive and kicking, reminding myself that even back in the 80's I kept trying to convince myself that it was a cool game.

I remember first seeing Dragon's Lair and thinking it was so badass. Playing it now just feels so cheap given it's simply a cartoon driven by quick time events..

nin wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:36:
I'm a little ashamed to say I'd buy Dragon's Lair, provided the video quality was good, as I've not played in upwards of 30 years.

If nostalgia is really hitting you that hard for this one.. heres all 22 minutes of animation from the game, including all death scenes, in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znO_m00s8II

Much more fun to watch than to play through, IMO =)

5. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 16:36 nin

I'm a little ashamed to say I'd buy Dragon's Lair, provided the video quality was good, as I've not played in upwards of 30 years.

4. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 16:25 The Half Elf

Elessar wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:23:
Aww, no MaK. This makes me sad.

MaK looks kinda cool. Looks like it'd be more fun as a co-op Garry's Mod sorta thing.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 16:23 Elessar

Aww, no MaK. This makes me sad.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

2. Re: New Steam Greenlight Approvals Nov 30, 2012, 16:16 Rhino

Draugr wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:52:
50 years from now Dragon's lair is STILL going to be offered on every new device/distribution platform.

And I'll still be alive and kicking, reminding myself that even back in the 80's I kept trying to convince myself that it was a cool game.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo