Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gollop on X-COM Remake

Eurogamer.net talks with XCOM: Enemy Unknown producer Jake Solomon and original X-COM designer Julian Gollop about how the new installment in the series lives up to its forebears. "I think Firaxis has done a great job," Julian Gollop told them. "The game is addictive and absorbing, not to mention quite challenging on the classic difficulty setting."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 16:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 16:34:
The new X-COM is a dream come true for me. It's not entirely the full X-COM experience because it lacks some pretty significant staples of the series (I absolutely LOVED the base invasions - they were gloriously challenging and tense and I miss them terribly) but what is there is exquisite. I was a major skeptic about this game but a few regulars pushed me into buying it (thanks djLith!) and I absolutely loved it. The enemy re-designs are across-the-board fantastic, and I am a convert of the new 2-action-per-turn system, even though when announced I thought they were sacrilege (how could they remove my action points????). I can't give enough kudos to Firaxis on the job they did with this modern-day remolding of a classic franchise.

Yeah, I just got started with the game, but I'm loving it so far too. The game just feels right. Maybe they'll add some kind of base invasion component in a future expansion or something

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 16:34 Prez

The new X-COM is a dream come true for me. It's not entirely the full X-COM experience because it lacks some pretty significant staples of the series (I absolutely LOVED the base invasions - they were gloriously challenging and tense and I miss them terribly) but what is there is exquisite. I was a major skeptic about this game but a few regulars pushed me into buying it (thanks djLith!) and I absolutely loved it. The enemy re-designs are across-the-board fantastic, and I am a convert of the new 2-action-per-turn system, even though when announced I thought they were sacrilege (how could they remove my action points????). I can't give enough kudos to Firaxis on the job they did with this modern-day remolding of a classic franchise.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 16:20 gilly775

Did anyone read the title thinking Gollop was going to remake it? I sure did.  

25. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 16:20 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 14:28:
Darks wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 11:43:
It not just about the AI cheating in this game. my issues come from the lack of functionality in the game. Example being the lack of a proper belt to carry items. One open slot to carry a grenade, health or a scope that should be part of an upgrade to the weapon, frustrating canít even begin to explain this.

Plus the lack of the AI attacking your base, the lack of building more than one base to assault aliens when attacks occur. Always being pounded by three attacks at the same time and having to make a choice each and every time an attack occurs. That to me was one of the more frustrating parts in the game. Who do I help and who do I piss off and lose support from. Lame!!

These are just some of the issues I have, I wonít even get into the combat and move and shoot limitations and how stupid that gets at times and lack off healing.

Yeah, I miss the base invasions too. That was one of my favorite parts of the original: starting out in random locations, scrambling to form a coherent defense, protecting your scientists.

The lack of equipment carrying is a bit limiting. Definitely "gamey", like the three simultaneous abductions you have to choose from. On the other hand, you're able to throw grenades with perfect accuracy, so that kind of makes up for the lack of them, and also spamming grenades as a strategy.

Not sure what you mean by "lack of healing" though. A properly upgraded Support class unit and medkit work pretty well.

The Healing spray you get in the game is limited, and it does not help your Marines once back in base to be healed. It still takes days if not weeks to get a Marine back. So the Marine that was i nthe field fighting injured now goes back to the base and is not able to fight again becasue hes to hurt. Okay, how was able to keep on fighting i nthe field than? Ughh!

Iím not saying that I hated this game; I like some aspects of it. But it had many short falls that kept me from really liking this game. Some Iíve already pointed out.

One thing that really bothered me is how your chars would miss their targets all the time. I get that itís a leveling up thing and earning it makes you better. But these guys are supposed to be the Elite of the Elite that would have been handpicked from every corner of the Earths Elite Forces.

So these guys should be ready locked and cocked. No excuses for a sniper to miss as much as they do. Plus loading your weapon takes all your move points? Utter crap, canít move and shoot unless your higher levels. Thereís a bunch of things, I canít recall every little thing, but if this game had more of Jagged Alliances mechanics the game would have been so much better. Oh yea, crappy camera to, moving in 90 degree arcs. WTF!! Whatever happed to the full on move it like you want it cameras?

To me, the game felt unfinished and not a lot of thought went into the mechanics of this game. The devs should have taken a few more months to get the fine tuning down.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 15:23 J

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 14:42:
While I liked the concept of base invasions in the original, the way the game handled inventory made it an awful experience.

"Oh, good, I've got 40 soldiers but only 6 clips, half of which are HE clips for the autocannon I started with and never bothered selling..."

While it was avoidable if you diligently sold excess guns, the base invasions tended to come during the point in the game that I was trying to rush and focus exclusively on researching Cydonia.
I prefer that to rush out satellites so everybody doesn't panic! any day.

At the moment Apocalypse is my favourite in the X-COM series. It was released in an era of single and relatively slow processors and yet it had plenty to manage and a more rounded experience.

23. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 15:22 Beelzebud

It really is a great game. Is it perfect? Nope, but neither was the original. I'm happy to see it be a success, because we've heard a lot of talk recently about how turn-based games with isometric camera angles are "no fun" and no one wants to play them. This game helped prove to the "AAA" publishers that all of that talk was bullshit.

I can't help it, but just imagine if Fallout 3 had been done in this style, like the original games.

22. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 14:42 Beamer

While I liked the concept of base invasions in the original, the way the game handled inventory made it an awful experience.

"Oh, good, I've got 40 soldiers but only 6 clips, half of which are HE clips for the autocannon I started with and never bothered selling..."

While it was avoidable if you diligently sold excess guns, the base invasions tended to come during the point in the game that I was trying to rush and focus exclusively on researching Cydonia.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 14:28 jdreyer

It not just about the AI cheating in this game. my issues come from the lack of functionality in the game. Example being the lack of a proper belt to carry items. One open slot to carry a grenade, health or a scope that should be part of an upgrade to the weapon, frustrating canít even begin to explain this.

Plus the lack of the AI attacking your base, the lack of building more than one base to assault aliens when attacks occur. Always being pounded by three attacks at the same time and having to make a choice each and every time an attack occurs. That to me was one of the more frustrating parts in the game. Who do I help and who do I piss off and lose support from. Lame!!

These are just some of the issues I have, I wonít even get into the combat and move and shoot limitations and how stupid that gets at times and lack off healing.

Yeah, I miss the base invasions too. That was one of my favorite parts of the original: starting out in random locations, scrambling to form a coherent defense, protecting your scientists.

The lack of equipment carrying is a bit limiting. Definitely "gamey", like the three simultaneous abductions you have to choose from. On the other hand, you're able to throw grenades with perfect accuracy, so that kind of makes up for the lack of them, and also spamming grenades as a strategy.

Not sure what you mean by "lack of healing" though. A properly upgraded Support class unit and medkit work pretty well.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

20. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 14:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played through the new X-Com once on Classic, have no real urge to play it again until they sort out the mod situation in a way beneficial to the end users/modders.

This game isn't bad, but the simplifications and outright removal of what I'd consider 'basic' X-Com features pissed me off. I do feel as though we could end up with a truly amazing game if they just opened it up to modders, to let them crank it more in the direction of the original X-Com.

1) Base Attacks
2) Far better inventory system
3) Better panic system for nations
4) Less of a "required build path" for the base
5) Bigger shuttle/More Marines and Robots on a mission
6) Less of the global upgrade of all enemy units, preventing you from responding to some requests from Nations for items/bodies from certain alien species
7) Ability to intercept terror/abduction attacks

Mods do some of the above, but you have to take steam offline, etc. It's a huge hassle to me, when there is so much else to play.

19. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 14:10 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 10:29:
Its really nice and refreshing the amount of respect that Jake Solomon pays to Gollop. Without that, i dont think this remake could of been nearly as good as it has turned out to be. For me this is the GOTY hands down.

Jake was on Three Moves Ahead where he said that XCOM is his all time favorite game, he played it for a year straight when it came out, still plays it annually, and was the reason he got a CS degree and became a game designer.

The remake is perhaps the best game I've played this year. It's really enjoyable. Fun tactics, great graphics, unique enemies, creepy atmosphere, satisfying strategy overlay, and respectful of my time.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 13:41 Raptor

I could add a huge list of things I didn't like about this game in addition to Darks list, but it all comes down to this imho.

1. Played and loved the originals - You'll have a problem with this game unless you're so diluted by the shit released these days that you've forgotten.

2. Never played and experienced the depth of the originals - Awesome!

I'm in the first category and while playing I couldn't switch off the voice in my head telling me about all the places where they've simplified, cut corners, cut out, reduced something that made the originals so great.

It lacks depth, replayability, immersion and even different voice overs for when you go to a mission or just landed.
It just nags away so much that even though I really liked the game and thought it was great then it could have easily be a million times better.

It's the typical thing developers do these days to sequels.
Instead of "how we're going to make it bigger" they go "what can we cut out and still get away with?"

They need to realise that all of these small things make is what made these games so good, not the fancy decor.

17. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 13:35 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 11:03:
Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 10:39:
not to mention quite challenging on the classic difficulty setting."

It's just too bad that the challenge comes from the AI cheating and purely random shit happening to you that you can't do anything about. It's not a difficulty where the AI simply plays smarter than you do; it just cheats instead.

No diss on the game, which is fantastic, but it would have been nice if Classic could have been made difficult through smart AI, rather than giving them shitty bonuses and having totally random bullshit happen in the strategy map.

The Warspace mod does alleviate these issues somewhat, fortunately, but it's a bitch to get mods running in this game.

Creston

Much easier solution is to open up the:

"DefaultGameCore.ini" file in XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config folder, then (make sure wordwrap is OFF)

Scroll down to "BalanceMods_Hard=" and to the right of that you can see "ICritHit=10" and "iAim=10" just zero those out such as "iCritHit=0" for everything in the "BalanceMods_Hard=" section and your good to go on Classic Difficulty with full AI and No cheating.

"Hard" = Classic Mode and "Classic" = Hard Mode in that .ini file by the way.

Save a backup and there ya go!

Those weren't the only things that bugged me about Classic, to be honest. Even with those shitty bonuses, I was able to do the combat portions quite easily. It's the stupid strategy part that really fucking annoys me.

And calling it "strategy" is kind of a misnomer, since it's basically "BUILD WORKSHOP BUILD SATELLITE UPLINK BUILD SATELLITES AND HOPE TO GOD IT'S ENOUGH!!!"

And then hope that the big UFO doesn't show up until month 4 rather than month 3.

It's always the same thing you do. Oh, did you want to build more labs in month 2? Well, you can't, because you NEED TO build satellites to keep the world from turning into a fucking melting pot of insanity. The ridiculous spread of panic across a continent is insane. Like the rest of Europe is going to panic if a Frenchman gets kidnapped by Aliens. If anything, they'd be fucking cheering. Warspace tones that down quite heavily as well.

Creston

16. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 13:21 Jivaro

Darks wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 12:41:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 12:28:
Darks, It sounds to me like UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold might be closer to what you are looking to play based on your complaints about XCOM:UK.

Tried that game, its a piece of shit.

you're welcome.

15. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 Darks

Jivaro wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 12:28:
Darks, It sounds to me like UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold might be closer to what you are looking to play based on your complaints about XCOM:UK.

Tried that game, its a piece of shit.

14. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 12:28 Jivaro

13. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 Tanto Edge

I wouldn't go that far.

Most people are accepting, but nobody is really happy with everything in the game.
I have not met anyone who doesn't say, "It's great but.."
There's always that but, because despite it being a great tactical game, it's not XCOM.

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 28, 2012, 11:46:

It's just too bad that the challenge comes from the AI cheating and purely random shit happening to you that you can't do anything about. It's not a difficulty where the AI simply plays smarter than you do; it just cheats instead.

No diss on the game, which is fantastic, but it would have been nice if Classic could have been made difficult through smart AI, rather than giving them shitty bonuses and having totally random bullshit happen in the strategy map.

The Warspace mod does alleviate these issues somewhat, fortunately, but it's a bitch to get mods running in this game.

Creston

"DefaultGameCore.ini" file in XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config folder, then (make sure wordwrap is OFF)

Scroll down to "BalanceMods_Hard=" and to the right of that you can see "ICritHit=10" and "iAim=10" just zero those out such as "iCritHit=0" for everything in the "BalanceMods_Hard=" section and your good to go on Classic Difficulty with full AI and No cheating.

Bummer, cant please everyone. I'm and most people however are very pleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

12. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 11:46 dj LiTh

Creston

Bummer, cant please everyone. I'm and most people however are very pleased.

11. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 11:43 Darks

Creston

10. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 11:29 Frijoles

I almost bought it over Thanksgiving, but figure I won't have time until after xmas anyway, so may as well hold off until the xmas sale to see if it's cheaper. With all the good reviews, I'm looking forward to trying it out.  

9. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 11:06 rist3903

It is a great remake, but I wonder about where they could take the game, as what they have made basically rehashes the original with the rough edges smoothed out.

Now that they have gone through the source material, will they be able to come up with something innovative? I very much hope so.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2012, 11:15.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo