Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age 3 in 2014?

Gamer's Hell reports a tidbit about Dragon Age III: Inquisition they say appeared in the LinkedIn profile for EA Shanghai designer Tao Gu before the men in black arrived and erased the profile (they are probably coming to wipe your brain if you viewed it). According to the site, the now excised post had word that the RPG sequel is now expected in 2014 to take advantage of the next-generation consoles (the next next-generation, not the current one). Here's word: "Scope of the DAIII has been chaged [sic], which will target next gen platform and will be postpone to 2014."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 30, 2012, 09:02 InBlack

Yeah but imagine if DA:O had instead had the title Baldur's Gate 3?? 1 HUNDRD GAZZILLION COPYZ SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Shame really that DA2 was such a crappy dumbed down POS. DA:O was really half-decent. I liked it much better than Mass Effect in any case.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 30, 2012, 08:45 nin

but it really shows that they intended the setting to be in the Forgotten Realms or some other D&D setting and then since they didnt pay the (probably astronomical) licence fees

I suspected it was more that they wanted to create their own world, and not have to have everything signed off on (for a lore/story/gameplay standpoint) by an outside entity.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

39. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 30, 2012, 03:23 InBlack

DA1 was ok, but it really shows that they intended the setting to be in the Forgotten Realms or some other D&D setting and then since they didnt pay the (probably astronomical) licence fees it was just another generic fantasy setting complete with different types of elves and Orcs quickly redone into Draugr (or whateveer they were called)  

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 30, 2012, 01:24 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:15:
edaciousx wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:04:
Hey guys lets at least give them some credit where it's due. What other game company has released a computer game in the past 5 years that is on the level as DA1? Plus... they are pushing DX11 as well. That's a computer only feature too... well for now at least right? But yes, DA2 < DA1.

DA1 sucked too. DA2 went from bad to worse. So no, no credit is due. BiowarEA has been dead a long time now. This game is being designed from the ground up solely for console gamers so why should we give a rats ass? I could care less about them and their crappy games anymore.

Sigh... Yeah, I'm jumping on board with this too. Mechanically DA1 worked fine, and was even enjoyable at times. But the setting and the story... Yeah... it blew. It was generic. There were hints of gold there (Leliana & her little DLC campaign) but jesus it was derivative of Western/Tolkein fantasy. I'd always get 3/4 of the way through the game and choke on the monotony of it all.

I think I literally got 2 hours into DA2 when I put it down, unwilling to continue even though I only spent like 9 bucks on it.

I think my big problem is that it's just too goddamn generic. Considering the world-building that Bioware did even with Mass Effect, DA felt like nobody had any more ideas, so they went back to Ye Olde Greyhawk Campaign Setting and hit cut & paste to fill in the interesting parts of the world they came up with.

37. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 18:41 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:56:
Honestly man, I thought it sucked. The one thing I actually liked about DA2 was the Qunari. Now they were interesting. I liked their philosophy and why they were there. There was nothing about DA1 I liked in fact I've pretty much forgotten it already. If Bioware could go back to making proper PC CRPGs designed with real RPG players in mind utilizing the Qunari now that would be something to see. Meanwhile we're all just waiting for Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Project Eternity. I can't wait to stick those in EAs fucking craw and say 'See you fuckers, this is what REAL rpg fans want!' Then watch Ray and company cry in shame over the sellouts they've become.

I don't think real (real? really?) RPG fans had a problem with Dragon Age, at least the first game. Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 aren't going to cause any headaches for EA, either, considering neither will make enough money to make a major publisher sweat...and if they do, they'll probably just buy the company that made the game anyway.

I also have the feeling that if these weren't Kickstart projects there'd be another run of, "I hope they don't fuck this up", or "Another Obsidian bug fest" instead of talking about Showing the Man How It's Done.

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 18:37 Julio

Maybe they'll just reuse one dungeon for DA3.  

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 18:07 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:42:
They're using Frostbite 2, it was announced at the same time they showed some incredibly vague concept art. I'm not sure that's good for anything other than visuals though. Frostbite 2 is very unfriendly to modding and there are practically no community unpackers for its file formats. I suspect this is a centralize dev time and save money by allowing multiple studios to interact on the game thing.

Well, the Frostbite 2 engine is pretty damn good for FPS, dunno how good it'll be for something like DA. I guess the C&C game will come out before DA3, which should give some idea on how well it'll function.

Still, the engine was never really the problem with DA2, so while I'm not disappointed they are switching, I'm not going to assume it'll make anything better. Since I'm going back and replaying the BG series (I caved and picked it up), it's hard to imagine we'll see anything that good at this point. I'll settle for as good as DA1 - but even that's not terribly likely.

34. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 17:47 HorrorScope

DA series... It's really bad to be a blood mage, luckily there are only a few. Then around every corner everyone turns out to be a closet Blood Mage (aka The Thing). Over and over to the point if you weren't a blood mage, you were special.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 17:56.

33. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 17:04 Prez

I found Dragon Age Origins to be the best RPG I had played since Baldur's Gate 2. The Witcher was close. It still remains one of the top 10 RPG's I've ever played easily.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 16:51 Ozmodan

Well I hope they don't plan on waiting for Sony's next gen console because there is a darn good chance the company won't be around then. Even if they are still around they won't have enough money to invest in one.  

31. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 16:25 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:56:
nin wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:37:

DA1 sucked too.

DA1 was the last good thing bioware did.

Honestly man, I thought it sucked. The one thing I actually liked about DA2 was the Qunari. Now they were interesting. I liked their philosophy and why they were there. There was nothing about DA1 I liked in fact I've pretty much forgotten it already. If Bioware could go back to making proper PC CRPGs designed with real RPG players in mind utilizing the Qunari now that would be something to see. Meanwhile we're all just waiting for Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Project Eternity. I can't wait to stick those in EAs fucking craw and say 'See you fuckers, this is what REAL rpg fans want!' Then watch Ray and company cry in shame over the sellouts they've become.

I think Ray is currently taste-testing all the Earth's beers, so I doubt he'll be doing much crying.

Creston

30. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 15:56 Cutter

nin wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:37:

DA1 sucked too.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

29. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 15:53 Creston

KS wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:04:
DA2 was the button-masher that couldn't even button-mash correctly. Here's "gameplay":

Mages fire off everthing and run into a corner. Melee move to block for them. Enemies disappear using magic thief invisibility power. Cross fingers they backstab, er, frontstab melee instead of oneshotting mages.

If mages oneshotted, reload.

If melee half-shotted, melee scrape away, giant swords doing tiny fraction of the damage the thieves knives do. Mages do nothing waiting for their attacks, the real ones, to recycle.

Thieves do another invis cycle. Mages not recycled yet. Cross fingers thieves attack melee not mages, reloading accordingly.

If melee take second round of magical atomic bomb thief frontstabs, they are dead or close to it. Mages cast second round of their attacks finally, cross your fingers, there won't be a third round.

There was so much Awesome in that, I'm amazed the space/time continuum didn't tear. It's gotta be tough to be a Bioware employee, and to know that you can make stuff this Awesome, and then have to share it with an unsuspecting world. How do you cope with being responsible for so much Awesome? Truly, they are Gods among men.

Creston

28. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 15:52 Creston

What other game company has released a computer game in the past 5 years that is on the level as DA1?

Purely RPG wise? Let's see... There the Witcher, of course, and then the Witcher 2. There was Skyrim. There was Fallout : New Vegas.

And then in the "not as good, but probably just as ambitious", there was Risen and Risen 2, and there was Divinity 2, and there was Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2.

But in any case, few people had complaints about DA:O, except for the console horde who all whined that it was waaaaaay too difficult, because you couldn't just hit a button and Win.

Creston

27. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 15:00 Draugr

Hey guys lets at least give them some credit where it's due. What other game company has released a computer game in the past 5 years that is on the level as DA1? Plus... they are pushing DX11 as well. That's a computer only feature too... well for now at least right? But yes, DA2 < DA1.

It WAS a computer only feature, if this is coming out on 'next gen' consoles, then they will undoudbetly be running DX11.1

So no, it's not a concession for PCs at all.

26. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:55 Draugr

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:48:
We knew that already anyway. The deep hardcore RPG doesn't get enough sales to make EA happy. But have they said they're keeping the iconic look? I thought they had said they were going to go back to allowing you to put armor on your companions?

Their solution is making sure ANY armor you equip to them looks distinct and matches their 'iconic look.' While still signifying a change.

To me that reads that they're wasting a bunch of time and resources on something meaningless. Why a company is concerned with something like this, when the previous game in the series suffered from copy and paste dungeons, supposedly due to time and resource constraints, is beyond me! This actually highlights biowares problem, as people mentioned, they seem to be worried about all the wrong things.

All they seem to be willing to discuss is how DA3 will look, until they can explain to me what gameplay changes they are bringing to the table if any, then I'm just assuming it's going to be the terribleness that was da2 with probably less copy and pasted dungeons. - That certainly does not address all my concerns.

Like people have said, Bioware likes to pretend they take feedback into account, but nothing has really ever indicated they do.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 14:42 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:00:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:52:
Haven't they stated DA3 will use BF3's engine, big open world.

I don't recall hearing that. The next Mass Effect game has been announced to use the BF3 engine tho'.

They're using Frostbite 2, it was announced at the same time they showed some incredibly vague concept art. I'm not sure that's good for anything other than visuals though. Frostbite 2 is very unfriendly to modding and there are practically no community unpackers for its file formats. I suspect this is a centralize dev time and save money by allowing multiple studios to interact on the game thing.

It's a shame, they spent years building the DA1 engine and editor tools then...did nothing with them

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 14:53.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

24. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:37 nin

DA1 sucked too.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:15 Cutter

DA1 sucked too. DA2 went from bad to worse. So no, no credit is due. BiowarEA has been dead a long time now. This game is being designed from the ground up solely for console gamers so why should we give a rats ass? I could care less about them and their crappy games anymore.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:14 Yakubs

What other game company has released a computer game in the past 5 years that is on the level as DA1?

Not sure if serious...

DA1 was mediocre just comparing it to other cRPGs, let alone comparing it to all computer games released in the past 5 years.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo