Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age 3 in 2014?

Gamer's Hell reports a tidbit about Dragon Age III: Inquisition they say appeared in the LinkedIn profile for EA Shanghai designer Tao Gu before the men in black arrived and erased the profile (they are probably coming to wipe your brain if you viewed it). According to the site, the now excised post had word that the RPG sequel is now expected in 2014 to take advantage of the next-generation consoles (the next next-generation, not the current one). Here's word: "Scope of the DAIII has been chaged [sic], which will target next gen platform and will be postpone to 2014."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 14:05 NegaDeath

Bhruic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:00:
I don't recall hearing that. The next Mass Effect game has been announced to use the BF3 engine tho'.

He's right they're using it for both. Not that it means much at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:04 edaciousx

Hey guys lets at least give them some credit where it's due. What other game company has released a computer game in the past 5 years that is on the level as DA1? Plus... they are pushing DX11 as well. That's a computer only feature too... well for now at least right? But yes, DA2 < DA1.  

19. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 14:04 KS

DA2 was the button-masher that couldn't even button-mash correctly. Here's "gameplay":

Mages fire off everthing and run into a corner. Melee move to block for them. Enemies disappear using magic thief invisibility power. Cross fingers they backstab, er, frontstab melee instead of oneshotting mages.

If mages oneshotted, reload.

If melee half-shotted, melee scrape away, giant swords doing tiny fraction of the damage the thieves knives do. Mages do nothing waiting for their attacks, the real ones, to recycle.

Thieves do another invis cycle. Mages not recycled yet. Cross fingers thieves attack melee not mages, reloading accordingly.

If melee take second round of magical atomic bomb thief frontstabs, they are dead or close to it. Mages cast second round of their attacks finally, cross your fingers, there won't be a third round.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 14:00 Bhruic

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:52:
Haven't they stated DA3 will use BF3's engine, big open world.

I don't recall hearing that. The next Mass Effect game has been announced to use the BF3 engine tho'.

17. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 13:54 ldonyo

I just don't care what BioWare does anymore. EA has ruined what little is left of them, as they have done to every studio they've ever purchased.  

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 13:52 HorrorScope

Haven't they stated DA3 will use BF3's engine, big open world. That it will also take things that worked in DA1 and DA2? It's one of those wait and see things. Putting all the above together correctly can make a very good game.  

15. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 13:36 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:04:
Except of course, Bioware doesn't believe that. They firmly hold to the story that Dragon Age 2 sold extremely well and that they were very happy with its sales.

Doesn't believe it and doesn't say so publicly are two different things. They've got access to the real numbers, I'm sure they indicate that DA2 didn't improve sales vs DA1, and they are aware of at least some of the reasons why. If nothing else, the increased development time should ensure we don't get the massive repeating levels from DA2. Hopefully they'll improve the other game mechanics - enemy spawns being the major one that needs improving.

14. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 13:36 KS

The storyline was fine. It was the asinine console-oriented gameplay that sucked. This openly console-designed nature of upcoming 3 exposes that even more.

I can't blame them for hedging risk by building to the much larger console market, but at least I know it ahead of time so I can skip this POS.

I don't want a handful of buttons to mash. I want lots of powers and deep, rich strategies.

Being forced to stand in a small room with bad guys and no strategy options in the childlike "scrape away at each other" combat model...with slowly recycling powers, what the fuck!?!?!

13. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 13:04 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:51:
Iconic looks is just code for lazy modeling and animation. Development shortcuts and laziness were the biggest complaints leveled at DA2, if they do it again in DA3 they could potentially kill the franchise, the negative word of mouth had a very real effect on the post launch sales and that will carry over.

Except of course, Bioware doesn't believe that. They firmly hold to the story that Dragon Age 2 sold extremely well and that they were very happy with its sales.

(It's gotta suck to have to cowtow to the EA party line.)

Creston

12. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:57 NegaDeath

No more day 1 purchases for Bioware stuff, I'll wait until user reviews. If the finished game reverses their trend of wholesale gutting of features I'll give it a look.  

11. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:51 Verno

Iconic looks is just code for lazy modeling and animation. Development shortcuts and laziness were the biggest complaints leveled at DA2, if they do it again in DA3 they could potentially kill the franchise, the negative word of mouth had a very real effect on the post launch sales and that will carry over.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:48 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:28:
Well the issue is Creston, they run their social site like state run propaganda. The BDF (Bioware Defense Force) is allowed to make personal attacks and the devs, at least at the time encouraged it, and if you gave it back to them, Priestly is quick with the ban hammer.

It's their website, they can run it the way they want to. I really never saw devs or moderators attack anyone, but to be fair I never really hung out all that much on it after ME3's release anyway, except for the ME3 MP forum. (which, in itself, was basically 10 people sucking Eric Fagnan's dick and bleating the retarded "every power and every weapon doing the exact same amount of damage will guarantee longevity of the game!" horseshit mantra, and everyone else saying they were a bunch of fucking toolbags and they needed to stop sucking Bioware dick.)

A quick browse through the spoiler forum still shows the "OMG RAINBOWS AND PUPPIES!" crowd vs the "YOU GUYS NEED TO DIE OF EBOLA FOR RUINING MY LIFE!" people.

The fact alone that they're keeping "Iconic looks" for companions in 3 rather than allowing the player to customize like every deep rpg in existence prior to DA2 screams pretty loudly that the days of the old Bioware that actually made deep engaging RPG's with plenty of user choice are long gone.

We knew that already anyway. The deep hardcore RPG doesn't get enough sales to make EA happy. But have they said they're keeping the iconic look? I thought they had said they were going to go back to allowing you to put armor on your companions?

Because remember todays demographic can't identify with a companion/NPC unless they're wearing the same outfit for the entire game. Personality and building character depth is less important than Isabella for example being dressed like a pirate hooker for the whole game, otherwise how is the player supposed to know she's a pirate that's kinda on the slutty side?

MOAR DAVID GAIDER SEXY SCENES OF COURSE!!1!!!

Creston

9. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:28 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:13:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:03:
Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:43:
Less awesome button, more gameplay. Also less poorly written Whedon wannabe stuff and teenage level sexual encounters. The first Dragon Age suffered quite a bit from it too but they really went nuts with Merill in DA2.

It's funny, now that I think about it Dragon Age 3 is one of the few games where I just want less of everything in the previous game. Combat waves, silly dialogue wheel, etc.

It's David Gaider doing the writing, not sure what you expected, having been stupid enough to waste months on their social site trying to convince the devs not to go the route they went with DA2, and seeing first hand how much of a childish douche the guy is, along with how fragile Bioware devs seem to be when it comes to criticism I don't have high hopes for DA3. And this is coming from someone who puts DA:Origins high on the list of solid games the last few years.

I don't know what happened to Gaider. He used to be a really cool, down-to-earth guy, and he wrote some really, REALLY good stuff. I guess the success went to his head or something... :\
(though to be fair, anyone would turn into a cynical bastard if he/she was exposed to the Bioware social forums on a day to day basis. It seems split down the middle between the fanboys to whom Bioware can do no wrong and who say that they thought the ending was great and that Leviathan was how all DLC should be made, and the people who hate everything Bioware does now. There no longer seems to be a middle ground.)

Creston

Well the issue is Creston, they run their social site like state run propaganda. The BDF (Bioware Defense Force) is allowed to make personal attacks and the devs, at least at the time encouraged it, and if you gave it back to them, Priestly is quick with the ban hammer.

The fact alone that they're keeping "Iconic looks" for companions in 3 rather than allowing the player to customize like every deep rpg in existence prior to DA2 screams pretty loudly that the days of the old Bioware that actually made deep engaging RPG's with plenty of user choice are long gone. Because remember todays demographic can't identify with a companion/NPC unless they're wearing the same outfit for the entire game. Personality and building character depth is less important than Isabella for example being dressed like a pirate hooker for the whole game, otherwise how is the player supposed to know she's a pirate that's kinda on the slutty side?

8. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:13 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:03:
Less awesome button, more gameplay. Also less poorly written Whedon wannabe stuff and teenage level sexual encounters. The first Dragon Age suffered quite a bit from it too but they really went nuts with Merill in DA2.

It's funny, now that I think about it Dragon Age 3 is one of the few games where I just want less of everything in the previous game. Combat waves, silly dialogue wheel, etc.

It's David Gaider doing the writing, not sure what you expected, having been stupid enough to waste months on their social site trying to convince the devs not to go the route they went with DA2, and seeing first hand how much of a childish douche the guy is, along with how fragile Bioware devs seem to be when it comes to criticism I don't have high hopes for DA3. And this is coming from someone who puts DA:Origins high on the list of solid games the last few years.

I don't know what happened to Gaider. He used to be a really cool, down-to-earth guy, and he wrote some really, REALLY good stuff. I guess the success went to his head or something... :\
(though to be fair, anyone would turn into a cynical bastard if he/she was exposed to the Bioware social forums on a day to day basis. It seems split down the middle between the fanboys to whom Bioware can do no wrong and who say that they thought the ending was great and that Leviathan was how all DLC should be made, and the people who hate everything Bioware does now. There no longer seems to be a middle ground.)

Creston

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 HorrorScope

Please be less load screens. Please be less load screens.  

6. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:08 Prez

If it is more like Origins, and if it is on Steam, I'll buy. Otherwise forget it. Bioware gets ZERO benefit of the doubt from me after how badly they've screwed up in recent years. Only Blizzard has fallen farther faster in my eyes. Such a terrible shame.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:03 RollinThundr

4. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 11:01 Darks

How about less Origin and more Steam. Origins platform is atrocious for their games.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 10:51 InBlack

Dragon Age 3. Now brought to you by EA Shanghai*

*outsourcing games is cool isnt it!

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 10:49 Creston

On the one hand, this means they have at least 14 more months of dev time. On the other hand, if all they're going to do with this dev time is just sit on it and port it as-is for the new consoles, (ie, pull a Dragon Age: Origins) then that'd suck.

I agree with Verno. More Origins, and get rid of all the dumb horseshit you put in DA2.

Creston

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo