Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

The Baldur's Gate Website announces that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is now available for Windows PCs through the Beamdog Service. The game was to be released for all platforms today, but Trent Oster tweets that the iOS build is not approved, Android is trailing iOS, and the Mac OSX version is also delayed (thanks Eurogamer/Modojo). Here's word:

Overhaul Games is pleased to announce that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition of PC has been released through Beamdog, and can be purchased here.

If you've already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you can either download it through the Beamdog client, which can be found here, or through the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Installer which can be downloaded here.

Please note that due to extreme server load it may take some time to get your game, but we are working around the clock to alleviate the situation.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 06:51 Fibrocyte

Sho wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 06:20:
IMHO that's a stupid conspiracy theory. Here's a simpler, more likely explanation for why the intro is bad: This is a small team remastering a big game, and doing so on a small budget. Creating an elaborate intro cinematic requires a skill set they don't have inhouse, since they wouldn't require that skill set for their primary operation. Contracting an outside studio to make one, OTOH, costs big bucks. The intro cinematic is also a tiny, tiny part of a long experience. It's simply not an effective or likely even possible use of their budget to make a fancy intro cinematic.

Man, how much anger could be avoided if people would just switch on their brains. Or have had contact with the real world, I guess.

So these people are charging us to make things worse and you're defending them yet we need to switch on our brains?

There are free mods - easily installed to the game I already own - which will bring me almost the same experience that they are selling.

What they should be doing is focusing on the platforms which do not have this title and making it work flawlessly over there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 06:22 Gymper

Am I to understand that we are judging the entire work by the intro movie? Granted, I wish they had beefed this up with today's specs. But, what were you expecting, Disney CGI?

Gameplay/lore is what sold this game then and should do so again. If enough people buy this, maybe we will finally get a Baldur's 3 or at least a similar game engine. Go f'ing buy it!

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 06:20 Sho

IMHO that's a stupid conspiracy theory. Here's a simpler, more likely explanation for why the intro is bad: This is a small team remastering a big game, and doing so on a small budget. Creating an elaborate intro cinematic requires a skill set they don't have inhouse, since they wouldn't require that skill set for their primary operation. Contracting an outside studio to make one, OTOH, costs big bucks. The intro cinematic is also a tiny, tiny part of a long experience. It's simply not an effective or likely even possible use of their budget to make a fancy intro cinematic.

Man, how much anger could be avoided if people would just switch on their brains. Or have had contact with the real world, I guess.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 05:34 s1mon75

jimnms wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 22:49:
Shok wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 20:38:
Please note that due to extreme server load it may take some time to get your game, but we are working around the clock to alleviate the situation.

Pro-tip: Use Steam next time.

Or better yet, use GoG.

Or even better yet, Bittorrent.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 05:09 ShakaUVM

You don't need to install Beamdog. I don't have it installed.

It'll download using a P2P client.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 04:30 Dev

Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 04:05:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:42:
New intro cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfgFZATd5E

Good god, who thought THAT was an improvement? Never thought I'd prefer 15 year old CGI to much of anything, but here we are.

That intro was appallingly, inexcusably, bad.

Simultaneously both over-styled and overly-simplistic, with cut and paste audio melodrama plus poorly executed cut-paper-doll "animations" that even the most cheaply produced Saturday morning cartoons surpass.

Mediocrity around every corner, Boo, careful not to step in any.

They probably had to change it because a) the credits at start were changed and b) they needed a higher resolution version for the tablets.

As to WHY its so crappy, its as I've said before. Its easy to explain when you realize their primary goal. Its to get marketshare for beamdog. Thats it. All other goals are secondary. Its not to make a bunch of sales (like they would on steam). They likely wanted to do minimal effort for this, and go on name recognition alone. Interplay likely sold them the rights for this and the MDK remake for a song since the Caen bros seem to be getting desperate for cash.

Saturday morning cartoons are better because they want to sell ads.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 04:05 Optional Nickname!

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:42:

Good god, who thought THAT was an improvement? Never thought I'd prefer 15 year old CGI to much of anything, but here we are.

That intro was appallingly, inexcusably, bad.

Simultaneously both over-styled and overly-simplistic, with cut and paste audio melodrama plus poorly executed cut-paper-doll "animations" that even the most cheaply produced Saturday morning cartoons surpass.

Mediocrity around every corner, Boo, careful not to step in any.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 03:43 wonkawonka

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 03:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.
That "enhanced" intro was terrible. 15 year old CGI intro in 640x480 was better and that's saying something and I'm not even waxing nostalgic.
The new intro is HORRIBLE. Just seeing that face rotate 30 degrees when supposedly the hand flexes on the neck makes me totally reconsider getting this. If the quality of the "improvements" is as amateurish as this, they can shove it where it don't shine.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 03:16 Mashiki Amiketo

That "enhanced" intro was terrible. 15 year old CGI intro in 640x480 was better and that's saying something and I'm not even waxing nostalgic.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 02:42 Beelzebud

Kosumo wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:02:
What are you guys on about? I'm sure this will be a great game worth the price, I sure it will be on the best digital download service yet soon for a sweet price.

Pirate Bay is good like that.

Puke Outtahere

Lame

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 02:00 Flo

Oh they went the cheap way with that intro. Skipping this one, that's an Insult, plus, they cut a line (there are others I can show you , pleeeease)  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 01:16 DrEvil

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 00:24 Pete

Doin' it Big

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 00:12 Jivaro

nin wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:21:
John wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:16:
How much will the iOS version be?

I believe it's $10, but some of the features you find in the $20 pc version will be in app purchases.

IE the pc version gets everything, but at a higher entry price.

Exactly correct. Lower entry price on the iOS, but if you want all of the same content that PC version you pay the difference with a in-app purchase. The bottom line price is the same. At least that is what the forums and a tweet sometime ago said.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 23:42 Scottish Martial Arts

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 23:21 nin

John wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:16:

I believe it's $10, but some of the features you find in the $20 pc version will be in app purchases.

IE the pc version gets everything, but at a higher entry price.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 23:16 John

This space is available for rent

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 23:08 nin

jimnms wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 22:49:

Or better yet, use GoG.

I'd buy it from there before I'd buy it from SunShitzu...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 23:02 Kosumo

What are you guys on about? I'm sure this will be a great game worth the price, I sure it will be on the best digital download service yet soon for a sweet price.

Pirate Bay is good like that.

Puke Outtahere

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 28, 2012, 22:49 jimnms

Or better yet, use GoG.

MeanJim on Steam

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo