Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround

The reddit community has presented a workaround for problems users were having playing Far Cry 3, as the shooter sequel is now available in Europe, saying simply setting the game's Uplay mode to "offline" allows it to be played even with the servers unavailable. As detailed on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, many users were unable to play due to Uplay servers being offline, leading to accusations of more Ubisoft always-on DRM. In the meantime, Eurogamer notes that besides the workaround, Ubi tweets that the servers are back: "Dear #FarCry3PC players, thank you for your patience, our servers are back up & running. Have fun playing!"

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

76. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 2, 2012, 04:17 Jerykk

all you have to ask yourself is: who in their right mind would want to go into a career making something which people consider fair game to steal? and openly?

People who enjoy their work and want people to experience it, I imagine. There have been numerous artists that have released their work for free. Artists are more concerned with their work, whereas studios and publishers are more concerned with profits. This is especially true in the games industry, where developers will never make as much money as music artists or movie stars. You don't make games to get rich. You make games because you love games.

I'm not condoning piracy or anything but your view of its impact is pretty skewed.

games have problems on launch. this must also be new to you.

You seem to treat this like it's acceptable or something. If you went to a restaurant and ordered a steak, you'd probably complain if the steak was under or overcooked. If you went to a movie and the first half hour of the movie had no sound, you'd probably complain too. Similarly, if I pay $50 for a game and can't play it for a day with full functionality because of a worthless DRM scheme, I'll probably complain. Consumers should get angry when the products and services they pay for don't meet expectations. Apathetic customers are just as bad as apathetic pirates.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2012, 04:25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 2, 2012, 04:00 Slick

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 17:10:
very amazed how many people posting on here openly admit to, and infact even encourage piracy.

Are you new to the Internet or something? That goes on EVERYWHERE.

lol. u right bro. can i be apart of your internet apathy party? it sounds cool.

there's no safety in numbers. "everyone's doin it" don't really fly.

the online servers went down, now they're up, i guess you've never seen that happen before? but look who i'm talking to, someone who obviously isn't "new to the internet".

So Ubi told its customers to go to offline mode, and then play. sounds like the end of the world if i've ever heard it. that's the kind of thing that makes a man go crazy and turn into a thief for GOOD REASONS.

games have problems on launch. this must also be new to you.

you'd better make sure to steal from the artists who made it to make yourself feel better though. i mean shit. everyone's doing it.

BOTTOM LINE:

if you want to steal from artists then you really don't need to try and justify it. AT ALL. it ends up coming off as sad. you're a thief. don't try and lie to me that you're doing it cause the evil corporation made you install an evil program. you're kidding yourself. be real. You're stealing from artists cause you think it's socially acceptable, and you'll get away with it, and don't matter who it hurts. that's it.

all you have to ask yourself is: who in their right mind would want to go into a career making something which people consider fair game to steal? and openly? i don't care that you don't seem to think that people are pirating games to screw devs. the fact is they are screwing devs. way to reward things you want to see more of in this world. from your words i'd say that you value assholes and would like to see them inherit the earth.

74. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 2, 2012, 03:14 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 10:10:
Yeah you're spot on, that was him alright. The exact words were "I wasn't exaggerating or kidding at all. I never have crashing problems, ever." Then he proceeded to blame people who mod their game and who don't know how to handle their computers. The whole thread pretty much called him out on the bullshit at that point and for amusement I linked a thread where he posted about Fallout 3 crashes he was having, proving that hes often so contrarian that he doesn't even agree with himself :D

It crashed during the 1.5 patch. Never crashed before that, never crashed after. I have always said exactly that. The comment below talked about crashing on day one, my answer was honest.

Same with Uplay. I have not had a problem. Am I saying problems do not exist? No. Am I saying you won't have any? No. I am speaking from personal experience, which is all I can do.

READING COMPREHENSION.

The simple fact is I don't have this problem anywhere else. I speak my mind and never lie and am mostly respected and have good debates. Only here do people label me as things (shill, anti-steam, contrarian) and fail to actually read what I write. The fact that's interesting from a social perspective is the only reason I occasionally still post.

73. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 2, 2012, 03:10 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 08:55:
Feel free to actually prove your accusations but I suspect you're thinking of someone else or making shit up.

Nope - it was you. I am pretty certain that I am not making up anything, but I have better things to do than sift through your post history. So whatever. And I didn't accuse you of lying per se, but you are a self-admitted contrarian. Don't tell me you deny defending Steam on GOG's forums (where I recognize you from your name and avatar) just because the prevalent attitude there is that it's invasive crap. You do the opposite here because the prevalent attitude is more to the opposite end of the spectrum. Personally I hate shit like that. You're just playing people for the fun of it.

I defend Steam on GOG because they are all worried about DRM, which is stupid on an open platform. I "attack" Steam here solely on the grounds of not wanting it to control everthing on the PC. If you really wanna research look at my posts on GOG on that same subject, I say the same shit. I just recently mocked people in the sales thread for only wanting to buy cheap amazon games if they are Steam keys. I told them putting all your eggs in one basket is stupid.

You guys paint me as different things because you sometimes don't like my opinions. I am admitted contrarian in the sense that I enjoy debate and if I have an opposite opinion I will point it out. I am not a contrarian in the sense I lie or pretend. MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

Read my shit and try to understand my opinions and you'll see I'm not just playing with people.

72. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 17:10 Prez

very amazed how many people posting on here openly admit to, and infact even encourage piracy.

Are you new to the Internet or something? That goes on EVERYWHERE. Honestly though, do you think that all of the people here are doing it only to screw devs? Or maybe, just maybe, they expect to be able to play the game they legally paid for and don't accept not being allowed to because some paranoid, cheese-eating surrender monkeys can't keep a server running?

BTW, no oftenest to my cheese-eating surrender monkey friends.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

71. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 16:58 nin

and people act suprized when devs only want to support console titles...

Yeah, theres piracy there at all.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

70. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 16:38 Slick

those sound designers, texture artists, level designers, concept artists, mo-cap actors, directors, writers, model designers who make these amazingly high quality AAA titles that we all love and have enhanced our lives throughout the years... yeah, you're kinda pissing on them when you say shit like: "well i wanted to get this game, it looks good, but a proprietary DRM is too much for me to handle my delicate sensibilities, i'll just pirate it."

some gamers are so small that they think shitting on the creative people who bring them what they love is somehow cool and accepted. fuck ubisoft! fuck those artists! they deserve nothing!

you know you need to pay for xbox live to play MP online right? that's a monthly paid DRM "service", isn't that a tad bit more offensive? say that to 70 million xbox users... good thing they still pay money for games, if the world was just left with PC gamers then there would be call of duty 12 and the sims 8 and that would be about it.

and people act suprized when devs only want to support console titles... cause of most of the PC gamers are selfish assholes. If you can't handle a little DRM then go play board games. These titles are some of the most complicated multi-million dollar pieces of living code on the planet, culminations of years of work by hundreds of creative, artistic, awsome people. if you don't wanna partake, that's your choice, but to advocate people "just pirate it" makes you out to be a douche of celestial proportions.

69. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 15:59 mag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl0Ys3DS870  

68. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 15:32 theyarecomingforyou

I'm in the UK and bought it from www.gamekeys4u.net - it sounds like a dodgy website but it has a very good score on TrustPilot and my brother and I both bought the game there and activated it on Steam without issue. It's annoying that Ubisoft has decided to mess things up with the Steam UK release but they did exactly the same thing with Far Cry 2 (it turned up around a week after launch).

As for the game, I'm really enjoying it so far. The graphics are exceptional and the gameplay is basically just Skyrim as a first person (i.e. it's brilliant). There are a few SLI / driver issues but I'm sure they'll be fixed promptly (at least SLI works, unlike Borderlands 2 at launch).

Here are a few screenshots:

Vass
Greenery
Hunting
Indoors

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

67. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 13:45 bubba ray

In response to Verno: it's really good. And I'm in the UK and absolutely not a pirate. Got the Insane Edition which has some lovely packaging too, which is nice! Takes the best parts of the last one (which I enjoyed - apart from 'you know what')and makes them better. Looks fantastic, the 'feel' of the character is outstanding and it runs really well, with the usual caveat (on a decent system).

Chris

66. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 12:35 Dades

Ok read up on it a bit more. You can link games to your uplay account but for games on Steam you will need to launch them from Steam itself instead of Uplay. I assume this is for DRM purposes but I suppose its a better solution than Origin where you can't get the games at all on competing services.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

65. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 10:26 Dades

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 02:30:
Yeah, Uplay is pretty worthless like that. You have to instal and run a game before Uplay lets you link it to your account. If you bought the game from Steam, you can't link the game to your Uplay account.

What the hell is the point of having a digital client if you can't even properly link games to it? Skipping this if it means I have to use yet another digital client.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

64. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 10:10 Verno

Nope - it was you. I am pretty certain that I am not making up anything, but I have better things to do than sift through your post history. So whatever. And I didn't accuse you of lying per se, but you are a self-admitted contrarian. Don't tell me you deny defending Steam on GOG's forums (where I recognize you from your name and avatar) just because the prevalent attitude there is that it's invasive crap. You do the opposite here because the prevalent attitude is more to the opposite end of the spectrum. Personally I hate shit like that. You're just playing people for the fun of it.

Yeah you're spot on, that was him alright. The exact words were "I wasn't exaggerating or kidding at all. I never have crashing problems, ever." Then he proceeded to blame people who mod their game and who don't know how to handle their computers. The whole thread pretty much called him out on the bullshit at that point and for amusement I linked a thread where he posted about Fallout 3 crashes he was having, proving that hes often so contrarian that he doesn't even agree with himself

Sigh... It's really frustrating when hive minds can't handle hearing individual experience and opinion. All they want is their perspective on the world regurgitated. Everything else must be a lie.

That's some borderline quack stuff dude but ok. It's also really frustrating when someones supposedly original opinions just happen to be opposition bait on nearly every discussion

Anyways he's had his attention fix for awhile so getting back to Far Cry 3, how is it pirates?

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2012, 10:59.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

63. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 09:24 Omni

Reloaded.

Meep meep

62. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 08:55 Prez

Feel free to actually prove your accusations but I suspect you're thinking of someone else or making shit up.

And give it a rest with the hive mind crap - it's BS. It's not that true dissenting scenarios are to be dismissed outright, but in your case your opinions and supposed experiences have historically been very obviously formulated for the express purpose of simply running contrary to everyone else's and thus are automatically suspect. It seems to me that there are actually very few blind Steam fanboy apologists here. I am probably closer to anyone here to a Steam fanboy but I still give other services a fair shake (though admittedly I despise EA so I'd rather not use Origin - thankfully it sucks complete ass so no loss there) and I bash Valve on the many things they do wrong and on the ongoing issues with Steam that they STILL have yet to fix. The fact of the matter remains, however, that unless you are vehemently anti-DRM (in which case GOG or Impulse may be more your thing), chances are you would agree Steam is far and away the best digital delivery service and game platform by a HUGE margin. Frankly it is mystifying to me that with Valve having (very publicly) learned all of the lessons in digital service delivery the hard way that other late-comers like EA and Ubisoft still can't make a platform that comes close. You would think that they could take those hard-learned lessons and create something much better than the crappy services that they currently are running.

In the end for most of us I think it comes down to convenience and plain common sense. Why bother with juggling multiple inferior services when you can just stick with the best one with the largest library that practically everyone (i.e. all of your gaming friends) is already on?

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2012, 13:53.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 07:59 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 07:54:
More like rabid internet contrarian but whatever, thanks for sharing with us your uplay experience. I think I'll go with the documented evidence pointing the other way though, ciao!

Sigh... It's really frustrating when hive minds can't handle hearing individual experience and opinion. All they want is their perspective on the world regurgitated. Everything else must be a lie.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2012, 08:13.

60. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 07:59 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 05:00:
I could believe it in other games, but not FO3, sorry. Not at launch. In fact, I'm fairly certain that when the last time this was discussed, someone went back in your post history and found threads where you detailed problems with FO3 you yourself had despite your claims. It was pretty much proven to me at that point you just like being a contrarian. If someone says "up", you say "down". I loved FO3, despite it not being everyone's favorite, but it has nothing to do with saying whatever is socially acceptable.

I can't recall any serious issues with Bethesda games outside of one patch for Fallout 3 that made it start crashing a bit, but it was a later one, 1.5 I think. I don't think people are lying when they call Bethesda games bug-filled messes, I just think their experience is more in a minority than they think it is, or have less well-kept computers.

I have no reason to lie, it amuses me people here think I do.

59. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 07:54 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 02:45:

...okay?

Am I a rabid DRM hater this week or a rabid DRM defender? I forget which agenda I supposedly have sometimes.

More like rabid internet contrarian but whatever, thanks for sharing with us your uplay experience. I think I'll go with the documented evidence pointing the other way though, ciao!

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

58. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 05:00 Prez

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 02:47:
Prez wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 15:51:
I like you SV but after your claim some time ago that you didn't have a single pre-patch issue with Fallout 3 I take any claim from you of this nature with an ocean's worth of salt.

Well I didn't. Should I lie and pretend I did? I'm not sure what the socially acceptable thing to do is here I guess.

Fucking Fallout 3! It's always... crashing! Or something!

I could believe it in other games, but not FO3, sorry. Not at launch. In fact, I'm fairly certain that when the last time this was discussed, someone went back in your post history and found threads where you detailed problems with FO3 you yourself had despite your claims. It was pretty much proven to me at that point you just like being a contrarian. If someone says "up", you say "down". I loved FO3, despite it not being everyone's favorite, but it has nothing to do with saying whatever is socially acceptable.

And Uplay does not handle disconnects like Steam from what I've seen. I had multiple disconnects playing Borderlands 2 (a steamworks game) and aside from the brief message that the game had lost connection with the Steam servers, and another when it was re-established, it didn't affect my game at all. When Uplay went down, I was kicked out of the game with all progress lost. The RPS article details that Far Cry 3 crashed every time when the Uplay connection was lost, and that has been echoed by many others. Definitely NOT like Steam. If the offline mode somewhat works, great. That makes it like Steam in that regard I guess. All I know is that when I tried the Uplay service it was horrendous - somewhere between Origin and GFWL in sheer awfulness (I know, you never had a single issue with either. ). Steam, when it was in its infancy wasn't exactly a walk in the park either, but today it works amazingly well for me in most respects, thus giving me little reason to go back to a crappy service like Uplay after such a terrible first impression.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2012, 05:14.

- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Dec 1, 2012, 02:49 StingingVelvet

Quboid wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 20:26:
Does the "offline mode" work-around not work 100%?

If it does, this isn't always-on DRM. If there's a button saying "I don't want your DRM to be on", then it's not always-on DRM. It may still be shitty, which is why I'm on the fence about buying it (especially as it's not on Steam, which I quite like), just not always-on.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet but I attached about 8 games to the Uplay client and played some games through it. It seemed to work exactly the same as Steam, there is an offline mode and every game (even previously always online ones) launched through offline mode with the internet unplugged.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo