Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Firefall Beta Plans

The Firefall Website announces plans for beta test weekends for this upcoming free online first-person shooter. Here are details on the beta weekends and their founder's program:

Firefallís upcoming Beta Weekends are scheduled Nov 30-Dec 2 and Dec 7-9. These are North American and European 48-hour stress-tests with players encouraged to find bugs, test various features and help the developers improve the beta by providing feedback. To sign up for Firefall and the upcoming Beta Weekends, please visit: http://www.firefallthegame.com/betaweekends/

Red 5ís Founders Rewards program unlocks exclusive bonuses for founding members as new funding goals are reached. With the first funding goal already achieved thanks to early supporters, all founding members have been given Virtual Camouflage Goggles. Upcoming items and live progress updates can be tracked at http://beta.firefallthegame.com/founders, and new players will still gain access to all unlocked rewards by purchasing a Founders Pack.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 16:26 Sir Graves

Man, this is still in beta? Wow. Just release it already, guys, come on. I may take a second look (was in the beta for a bit) but I'm waiting for it to officially launch finally, so I can play it with my friends easily and conveniently (and hopefully, largely bug-free). I'll continue to wait.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 15:40 Jackplug

Been doing closed beta for ages now, I got bored a while ago. Lovely gfx and lag free, just boring after a while..  

7. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 08:43 Axis

Won't go anywhere 'esports' unless it increases the fov beyond the 75ish its stuck at when you max it via options.

Other than that, incredible potential.

Yours truly,

Axis

6. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 00:51 Asmo

It's fun but it wears thin a bit fast when the content takes so long to arrive and they keep dicking with the core systems. It has oodles of potential but I think Red 5 are kinda fumbling it a little bit with their preoccupation on turning the game in to a premiere esports venue.  

5. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 00:26 jacobvandy

I just got in last weekend, and I think it's really cool. The combat is tight and virtually lag-free, and the presentation of the sprawling open world environment is just jaw-dropping. You can see for MILES in the daytime and at night it gets dark enough that you'll need to use the flashlight, which completely flips it the other way. It will really stress your hardware if you want to max it out, and an SSD is all but required for the highest-res textures because of the amount of streaming going on.

There's not a whole lot of story content in right now, so if you're just running around solo I can see how you might get bored. PVE is a lot of random events, territory control against AI troops, and thumping, i.e. resource gathering, which is mostly all best done in groups. I've not tried out the PVP yet, but that is a huge part of this game and they're spending a lot of time tweaking and balancing the classes to make that work well.

I like how there's no leveling up, per se, you just earn XP and spend it on new tech. It takes a while to progress to the best stuff, and then you start crafting your own upgrade parts to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your suit. Another cool thing is that, if you want to play a different class, you just buy that suit. Experience doesn't carry over, though, you can only spend on upgrading each one what you've earned while wearing it. Making the switch to Tier 2 is kind of a pain right now, though... Usually you end up weaker than your supposedly inferior, but then fully-upgraded, previous equip.

As for the extended beta period, it's because they're actually in beta. It's not free promotion or a demo for early adopters, while they use the 'Beta' moniker to cover their ass against complaints. They're still very much in development, taking any and all feedback to heart. As recently as 6 months ago, they completely overhauled major systems of the game, including character progression (they used to have traditional leveling). In that sense, it's really not very fair to get yourself in there, spend half an hour not knowing what you're doing, and saying the final game will suck...

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 00:33.

4. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 28, 2012, 22:45 Dades

I got into the beta recently and have to say it was one of the most boring games I've ever played. Just very bland and simple, nothing interesting about it other than the jumpjets. After all of their promotion I was expecting a lot more from this.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

3. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 28, 2012, 22:22 Trevellian

Been in beta for this for awhile. Meh.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

2. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 28, 2012, 22:21 jamiedj99

aloop hole i foudn in some betas if they ask you would you pay for the beta or pay to play the game say no. did like 12 profiles 11 saying they would pay and 1 saying they wouldnt. the one that says i would not pay always gets me a free beta key.  

1. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 28, 2012, 21:54 Cutter

This thing is still in beta?  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo