Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 Verno

Vista had a lot of non-driver cruft and was really heavy on startup services which annoyed people. It wasn't "bad" though, just mistimed and victim to a brilliant Apple marketing campaign. WinME was objectively awful though, it had so many security and compatibility problems without even getting into its lack of any real feature upgrades.

Windows 8 isn't a bad operating system either, just a dubious upgrade from Windows 7. It's biggest selling feature is Metro which makes too many concessions for tablet users to the detriment of desktop users. They rushed to market when they should have listened to the overwhelming feedback about it in dev/con previews and reworked it.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 12:50 HorrorScope

gilly775 wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:43:
Funny...I must be the guy that never has issues. Never had problems with Windows Me and gaming, never had problems with Windows Vista and gaming, and have not had any problems with Windows 8 and gaming

I am with you, my first Win 8 system comes next week in form of a sweet laptop deal. But I haven't struggled with any O/S, I didn't get Vista until drivers matured for it. There were points I struggled with virus/malware etc in the early 2000's, but MS got a bit more serious about it and those issues are way way down. It wasn't the O/S itself, but shitware.

But face it, here is a common answer to anything not running quite right on the internets, "You should reinstall the O/S". To date I have never done it once in all my recent memory, say Win 95 forward. I had two system up until around 2008 that were both updated from Win 95, 98, ME to XP. It must be an internet miracle if you go by the issues people have and how they remedy things. I have a nephew that just got the message, had it sink in, the kid was reformatting like a couple times per month, any issue he had he did that nearly first thing and usually it didn't fix it anyway.

Obviously going from 32 bit to 64 bit there isn't an upgrade path so those two systems for over a decade finally had to start over/retire. This was like 5 generations of HW changes to those two systems. New MB's/Gfx Cards, Hard Drives (ghosted from old to new). If you know how to keep a system clean, which is easier then most must think, you can keep it running right. All my performance tests came back normal vs a clean system.

I also Ghost at least my boot drives on all units, I've had several HD crashes over the years that will get most users to start over again. But not me, new HD, restore Ghost, an hour later, newer, bigger HD running just like it was, but better. Viruses, I try to fix those via google searches, 99% success rate there, if not... Ghost back, lose a week, an hour later all good again. It's really a simple step that most don't bother with.

So I did start over recently with 64 bit systems, I could be good for another decade plus as I see it. As mentioned security holes are a lot less an issue today, the systems I have are now staying more squeaky clean than ever, 5 units all Win7 64, all boot drives ghosted, all start-up processes looked at routinely, blah, blah, blah. Sitting pretty imo.

When I get this Win8 laptop, it will be the soonest I have a new O/S since Win 95. I do prefer to have things mature a bit more. If I have real issues that I think "Win 8 just isn't ready", I'll through Win 7 on it. You can also bet your sweet ass I'm turning Metro off like right now.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 12:23 MajorD

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:36:
MajorD wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:23:
Great info & suggestions Verno; I think I'll go with the latter. Wink

I'll be building my new i5 machine this weekend, and I think I'll be installing 7 instead of my copy of 8. 8 has some nice upgrades to be sure, and with a couple different programs I've managed to completely chain and lock "Metro" up in the basement never to be seen again (occasionally I toss some fish heads down there for it to eat). But it's just...so...UGLY. Flat, dull, uninspired and frankly less intuitive. It bugs me every time I see it. So record THAT in your usage statistics MS, I imagine it looks like a middle finger.

Sweet! Have fun building that new system; those are good times.

Yeah, I can't agree with you more on how ugly, flat, and dull Metro is; there's just no 3D texture or shadowing to the tiles, etc. It actually looks very much pre-dated. Puke

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 12:07 Verno

It's not really faster than Windows 7 though, most real world benchmarks put it right at the 2% delta. It boots a bit faster on some machine configurations. I don't think stability is really improved either, I haven't seen any evidence of it (Windows 7 was remarkably stable as it is). I run it on a secondary box and treat it like a cheaper copy of Windows 7. It doesn't really have any advantages over it so far IMHO, the little minor touches don't really add up to anything comprehensive. It is cheap however and Windows 7 is not so if you are building from barebones it's not a bad choice.

Metro is indefensible for desktop users, it's been torn down several times already so I'm not going to rehash the obvious. It's actually frustrating because with some changes made for desktop users it could be nice. The app/store ecosystem is inherently flawed IMHO but that's a different story.

One good thing, the Netflix Metro app supports hardware acceleration and is not Silverlight so you can hook it into XBMC and shit like that.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 12:17.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:55 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:09:
Apparently they're recording how we use Windows 8 as well.
That's been on-going since Windows XP. The guy needs to lay off the sauce, that's how they figured out how to design the charms bar and the ribbon for Win8 in the first place.

I'll be fully honest, I've been using Win8 since release on my gaming rig, and it's much faster than Win7, more stable. Works better with some picky classic games as well. Not all sunshine and roses, I did give the metro UI a fair chance for three weeks. And after spending 90% of my time in the desktop anyway I simply switched right to Start8 since I had a heavily discounted license.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:43 gilly775

Funny...I must be the guy that never has issues. Never had problems with Windows Me and gaming, never had problems with Windows Vista and gaming, and have not had any problems with Windows 8 and gaming (been using it since I got it off of Technet). I will say that I had my first frozen system issue last night Citrixed into my work PC and running Live TV in Media Center, but other than that, no issues with it. I love the revamped task manager, faster boot up times, and all-in-one file copy dialog. As far as the start screen, I actually learned to use my keyboard to search for things compared to Windows 7 and search. I'd say it's much fast to get your results in 8 compared to 7 from searching within the Start Screen.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:36 NegaDeath

MajorD wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:23:

I'll be building my new i5 machine this weekend, and I think I'll be installing 7 instead of my copy of 8. 8 has some nice upgrades to be sure, and with a couple different programs I've managed to completely chain and lock "Metro" up in the basement never to be seen again (occasionally I toss some fish heads down there for it to eat). But it's just...so...UGLY. Flat, dull, uninspired and frankly less intuitive. It bugs me every time I see it. So record THAT in your usage statistics MS, I imagine it looks like a middle finger.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:29 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:48:
I noted this in a previous thread but just a heads up for anyone gaming on Windows 8:

Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided to default Task Manager's "always on top" option to off. They also decided to allow fullscreen apps to retain control when they crash. This can create situations where a fullscreen game locks up or crashes and you cant actually access task manager to kill it, forcing a reboot unless you have taskkill or an equivalent CLI tool installed. So make sure you toggle that option on in Task Manager, its under View or Options I forget which.

Or just don't use Windows 8

That seems typically Microsoft. "Fuck, we haven't really had any good BSoDs and freeze-ups since we went to Win7. BRING THOSE BACK!"

As for a month of gaming with Windows 8... you know what's better than that? A month of gaming with Windows 7.

Edit : BEST.NAME.EVER:

The Windows 8-style version of the ever popular MetroTwit

I nominate that Balmer henceforth be referred to as MetroTwit.

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 11:36.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:23 MajorD

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:48:
I noted this in a previous thread but just a heads up for anyone gaming on Windows 8:

Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided to default Task Manager's "always on top" option to off. They also decided to allow fullscreen apps to retain control when they crash. This can create situations where a fullscreen game locks up or crashes and you cant actually access task manager to kill it, forcing a reboot unless you have taskkill or an equivalent CLI tool installed. So make sure you toggle that option on in Task Manager, its under View or Options I forget which.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 11:09:

Reller also cautioned skeptics that Windows 8 can't be compared to Windows 7 in regards to the adoption rate. She said the older OS wasn't addressing a major change in the underlying hardware platform meaning Windows 7 didn't have to deal with the tablet form factor. Thus Windows 8 is taking on a bigger role by embracing not only the typical x86-based platform, but the touchy tablet form factor as well.

"This has been the biggest project since Windows 95," she said.

We need some serious drug testing done in Redmond.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 11:09 NegaDeath

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 Shok

I just assumed that the article was going to blow smoke up my ass about how gaming on Windows 8 is great and everyone should upgrade. It was nice to read an honest gamer-centric assessment.

@Verno: That's good info if I ever decide to install Win8 on my gaming machine. At least MS had the foresight to leave an option for always on top I suppose.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 10:48 Verno

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo