Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

The Baldur's Gate Website announces that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is now available for Windows PCs through the Beamdog Service. The game was to be released for all platforms today, but Trent Oster tweets that the iOS build is not approved, Android is trailing iOS, and the Mac OSX version is also delayed (thanks Eurogamer/Modojo). Here's word:

Overhaul Games is pleased to announce that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition of PC has been released through Beamdog, and can be purchased here.

If you've already purchased Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, you can either download it through the Beamdog client, which can be found here, or through the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Installer which can be downloaded here.

Please note that due to extreme server load it may take some time to get your game, but we are working around the clock to alleviate the situation.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 30, 2012, 00:08 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 22:09:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 17:46:
I didn't miss it, but it doesn't look worse to me. It's like a Flash animation. Choppy, yes, but the original is early era 3D, which aged badly. I really don't like looking at it, at all. Everything about it is an unattractive product of its time. Even if the new one uses that stop-start animation, at least it's hand drawn.
I can hand draw in paint too.

Sure. But age doesn't harm 2D art much. Good 2D art -- like the main body of the Infinity Engine games -- holds up a lot better than good or middling 3D art from the 90s -- like that original intro.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 22:09 Dev

WaltC wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:28:
If this is the way in which they have approached the entire project then I think they are going to have some fairly serious problems to weed through. I think they'd have done much better to attempt a "Remastered" version of the original instead of an "Enhanced" version in which a lot of editing is obvious. It'll be interesting to read some reviews.
"Remastered" wouldn't get as many sales.
And they did enhance it... they redid the UI to work on smartphones. They added a bunch of fixes and stuff from previous community work.
The added characters are I think original work.
Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 17:46:
I didn't miss it, but it doesn't look worse to me. It's like a Flash animation. Choppy, yes, but the original is early era 3D, which aged badly. I really don't like looking at it, at all. Everything about it is an unattractive product of its time. Even if the new one uses that stop-start animation, at least it's hand drawn.
I can hand draw in paint too.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 18:41 Cram

I am unimpressed that there is no working way to increase the AI updates. It is defaulted at 30; there is no config menu and altering the baldur.ini file doesn't do anything. Being used to 45-50 AI updates in Infinity Engine games and slowing down to 30, brutal.  

40. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 18:26 HorrorScope

Beta Testers words about release:

"As we all know, Overhaul was taken by surprise by the amount of work required to make BG:EE happen, which led to an unexpected delay of 2 months. These 2 months have been spent frantically getting the game from "total mess" to "presentable" status. We're all very aware that many outstanding issues remain, but what you don't see are the thousands of other issues that took priority over these."

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen.

I really can't believe the amount of complaints over the modified intro. Granted it's not great, and granted the original could have been kept, it's such a minor part of the game that it really has no relevance. The actual gameplay is what's important, and so far that's been fine. I had long ago lost my copies, so haven't seen what the fans have done to update the graphics and such, but it's running perfectly well on my system. So for that alone it seems worth it.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 17:46 Orogogus

If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.
All that doesn't make the helmet look any less terrible. I mean, the headgear in KotOR looks terrible, too, but they don't usually show it in the cutscenes. Taking the dork helmet out of the cutscene is an improvement.

You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 16:35 John

Gymper wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 06:22:
If enough people buy this, maybe we will finally get a Baldur's 3 or at least a similar game engine. Go f'ing buy it!
I think the closest thing to that we'll get is Project Eternity which I'm really looking forward to!

This space is available for rent

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 16:28 Creston

Dev wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 14:25:
Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:14:
Actually, Beamdog has apparently got the rights to Baldur's Gate 3, so if there's enough interest in their BG (and upcoming BG2) remakes, they said they would try to make a BG3.

Creston
I don't believe they could use the DnD framework though, even if they could do BG3. And they also said they won't do a black hound related one. So essentially it would be a BG in name only, which is part of what my point was. And so far its all been remakes, they would have to do a ton of sales to be capable of expanding enough to do a new game. Those sales probably won't happen on beamdog platform. If they kickstart its possible they could start... but I sure wouldn't give them any KS money based on what they've done to date.

Eh, part of the DnD is just the rules underneath that make the combat run. It's very easy to come up with a new set of rules. I think a more curious question is whether they have the right to use Forgotten Realms stuff with their BG3 license, or if it's strictly BG3 and none of the D&D lore stuff.

Anyway, I'd be interested in buying this, but not for 20 bucks. Nostalgia only goes so far, and I never even thought the first BG was all that awesome anyway.

Creston

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 15:28 WaltC

Orogogus wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:08:
Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 01:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.

For those wanting to see the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSqDtky0pU

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

I think it pays to remember that BG1 was a 2d game, and the whole game ran on 2d static screens and 2d animations.

This supposedly "enhanced" intro is the most egregious mistake made in this effort that I have so far seen. That's the whole problem, really, in a nutshell. I figured enhanced to mean, "Exactly like the original classic, only better technically," in terms of OS compatibility, resolution and texture use, etc. Adding new content to an enhanced version of an original classic is fine, too, providing two things happen:

1) New content is added to the original as opposed to replacing it
2) No editing of the original content takes place--no chopped lines, substituted lines, etc.

If they start adding new content in addition to selectively removing original content then we have moved from "enhancement" to "editing" and I think that's going to cause them some problems. You like the new intro better than the old one--which I find remarkable. It seems to me your chief objection to the original intro was the guy's helmet--which I agree has always looked dorky...;) Nevertheless, that exact helmet is available in the original game, which is why they used it, imo. Some people have always disliked the way the game itself renders helmets and so a mod was developed that allowed the player to remove all of the helmet animations if desired.

The intro, instead of coming off as "enhanced," comes off as chopped up and amateurishly altered. The guy's face as it appears prior to him being thrown from the roof looks exactly like it was put there through a cut & paste editing job--which it probably was...;) You should carefully watch both new and old intros a couple of times back to back--because if you do I do not see how you can miss that the "enhanced" version runs in choppy fashion (while not choppy itself), whereas the original flows pretty well. I much prefer the original intro.

If this is the way in which they have approached the entire project then I think they are going to have some fairly serious problems to weed through. I think they'd have done much better to attempt a "Remastered" version of the original instead of an "Enhanced" version in which a lot of editing is obvious. It'll be interesting to read some reviews.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 14:25 Dev

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 13:14:
Actually, Beamdog has apparently got the rights to Baldur's Gate 3, so if there's enough interest in their BG (and upcoming BG2) remakes, they said they would try to make a BG3.

Creston
I don't believe they could use the DnD framework though, even if they could do BG3. And they also said they won't do a black hound related one. So essentially it would be a BG in name only, which is part of what my point was. And so far its all been remakes, they would have to do a ton of sales to be capable of expanding enough to do a new game. Those sales probably won't happen on beamdog platform. If they kickstart its possible they could start... but I sure wouldn't give them any KS money based on what they've done to date.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 13:14 Creston

Dev wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 12:26:
If enough people buy this, maybe we will finally get a Baldur's 3 or at least a similar game engine. Go f'ing buy it!
Those 2 things have NOTHING to do with each other. Interplay won't be seeing much if any of this money. And even if they did, their licenses from wizards won't let them do any more DnD games. And even if both of those factors weren't there, essentially interplay is a failed bankrupt publisher, its bloodless corpse being sucked dry by Caen bros who would end up keeping most of the money rather than spending it on game development (the same way they did while they were supposedly developing fallout online). That basic story can seen from financial statements from that time period.

If you were hoping bioware/ea would do something... well they did... dragon age 2. Feel free to buy the crap EA is pushing out. That kinda thing is the closest we will likely ever see from bioware/ea.

Creston

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 13:08 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 10:09:

Holy cow, that new intro looks horrid. I canít believe they actually thought that was release worthy. Makes me wonder what kind of real enhancements are in this game after watching that travesty.

It's not good, but I do think the original intro (as linked by DrEvil) is worse, even allowing for the era. I can't imagine what process events led to that helmet making it into the shipping product.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 12:26 Dev

Those 2 things have NOTHING to do with each other. Interplay won't be seeing much if any of this money. And even if they did, their licenses from wizards won't let them do any more DnD games. And even if both of those factors weren't there, essentially interplay is a failed bankrupt publisher, its bloodless corpse being sucked dry by Caen bros who would end up keeping most of the money rather than spending it on game development (the same way they did while they were supposedly developing fallout online). That basic story can seen from financial statements from that time period.

If you were hoping bioware/ea would do something... well they did... dragon age 2. Feel free to buy the crap EA is pushing out. That kinda thing is the closest we will likely ever see from bioware/ea.

If all you want is some sorta top down turn based RPG that doesn't use the official DnD setup or the same story, then there's plenty of those in the works from indies, some already funded from kickstarter. If publishers were looking towards the money spent on the genre, those kickstarters would likely have far more impact and far more money, than this remake would.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 12:35.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 12:16 Dev

Sho wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 06:20:
IMHO that's a stupid conspiracy theory.
And yet, its true. The simple fact that its beamdog exclusive on PC , shows that. If they really wanted the potentially large sales off of steam, they wouldn't do that. They've shown this same pattern of behavior with MDK 2 HD. They release on beamdog exclusively.
WHAT possible other explanation would they have for doing a beamdog exclusive for PC release, other than trying to increase marketshare for beamdog?

Its the reason why many PC releases get delayed until after console releases. They want to sell copies on consoles.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 12:26.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 Creston

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 23:42:
New intro cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfgFZATd5E

Good god, who thought THAT was an improvement? Never thought I'd prefer 15 year old CGI to much of anything, but here we are.

Cinematics wise it's fine, but dear Lord that dialogue is just cringe-worthy. (edit : I just realized that's the original dialogue. Oh Bioware... )

Also, animators, how much blood do you think is IN a human body, anyway??? (Hint: It's not the 248 gallons you have pouring out of the poor guy.)

Creston

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 29, 2012, 10:12 HorrorScope

Early returns from users looks like it's fairly buggy and somewhat sluggish. To me waiting if interested sounds like the better option.  

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 10:09 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 John

s1mon75 wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 05:34:
jimnms wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 22:49:
Shok wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 20:38:
Pro-tip: Use Steam next time.

Or better yet, use GoG.

Or even better yet, Bittorrent.
Or even better again, the AppStore. That's the version I'd like to try anyways..

This space is available for rent

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 07:01 Sho

Edit: Damn, misclicked.  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 06:58 Sho

> So these people are charging us to make things worse and you're defending them yet we need to switch on our brains?

Wait, they are "charging you"? They're offering a product. It's your decision whether you like that product and buy it, or not. You don't like it, you don't buy it. There is no grounds for feeling entitled here.

> There are free mods - easily installed to the game I already own - which will bring me almost the same experience that they are selling.

And yes, I'm aware of those mods (I went through the process of making a pimped-up BG1 install using the BG2 engine, with the nVidia fix, and the high-res mod, etc etc last year). Yes, I'm aware it's not all that hard to install them, thanks to fan-made installers. It's still harder to find and put together than their product, though, and that makes a business case for it. People dish out money to save on personal time and effort all the time. It's a significant part of your economy. (And before you go on accusing me of being a lazy ass, fuck it, I'm a regular Linux gamer - I spend more time getting shit to run in Wine sometimes than actually playing it, heh.)

I also think their product does offer some things on top of the mods, though, from a casual look at their screenies and videos last week. For example, they seem to have rewritten the fog of war effect, likely to fix the nVidia performance/artifacts issue, and it looks a lot smoother and more modern now, I think. The new HUD assets and fonts look well-chosen, too. There's probably more than that.

> What they should be doing is focusing on the platforms which do not have this title and making it work flawlessly over there.

Right, and if they didn't make a PC version, what do you think this comment thread would be bitching about instead?

I agree that the tablet versions are the main attraction here, though. Looking forward to trying it on my Nexus 7.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 07:03.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo