Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Windows. Dec 4, 2012, 14:46 Mashiki Amiketo

Ant wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:15:
Yeah, Metro. Usability sucks for desktops and non-touch screen laptops/notebooks!
Bloody true on that one. Nuking it from orbit is the only way to be sure.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Windows. Dec 3, 2012, 20:15 Ant

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:13:
Ant wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 04:45:
8 is worse than Vista. Me is worse than Vista. Vista isn't that bad. Yes, it has issues.
It is? Well if you're counting metro. Remove metro, and I'm actually happier with it than Win7.
Yeah, Metro. Usability sucks for desktops and non-touch screen laptops/notebooks!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

31. Re: Windows. Dec 3, 2012, 20:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Ant wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 04:45:
8 is worse than Vista. Me is worse than Vista. Vista isn't that bad. Yes, it has issues.
It is? Well if you're counting metro. Remove metro, and I'm actually happier with it than Win7.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Windows. Dec 2, 2012, 04:45 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2012, 13:24 DG

InBlack wrote on Nov 30, 2012, 04:31:
It was bloated beyond belief, required significant hardware resources,
Mostly just looked like it did because it threw stuff into free ram in case it might speed up the next thing you're going to do. This made it look like it was using up a lot of ram but really all that stuff could be flushed instantly so was still free.

had a horrible file indexing system and oh yeah did I mention that it was bloated beyond belief?

True this was crap, but the HDD system isn't that much better with W7 either since it can take forever to display the contents of a folder that's not been opened for a while, even with thumbnails disabled.

Dont forget the absolute retarded but typical corporate bullshit with Vista being required for DirectX 10!!

W7 didn't change anything about needing Vista or newer for DX10...

Sure Windows7 is what Vista was supposed to be at launch, but I still say fuck Microsoft for releasing a half-assed product.
Again though the only reason W7 isn't half-assed is that they got through what they needed to with Vista. If they'd skipped out Vista then the whole 64bit drivers issues would just have happened with W7.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2012, 04:31 InBlack

Oh common guys, Vista sucked major donkey balls!!

It was bloated beyond belief, required significant hardware resources, had a horrible file indexing system and oh yeah did I mention that it was bloated beyond belief?

Dont forget the absolute retarded but typical corporate bullshit with Vista being required for DirectX 10!!

Sure Windows7 is what Vista was supposed to be at launch, but I still say fuck Microsoft for releasing a half-assed product.

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 23:51 Mashiki Amiketo

John wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:55:
What's the MCE addon?
Windows Medic Centre. AKA the thingy that lets you watch DVD's and crap via the normal media player in windows. Due to the MP4/MP3 and RIAA/MPAA crap, MS couldn't come to terms on a licensing agreement and pulled it out of Windows 8. So until January, if you get it at the discounted price(either $14.99 inside the 1yr upgrade period or $39.99 existing license upgrade), you get it for nothing.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 15:02 gilly775

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:04:
As nice as Linux is for compatibility, I am disappointed in the lack of drivers for my Hybrid Intel/Nvidia 650M chipset in it. I would hope it would run off of the Intel card, but it always runs off of the NVidia one.

Optimus support on Linux is pretty raw but IIRC someone did hack together a project for it, kinda went nuts then other people forked it. I sold my old Optimus laptop so I stopped following it. It did work, not sure about your specific chipset though.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 14:32 Verno

John wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:55:
What's the MCE addon?

Media Center Edition, they split it off from the main Windows distro. It's free for any Windows 8 owners until Jan. 2013 I think. The upgrades on that page I linked are manually approved so don't expect an email right away.

I think they are putting it out to pasture as well, MS hasn't done anything serious with it in awhile and seem focused on using the tech to incubate Xbox TV efforts. It will likely go the way of the underrated Zune software, gutted for parts in other things so to speak.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 14:37.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

24. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 14:30 jimnms

I downloaded and tried out the developer preview of Win8. There are a lot of improvements that I do like, but when stacked against the things I don't like, it doesn't warrant an upgrade. I could get used to the Metro start screen if I had to, but if MS were smart and made it optional and kept the start menu, I would have upgraded all of my machines.

Atomic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:43:
I'm still on Vista, and want (need) to upgrade. I understand that Windows 8 is not incrementally much of a better upgrade than Windows 7, but considering I can get Windows 8 for $40, should I just make the leap, or pay more for Windows 7?

I could have sworn there was a story posted here about MS allowing Win8 licenses to be "downgraded" to Win7. If that is true, you could grab the cheaper Win8 upgrade, then download the Win7 ISO (they're available directly from MS) and install it instead.

Steam Profile

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 14:24 DG

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:56:
Vista [...]
I switched to Vista after SP1 and never had any issues, it was a noticeable improvement over XP. A much more noticeable improvement than W7 was over Vista.

Vista simply took the hit of the teething issues, like a lot of hardware needing new drivers that weren't ready at launch. Like the switch to 64bit. Early-days Vista got the issues out of the way, so they weren't there for W7.

It was Vista that actually achieved everything and did the work, W7 just stepped in to take the credit.

22. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 14:22 NegaDeath

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:45:
I'm the look out for a program that will restore the transparency effects from Aero that are disabled in Windows 8, if anyone finds one please post it sometime thanks

I've searched multiple times for that and it isn't looking good. Unfortunately rather than disabling it apparently MS gutted the Aero Glass code. It was in the RTM version but they took it out for the final release. Some people are trying to splice in the missing bits from RTM but its buggy and crashy.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 14:04 Verno

As nice as Linux is for compatibility, I am disappointed in the lack of drivers for my Hybrid Intel/Nvidia 650M chipset in it. I would hope it would run off of the Intel card, but it always runs off of the NVidia one.

Optimus support on Linux is pretty raw but IIRC someone did hack together a project for it, kinda went nuts then other people forked it. I sold my old Optimus laptop so I stopped following it. It did work, not sure about your specific chipset though.

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 13:57 gilly775

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:50:
gilly775 wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:43:
Funny...I must be the guy that never has issues. Never had problems with Windows Me and gaming, never had problems with Windows Vista and gaming, and have not had any problems with Windows 8 and gaming
I have a nephew that just got the message, had it sink in, the kid was reformatting like a couple times per month, any issue he had he did that nearly first thing and usually it didn't fix it anyway.

It's funny you mention that because I was in college when Windows 95 came out and whenever my CD Rom icon disappeared, I'd reformat my computer. It wasn't until months after that a friend of mine showed me how to fix that problem. Ever since then I was a techie at heart and even work as a Systems Admin today.

My home ESX host has seen the same hardware for years now but I just upgraded to version 5 which is running just as nice as 4 did. I'm even trying to learn Linux more and one of our admins has been helping me with my dual boot Win 8/Kubuntu laptop to show me how to use Linux. As nice as Linux is for compatibility, I am disappointed in the lack of drivers for my Hybrid Intel/Nvidia 650M chipset in it. I would hope it would run off of the Intel card, but it always runs off of the NVidia one.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 13:55 John

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:33:
Yeah that's the one I use too, I prefer it to Start8 because its native Win7 code and it means I don't have to give weirdo Brad Wardell money
Hmm, I think it was actually you that suggested it to me in the first place!

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:45:
Get Windows 8 Pro, register for the MCE addon...
What's the MCE addon?

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 14:02.

This space is available for rent

18. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 13:45 Verno

Atomic wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:43:
I'm still on Vista, and want (need) to upgrade. I understand that Windows 8 is not incrementally much of a better upgrade than Windows 7, but considering I can get Windows 8 for $40, should I just make the leap, or pay more for Windows 7?

Get Windows 8 Pro, register for the MCE addon and grab a copy of StartIsBack or Classic Shell to disable Metro would be my advice. When the price of Windows 8 goes back up this choice will be a lot less clear but who knows if Win7 licenses will even be available at that point.

I'm the look out for a program that will restore the transparency effects from Aero that are disabled in Windows 8, if anyone finds one please post it sometime thanks

17. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 29, 2012, 13:43 Atomic

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 13:33 Verno

John wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:00:
I use StartIsBack and it makes Win8 a lot nicer. It brings the Win7 start menu back and you can make it so that you boot directly to desktop instead of the Metro Start screen. You can also use it to disable the 'mouse cursor to corner' thing that opens the side menu.

Yeah that's the one I use too, I prefer it to Start8 because its native Win7 code and it means I don't have to give weirdo Brad Wardell money

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 13:11 Beamer

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:56:
Vista had a lot of non-driver cruft and was really heavy on startup services which annoyed people. It wasn't "bad" though, just mistimed and victim to a brilliant Apple marketing campaign. WinME was objectively awful though, it had so many security and compatibility problems without even getting into its lack of any real feature upgrades.

Windows 8 isn't a bad operating system either, just a dubious upgrade from Windows 7. It's biggest selling feature is Metro which makes too many concessions for tablet users to the detriment of desktop users. They rushed to market when they should have listened to the overwhelming feedback about it in dev/con previews and reworked it.

I agree with all of this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 13:00 John

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:07:
Metro is indefensible for desktop users, it's been torn down several times already so I'm not going to rehash the obvious. It's actually frustrating because with some changes made for desktop users it could be nice. The app/store ecosystem is inherently flawed IMHO but that's a different story.
I use StartIsBack and it makes Win8 a lot nicer. It brings the Win7 start menu back and you can make it so that you boot directly to desktop instead of the Metro Start screen. You can also use it to disable the 'mouse cursor to corner' thing that opens the side menu.

This space is available for rent

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo