Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods

The PlanetSide 2 Forums announce that SOE is taking a zero tolerance policy towards client-side modifications for their MMORPG sequel (thanks RPS):

It is vital that you not run software which modifies the Planetside 2 client in any way. If you do this, you are indistinguishable from various hacks that work in the same manner. The result of this is that you will be banned from gameplay and lose your characters/items.

We cannot make exceptions to this. We do understand there are relatively harmless apps that fall in this category, but if we allowed those they would simply be used as a shield excuse by players trying to cheat. This same rule applies to data that Planetside 2 uses for gameplay. Do not modify any of these files or attempt to modify them in memory.

There are some applications that modify the windows or directx environment without changing the client. These may also result in suspensions unless we specifically exempt them and declare them ok to use.

The most simple guidance here is do not use third party programs which change the Planetside 2 gameplay in any way unless it has been specifically cleared by SOE.

The above does not apply to user initiated *.INI changes, those are allowed, although setting your own options incorrectly can result in bugs.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 16:23 Prez

Just ran into this a min ago. Thought I'd pop in for a quick game, deployed to a based under attack, went to capture a flag. Got it, then went to a corner, crouched, and waited. (I knew someone would come running in to check on it) A few moments later someone comes in, runs right in front of me, I'm aiming down the sites, hvy with reflex scope, top tier gun, plus 2nd grip, open up on this guy into his back, he spins and starts straffing back and forth, I pop on my energy shield ability and he kills me.

There would be no chance if lag wasn't so screwed up in the game. You're better off moving while you fire which is stupid. You shouldn't be accurate when you're standing and moving around but with the way lag works the enemy player needs to lead you by a small amount in the direction you're moving so that means shooting at the air and when you straff back and forth it almost makes more sense to just spray back and forth.

I was nodding through this entire post. I haven't tried PS2 yet, but this EXACT thing happens to me so often in other multiplayer games that there is ZERO fun in them (and it's exactly why I am not installing PS2). It is the height of frustration to get the drop on someone but because they can hop around like a ballet-trained faerie rabbit on crack you die every time. Screw that crap.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 15:28 Asmodai

The "cheat" that is getting people banned (and almost immediately unbanned again) is using Flawless Widescreen to support Surround and Eyefinity multimonitor displays.

PS2 used to support it fine but the menus were borked. This wasn't fixed by go live, and then the aspect ratio was thrown out where previously it was working.

FW uses memory injection to adjust FOV etc to allow people to play games on multi monitors, hence it was getting detected as a hack (as opposed to the actual cheaters using deliberate lag to speedhack/glitch around the place when they are attacked).

I can understand SOE's view on this, Flawless does use hack methods and it wouldn't be long before someone malformed the code to do something else if it was allowed. The creator of FW has already pulled the plugin from the selection available.

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 15:24 Tumbler

Right now the biggest technical problem with this game is lag and fps. When there are lot of players on screen, it's like all your shots don't register against your enemies, you have to empty whole clips into people to kill them. While in smaller battles, each shot seems to register and hit.

Just ran into this a min ago. Thought I'd pop in for a quick game, deployed to a based under attack, went to capture a flag. Got it, then went to a corner, crouched, and waited. (I knew someone would come running in to check on it) A few moments later someone comes in, runs right in front of me, I'm aiming down the sites, hvy with reflex scope, top tier gun, plus 2nd grip, open up on this guy into his back, he spins and starts straffing back and forth, I pop on my energy shield ability and he kills me.

There would be no chance if lag wasn't so screwed up in the game. You're better off moving while you fire which is stupid. You shouldn't be accurate when you're standing and moving around but with the way lag works the enemy player needs to lead you by a small amount in the direction you're moving so that means shooting at the air and when you straff back and forth it almost makes more sense to just spray back and forth.

Shotguns are hilarious up close. It should end someone with ease but since you only get one shot to hit someone if you do't predict where they'l be in half a second you're just blasting away at them and you should be hitting but you aren't.

Ugh, so frustrating. It's not very common, in most cases you're at a decent range but when it does happen it sucks.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 15:13 Beelzebud

It's a free online game. It's their playground, and their rules.

Don't like it? Buy a game that allows modding and move on.

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 14:41 Overon

Right now the biggest technical problem with this game is lag and fps. When there are lot of players on screen, it's like all your shots don't register against your enemies, you have to empty whole clips into people to kill them. While in smaller battles, each shot seems to register and hit.  

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 14:25 Verno

Tanto Edge wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 14:03:
Like here's an idea that the Unreal engine uses: If you don't match, you don't find servers.

They're talking about memory editing through client side hooks and client side model replacement/spoofing. It's not as simple as "client md5 doesnt match, cant connect", that's an extremely outdated methodology and this involves an entirely different netcode model. It's a warning to people that they're going after it too so I don't get the anger. You can't stop the cheaters from connecting anyway, they always do it from a vanilla client these days.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 14:07 DG

Can't see anyone being surprised about this, absolutely standard for a MP game that necessitates official servers only.

I am seeing a little bit of cheating, I have seen several players who are clearly able to turn on extreme lag at will.

Generally though, still undecided about this game.

It didn't help that the EU servers are awful for me: 165+ ping due to awful traceroute, when I can get into some Dutch TF2 servers with less than 30 ping. Though, given how screwed up things get I think their CPUs aren't up to it either. The East US servers are tolerable (~100 ping) however that's not something I'm willing to pay for.

Gameplay... I find myself always in one of the following situations:
  • lots of boring times, waiting for transports to get moving, transport getting shot down, or whatever

• defending a significant attack is just frustrating and pointless (suspect it would be a lot more efficient for everyone just to give it up and attack something else instead).

• being part of a big, organised assault steamrolling through the map is fucking awesome

• running around with a small squad grabbing small bases, or defending them from similar enemy is good fun

• I suspect game has a lot of long term appeal if I can get into some semi-organised squad/clan/whatever, but I suspect only plausable if I'm putting money into the game, and I can't see myself doing that unless they fix the EU server routing.

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 14:03 Tanto Edge

"We developed a shitty multiplayer game that is easily circumvented by people around the world, so we're going to ask really nicely that you not fuck with it lest we cut you off."

Well Sony, I have zero tolerance for shitty, idiotic design that results in zero tolerance policies against human fucking beings.

Fuck you, and fuck your retarded games. Design a game that isn't so easily fucked.

Like here's an idea that the Unreal engine uses: If you don't match, you don't find servers.

Not exactly a complicated fucking process.

But instead of rigging the game to prevent cheaters from connecting, you're going to create a piece of poo pistoning software to mediate, with a complete lack of intelligence, who is cheating and who is not.

I don't forsee ANY problems with THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 13:57 Verno

eunichron wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 13:43:
    jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 13:34:
    Have totally modifiable game clients gone by the wayside? Will we ever see another mod like AIX for BF2?

While I agree with your sentiment, there's a difference between a total conversion mod for a standalone game like BF2, and a competitive MMOFPS like Planetside 2. PS2 is meant to be played a certain way, so that all 2,000 players on a server start from the same baseline and receive the same experience. Some of these mods could be perceived as giving players an unfair advantage over other players.

Your post would be better suited for a BF3 thread, in which case I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

Yeah exactly, well said. I don't think comparisons between them are particularly valid due to the different structure and design interaction in MP. I'd be all for officially sanctioned modding in an MMOFPS but it would need to be very tightly controlled.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
    Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 13:43 eunichron

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 13:34:
    Have totally modifiable game clients gone by the wayside? Will we ever see another mod like AIX for BF2?

While I agree with your sentiment, there's a difference between a total conversion mod for a standalone game like BF2, and a competitive MMOFPS like Planetside 2. PS2 is meant to be played a certain way, so that all 2,000 players on a server start from the same baseline and receive the same experience. Some of these mods could be perceived as giving players an unfair advantage over other players.

Your post would be better suited for a BF3 thread, in which case I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 13:34 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 13:27 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 10:35:
    When is a dev going to develop a sort of baseline anti-cheat program?

And I ask that myself all the time to. Because when you wait you also fall behind in these games. Probably why many at Blue's don't care for online competitive games.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 28, 2012, 13:26 HorrorScope

Personal note. Wait 3 months to get buy an online game, then see how things like bots, mods, cheats are going then and consider buying. All these games start off really rough it seems.  

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 12:39 J

How are the TR going to win now?  

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 Mordecai Walfish

Sleep wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 11:53:
    hmmm shouty shouty.

Well, these are mostly around a widescreen fix and sweetfx. sweetfx removed the fog back when you could disable FXAA, not possible since launch. The widescreen fix was something more controversial, dont know much about that.

But of course there are the inevitable cheats, wall hack, aimbots and that nonsense. Guess ill be pulling sweetfx tonight, although I hope the dev who is also using it and posted about it pulls his too.

I disabled the FXAA vaseline filter on day 1 of the release, and it's stayed off ever since then. No problems here.

EDIT: Was thinking of Natural Selection 2, whoops. You're right there is no setting for it in PS2, unfortunately.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2012, 18:31.

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 11:53 Sleep

hmmm shouty shouty.

Well, these are mostly around a widescreen fix and sweetfx. sweetfx removed the fog back when you could disable FXAA, not possible since launch. The widescreen fix was something more controversial, dont know much about that.

But of course there are the inevitable cheats, wall hack, aimbots and that nonsense. Guess ill be pulling sweetfx tonight, although I hope the dev who is also using it and posted about it pulls his too.

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 11:09 Wowbagger_TIP

necrosis wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 10:37:
    I wonder if they are doing this because the cheat detection is a tad overzealous.

Can't wait for false bans.

It pretty much has to be. Cheat detection is hard, even when you don't give players the ability to blame things on legitimate mods. Any mods at all should be a banable offense. Keep things simple and the playing field level.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 Wildone

NICE. DO IT! FUCK EM! FUCKING CHEATS  

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 10:37 necrosis

I wonder if they are doing this because the cheat detection is a tad overzealous.

Can't wait for false bans.

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 10:35 Prez

I don't see anything wrong in doing this with an MMO (BF3 is a different case entirely) but that said this is just another reason I dislike MMO's - no 'ownership'. Not in the sense that you "own" singleplayer' game content, but that you can put your own flavor and spin on your favorite games with mods.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo