Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions

There's a new interview on PC Gamer talking with Markus "Notch" Persson of Mojang about 0x10c, their upcoming space game. He discusses the current state of the game, how alpha testing will commence "as soon as it's fun," how the art is shaping up, and more. He also talks business, saying it is likely they will attempt a subscription model while allowing for the possibility they might change this if players want a free-to-play system. He also answers a question about how the PC will do alongside next generation consoles:

Itís very interesting to try and think about that. The console manufacturers need to focus on things that are just entertainment. Because if you want to watch Netflix and play games then you can do that more efficiently on a PC, especially if you hook it up to a TV. Now we have the Steam Big Picture stuff, we can actually get the TV experience in an easy way. Before it was all special cable and weird nonsense but now itís definitely doable. And so I think [console manufacturers] need to focusÖ I mean the 3DS for example has custom hardware and itís built to be in your pocket. Instead of just being this is a way to play games on your TV, it has to be more than that somehow.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 02:09 Jensen

Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 23:26:
I'm guessing the language/api isn't going to be as complex as you think. I remember an old game where you "programmed" mining robots with really simple routines. There are a few very simple flash games like that too.
Isn't it low level programming on an (old, slow) emulated CPU? I think the community will have to make compilers for other languages.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 02:04 Jensen

Dades wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:58:
With all of the money and success from Minecraft he can afford some production value now, right?
He can afford to not make money on a game, too. He likes creating and programming games. I don't think he wants to manage a huge project with several people working under him.

From what I've seen, he'd rather invest his money in other gaming companies (like when he offered to fund Psychonauts 2)

20. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 00:12:
You people are way too bitter. First you complain about games being too derivative these days, then you complain about someone making a game in what's practically a new genre.

Make up your minds and figure out what you want. You can't bitch at the EAs of the world and then bitch at the Notches of the world at the same time.

If someone made a game about taking a crap while riding a bicycle, it'd be new, but does that automatically make it worthy of praise? I'm not bashing the guy for making something new, I'm genuinely asking what exactly he thinks is going to be interesting about this... thing he's doing.

Creston

19. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 01:08 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:13:
Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:38:
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what part of this game appeals to anyone. Is it maybe the "you can program a computer in the ship" thing?

Because everything else seems lame as hell, and now he wants to add a subscription on top of it. Oooookay.

Creston

It supposed to be a space sandbox with user created ships and user programmable ship systems. You saw what people did with Minecraft, creating complex machines and programmable computers when given just the basic materials and systems. I think a lot of people who "don't get" Minecraft just see the lego aspect of it when really it's much more about the systems (water, lava, redstone, plants, etc). I suspect the same thing with 0x10c, Notch wants to put some systems in place that will allow gamers to tinker and make their own gameplay.

On the programmable aspect it's going to be fun to see the sites that spring up to share the best repair/combat/mining/etc algos or you can attempt to make your own, or modify and improve someone else's.

I bet they don't go with a subscription, or it will be something like a premium ship, etc. Even if there is a subscription he has said before that it wouldn't be an MMO price range but more like just a few bucks.

But with Minecraft, even if I didn't get the underlying systems and how they all worked together, I could still build something cool with Legos (essentially.)

In this game, first of, who exactly CAN program stuff on his ship's computers, and second, who's really going to, say, program an emulator inside the game when they could just do so outside of the game and have some actual use for it?

But not regarding that, what is there beyond that particular thing? Because so far it seems like a really crappy version of Quake Lite. (and yes, I realize it's in pre-alpha.)

As for the graphics, he's apparently hired a texture artist for this game in particular.

Creston

18. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 01:07 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 01:02:
You people are way too bitter. First you complain about games being too derivative these days, then you complain about someone making a game in what's practically a new genre.

Make up your minds and figure out what you want. You can't bitch at the EAs of the world and then bitch at the Notches of the world at the same time.

New genre? Space games are new?
Ones where you're programming a real time computer that is executing instructions whether you're online or not? Yeah, I'd call that new.

17. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 Cutter

New genre? Space games are new?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

16. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 00:58 Fletch

ViRGE wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:37:
Fletch wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:08:
Subscription? Kiss my ass, Notch.

The multiverse concept as planned requires a persistent server backend. What were you expecting?

I dunno... blocks in space, with laser pickaxes and space creepers, I guess.

15. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 30, 2012, 00:12 ViRGE

14. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 23:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:26:
Kiss my crotch, Notch! Wow, he turned into Joe Sellout in record time didn't he?

He was a sellout before hand. If it wasn't for 4chan, he wouldn't be where he is.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 23:27 Sepharo

Dades wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:58:
Is the game going to have programmer graphics that are never replaced again? I'm not a huge graphics whore but I like decent looking space games and they aren't particularly difficult to make for artists. With all of the money and success from Minecraft he can afford some production value now, right?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

May as well let the community make their own textures just like Minecraft.

12. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 23:26 Sepharo

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:54:
The .01% of the audience that can program the computer will love it. I'm sorry, but just "whipping up" an emulator that plays games, or making navigational software for flying the ship isn't going to be something a lot of people are going to be able to do. Seems like a pretty tiny niche audience to go after.

I'm guessing the language/api isn't going to be as complex as you think. I remember an old game where you "programmed" mining robots with really simple routines. There are a few very simple flash games like that too.

11. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 22:58 Dades

Is the game going to have programmer graphics that are never replaced again? I'm not a huge graphics whore but I like decent looking space games and they aren't particularly difficult to make for artists. With all of the money and success from Minecraft he can afford some production value now, right?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

10. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 22:54 Beelzebud

The .01% of the audience that can program the computer will love it. I'm sorry, but just "whipping up" an emulator that plays games, or making navigational software for flying the ship isn't going to be something a lot of people are going to be able to do. Seems like a pretty tiny niche audience to go after.

I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the game fleshes out, if it all, because right now there is nothing that I would pay a subscription fee for.

9. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 22:13 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:38:
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what part of this game appeals to anyone. Is it maybe the "you can program a computer in the ship" thing?

Because everything else seems lame as hell, and now he wants to add a subscription on top of it. Oooookay.

Creston

It supposed to be a space sandbox with user created ships and user programmable ship systems. You saw what people did with Minecraft, creating complex machines and programmable computers when given just the basic materials and systems. I think a lot of people who "don't get" Minecraft just see the lego aspect of it when really it's much more about the systems (water, lava, redstone, plants, etc). I suspect the same thing with 0x10c, Notch wants to put some systems in place that will allow gamers to tinker and make their own gameplay.

On the programmable aspect it's going to be fun to see the sites that spring up to share the best repair/combat/mining/etc algos or you can attempt to make your own, or modify and improve someone else's.

I bet they don't go with a subscription, or it will be something like a premium ship, etc. Even if there is a subscription he has said before that it wouldn't be an MMO price range but more like just a few bucks.

8. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 21:43 WyldKat

Subscription games are a thing of the past, Guild Wars 2 has proved it. Not even EA's behemoth The Old Republic could even make subscriptions work for one year. Also it's a fair point to mention that Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous will have multiplayer (with Star Citizen actually having an MMO component) and neither will have subscriptions.

I think Notch is seriously over valuing 0x10c if he thinks it's worthy of a subscription over higher quality games, even ones in 0x10c's genre.

7. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 21:28 noman

PHJF wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:32:
Before it was all special cable and weird nonsense but now itís definitely doable.

Yes, s-video cables were special and weird and complete nonsense.

Yes, I didn't understand that comment either. I have been running a gaming HTPC with HDMI out for a while. What has Steam got to do with which cable I may or may not need?

Most games support a DirectInput or XInput controller perfectly fine, and 10-foot interface is common both in games and media applications (WMC, XBMC) The only new thing I found with Steam's 10-foot interface was the ability to use a controller to navigate through the steam app. But then, an MCE remote has worked fine for years and the directional keys support works out much better than holding a controller. Also using a remote has a much better WAF.

6. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 20:52 DangerDog

I've watched a few of the dev videos showing off the progress of this thing and I'm not seeing anything that would make me want to pay a subscription to it let alone buy it.

Limit Theory looks much more promising, being made by one guy.

5. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 20:38 Creston

Creston

4. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 20:37 ViRGE

Fletch wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 20:08:
Subscription? Kiss my ass, Notch.

The multiverse concept as planned requires a persistent server backend. What were you expecting?

3. Re: Notch on 0x10c Subscriptions Nov 29, 2012, 20:32 PHJF

Before it was all special cable and weird nonsense but now itís definitely doable.

Yes, s-video cables were special and weird and complete nonsense.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo