Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround

The reddit community has presented a workaround for problems users were having playing Far Cry 3, as the shooter sequel is now available in Europe, saying simply setting the game's Uplay mode to "offline" allows it to be played even with the servers unavailable. As detailed on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, many users were unable to play due to Uplay servers being offline, leading to accusations of more Ubisoft always-on DRM. In the meantime, Eurogamer notes that besides the workaround, Ubi tweets that the servers are back: "Dear #FarCry3PC players, thank you for your patience, our servers are back up & running. Have fun playing!"

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

56. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 02:47 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:51:
I like you SV but after your claim some time ago that you didn't have a single pre-patch issue with Fallout 3 I take any claim from you of this nature with an ocean's worth of salt.

Well I didn't. Should I lie and pretend I did? I'm not sure what the socially acceptable thing to do is here I guess.

Fucking Fallout 3! It's always... crashing! Or something!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 02:45 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:10:
StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:04:
Guess I am the weird one because I never had a problem with Uplay.

Not even slightly surprised to see you saying that in a thread detailing how to get around documented Uplay issues

...okay?

Am I a rabid DRM hater this week or a rabid DRM defender? I forget which agenda I supposedly have sometimes.

54. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 02:30 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 18:51:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:51:
Unless Uplay has changed since the last time I used it it's not anymore complex, log in, launch game play.

That's not how it works for AC3, at least not for me. If I launch Uplay directly, it doesn't even realize I own AC3. I HAVE to launch the Steam icon first, which then somehow installs it into Uplay, and THEN Uplay realizes that I have AC3.

Even Origin manages to be smarter than that.

Creston

Yeah, Uplay is pretty worthless like that. You have to instal and run a game before Uplay lets you link it to your account. If you bought the game from Steam, you can't link the game to your Uplay account.

Ugh -- I didnt realize this uses Uplay. Guess it will be the console version after all.

Yup, that'll sure show Ubisoft! Oh wait, no it won't. If you don't like Uplay, you shouldn't support any game that uses it. The console versions use it too. By buying the console version, you're just making PC gamers less relevant.

53. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 20:55 SpectralMeat

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:32:
What's so shitty about it is that Ubisoft consistently makes games I am interested in playing, then they kill my enthusiasm with shit like this. FRUSTRATING!
Same here.

Steam: SpectralMeat

52. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 20:36 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 19:46:
So, are you calling me a lunch box, telling me to eat a lunch box made of dick, or eat a lunch box full of dicks? Try to be clearer with your insults, even if they don't make sense.

Either way, now I won't feel bad to inform you that your computer is what's slow as shit, because everything I click in Steam responds instantly, including my enormous library.

Actually I want to apologize for that, it was uncalled for.

Nope isn't my machine, runs everything game wise and program wise flawlessly except the steam interface is laggier than I'd like.

51. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 20:26 Quboid

Does the "offline mode" work-around not work 100%?

If it does, this isn't always-on DRM. If there's a button saying "I don't want your DRM to be on", then it's not always-on DRM. It may still be shitty, which is why I'm on the fence about buying it (especially as it's not on Steam, which I quite like), just not always-on.

- Quboid

50. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 19:46 jacobvandy

So, are you calling me a lunch box, telling me to eat a lunch box made of dick, or eat a lunch box full of dicks? Try to be clearer with your insults, even if they don't make sense.

Either way, now I won't feel bad to inform you that your computer is what's slow as shit, because everything I click in Steam responds instantly, including my enormous library.

49. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 19:34 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:57:
LOL, did you just use "I have a lot of games and sometimes it takes a while to look through them" as a reason for Steam being bad? A) You should append that with #FirstWorldProblems and B) I officially cannot take anything you say seriously.

Eat a dick lunch box. steam is slow as shit when switching between tabs was all I was getting at.

48. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 19:26 Darks

Funny video that sums up EA in a nut shell.

http://youtu.be/e-LE0ycgkBQ

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

47. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 18:51 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:51:
Unless Uplay has changed since the last time I used it it's not anymore complex, log in, launch game play.

That's not how it works for AC3, at least not for me. If I launch Uplay directly, it doesn't even realize I own AC3. I HAVE to launch the Steam icon first, which then somehow installs it into Uplay, and THEN Uplay realizes that I have AC3.

Even Origin manages to be smarter than that.

Creston

46. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:57 jacobvandy

LOL, did you just use "I have a lot of games and sometimes it takes a while to look through them" as a reason for Steam being bad? A) You should append that with #FirstWorldProblems and B) I officially cannot take anything you say seriously.  

45. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:52 Shok

I buy something on steam, I have to have steam running to play it. It's really not any different.

Wrong. Some Steam games can be run from shortcuts and not require Steam to start up at all. AI War is one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

44. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:51 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 17:47:
Yeah, but Steam is much more user-friendly and functional, not to mention less intrusive... If you're like any of the perhaps 95% of people around here, Steam is where you have the lion's share of your [digital] game library and social contacts. You say "oh, so since Steam is the most popular, it gets a pass?" Yes and no...

It got as big as it did because it WORKS, and works well. It is NOT always-on DRM, it does NOT phone home to some server every single time you launch a game to find out whether you're allowed to play something, it is NOT integrated into core systems of the games you play in such a way that will render them UNPLAYABLE when the master server is unavailable... If you lose your internet connection after the program is already running, i.e. you've logged in, it doesn't lock you out. If you've logged in at least once on that computer, you don't even need to be online when you launch Steam, because it has an actual, working offline mode... Yadda yadda yadda.

Uplay is a pile of shit. And that's all beside the point that you seemed to have ignored -- it's 100% redundant for games owned and launched through Steam.

Unless Uplay has changed since the last time I used it it's not anymore complex, log in, launch game play. 99.9% of the people playing on PC have always on connections anyway. I can see where it would be a pain in the ass if you're traveling and playing on a laptop with no net connection, but other than that to me anyway it isn't that much more annoying then firing up steam, waiting for it's slow ass overlays and digging through a heavily populated list to pick what I'm in the mood to play if I don't have a desktop shortcut to it already.

43. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:48 Prez

If you are using a simplistic go/no-go test of "if it is DRM of any kind, then it is bad" then sure, they're the same. To anyone without such a narrow litmus test (which seems to be most here), the differences in how each service treats the gamer and what annoyances the user is forced to endure are as vast as the ocean. Really, it's so obvious that you almost have to be willfully dense to cast both services as the same beyond the inconsequential self-evident factoid that they are both a form of DRM.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

42. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:47 jacobvandy

Yeah, but Steam is much more user-friendly and functional, not to mention less intrusive... If you're like any of the perhaps 95% of people around here, Steam is where you have the lion's share of your [digital] game library and social contacts. You say "oh, so since Steam is the most popular, it gets a pass?" Yes and no...

It got as big as it did because it WORKS, and works well. It is NOT always-on DRM, it does NOT phone home to some server every single time you launch a game to find out whether you're allowed to play something, it is NOT integrated into core systems of the games you play in such a way that will render them UNPLAYABLE when the master server is unavailable... If you lose your internet connection after the program is already running, i.e. you've logged in, it doesn't lock you out. If you've logged in at least once on that computer, you don't even need to be online when you launch Steam, because it has an actual, working offline mode... Yadda yadda yadda.

Uplay is a pile of shit. And that's all beside the point that you seemed to have ignored -- it's 100% redundant for games owned and launched through Steam. It's Ubisoft blindly grasping for digital distribution market share, hoping you give a shit about their achievements and their online store and their friends list, when they've done nothing to make it less than a pain in the ass for the people who are forced to use it.

41. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 17:33 RollinThundr

Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:57:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:42:
Sempai wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 16:25:
And dare i say Gabe and his Steam portal need to grow a pair and stop allowing this 3rd party bullshit through their ALREADY PROVIDED DRM SERVICE.

I don't see what real difference it makes, you're already using DRM enriched Steam, it's not like Uplay is resource intensive. PC Gamers: BOO UBISOFT DRM! same breath oooo I'll buy <insert title here> on steam and play that!

You don't see the difference because how you classify Steam as somehow only being DRM (and intrusive at that, when it is NOTHING like Uplay ) is patently wrong.

I buy something on steam, I have to have steam running to play it. It's really not any different.

40. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 16:59 nin

edit: oh fuck it, I'll behave.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 16:57 Prez

And dare i say Gabe and his Steam portal need to grow a pair and stop allowing this 3rd party bullshit through their ALREADY PROVIDED DRM SERVICE.

I don't see what real difference it makes, you're already using DRM enriched Steam, it's not like Uplay is resource intensive. PC Gamers: BOO UBISOFT DRM! same breath oooo I'll buy <insert title here> on steam and play that!

You don't see the difference because how you classify Steam as somehow only being DRM (and intrusive at that, when it is NOTHING like Uplay ) is patently wrong.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

38. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 16:56 Mordecai Walfish

Because everyone should bask in the utter convenience of using multiple frontends/DRM clusterfucks to be a true PC Gamer!

37. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 16:42 RollinThundr

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo